Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery location 6 hrs away

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hcsharp

Jun 7, 2011
Vermont
I just ordered a MY and the only choices for pickup location are 5 - 6 hours and 3 states away. Is that normal? If that's the case then I will cancel the order. Our first two Teslas were both delivered to our door (2011 and 2018). Are they likely to offer me a better choice? I live in VT and the pickup choices are all in NJ.

I just ordered a MY and the only choices for pickup location are 5 - 6 hours and 3 states away. Is that normal? If that's the case then I will cancel the order. Our first two Teslas were both delivered to our door (2011 and 2018). Are they likely to offer me a better choice? I live in VT and the pickup choices are all in NJ.

Do you have a Tesla store that's closer to you? If so, it's likely they're just trying to assign you a car that's ready now, or "soon" compared to waiting for one to get to you. If you don't have a Tesla location, you can have it delivered carrier direct, but you'll have to pay for that service now.

You can inquire with a Tesla store and your reservation number on the cost of the carrier direct service, it's likely $500 to $1000 based on distance.

Do you have a Tesla store that's closer to you? If so, it's likely they're just trying to assign you a car that's ready now, or "soon" compared to waiting for one to get to you. If you don't have a Tesla location, you can have it delivered carrier direct, but you'll have to pay for that service now.

You can inquire with a Tesla store and your reservation number on the cost of the carrier direct service, it's likely $500 to $1000 based on distance.
There are 3 stores and 3 service centers a reasonable distance away. They didn't offer me any of those choices. I will cancel the order before I pay for a carrier service. It's not an inventory car.

There are 3 stores and 3 service centers a reasonable distance away. They didn't offer me any of those choices. I will cancel the order before I pay for a carrier service. It's not an inventory car.
Then just give the closest store a call with your reservation number and ask to have delivery switched there. Unless there are laws in your state (out of Tesla's control) on actually selling/delivery a vehicle there (franchise dealers get pissed Tesla sells directly so they've fought to keep laws restricting direct sales) you should be able to get it switched pretty easy.

Then just give the closest store a call with your reservation number and ask to have delivery switched there. Unless there are laws in your state (out of Tesla's control) on actually selling/delivery a vehicle there (franchise dealers get pissed Tesla sells directly so they've fought to keep laws restricting direct sales) you should be able to get it switched pretty easy.
I've now been assigned a SA so I'll ask him. Given the fact that multiple service centers exist that are much closer, it seems like they would have offered them if they were a possibility. Maybe we were spoiled by the two previous home deliveries, but that doesn't make it reasonable to drive 12 hrs round trip to pickup the car.

I've now been assigned a SA so I'll ask him. Given the fact that multiple service centers exist that are much closer, it seems like they would have offered them if they were a possibility. Maybe we were spoiled by the two previous home deliveries, but that doesn't make it reasonable to drive 12 hrs round trip to pickup the car.
I have the same issue being in NH. I was at Tesla Peabody yesterday test driving a MY and was told, pick up in NJ or $750 to delivery to home. My M3 was delivered to my house in 2019 as part of the $1500 delivery cost. I believe that if you took delivery in MA you would pay MA tax. I'll probably pay the $750 to deliver again vs the trip to NJ.

I have the same issue being in NH. I was at Tesla Peabody yesterday test driving a MY and was told, pick up in NJ or $750 to delivery to home. My M3 was delivered to my house in 2019 as part of the $1500 delivery cost. I believe that if you took delivery in MA you would pay MA tax. I'll probably pay the $750 to deliver again vs the trip to NJ.
You mean they're doing this to everybody up here? My SA is working on finding a closer location. They haven't even offered me the option to pay $750 for home delivery. Let's see if the SA has any luck. What happened to the Mt Kisco, NY location?

When I placed the order my address in SF wasn't available for delivery, and the SF dealer also wasn't available for pickup. I picked the closest one (Colma, CA), but the text I got this morning said they would delivery to my address (it's well within 25mi from the Colma location). So I think if you email them or have a decent SA they can help you out.