Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else here had the Tesla store call them the day of their scheduled delivery and try to change the appointment to a different location? Here's what the rep said on the phone and I'm quite irritated:

Hi Mr [name], I'm calling to tell you that we have a great opportunity for you! We're calling to see if you'd like to pick up your Model 3 at our new [city] location!
So not only are they trying to change the location of my appointment literally an hour and a half before my appointment, and not apologizing for the change, but they're trying to pretend that they're offering this as a favor to me?! What they should be doing is apologizing and asking if there is anything they can do to alleviate the inconvenience.

I told the rep that I will not be changing my pickup location (the one they offered is quite a bit farther away from me) and he offered to reschedule the appointment for two days from now instead, which I accepted. I was quite busy and hung up the phone shortly after, but I'm going to have some words for them once I show up to my (now rescheduled) appointment.

It matters because I have a limited amount of time that I can take off to go pick up the car, and I like to schedule my time off in advance (it is during working hours after all). I don't have time to drive an extra thirty minutes each way to pick up the car, plus I would have to either ask someone else to drive me the extra distance or pay for an Uber to take me the extra distance, which I shouldn't have to do. So now I have to cancel the time off, make sure I'm available on another day, and make other arrangements to pick up the car. If Tesla is anticipating a change to the pickup time or location, they shouldn't be informing customers the day of. I don't think that is an unreasonable expectation.

It matters because I have a limited amount of time that I can take off to go pick up the car, and I like to schedule my time off in advance (it is during working hours after all). I don't have time to drive an extra thirty minutes each way to pick up the car, plus I would have to either ask someone else to drive me the extra distance or pay for an Uber to take me the extra distance, which I shouldn't have to do. So now I have to cancel the time off, make sure I'm available on another day, and make other arrangements to pick up the car. If Tesla is anticipating a change to the pickup time or location, they shouldn't be informing customers the day of. I don't think that is an unreasonable expectation.

While I fully understand where you're coming from and likely wouldn't be terribly thrilled here in the Bay Area with such a change due to traffic considerations, I would try to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. Delivery is now the biggest bottleneck Tesla has and so they are trying to force a 6ft wide pin through a 3ft wide hole and there is going to be collateral damage.

In the end though, you'll get your car and hopefully be a very happy Tesla customer. :)

Jeff

Sorry to hear about your issue. Inconvenience yes. Worth walking in with arms crossed or hands on hips? I would say no. Talking to them like they don't understand your issue or talking down to them. Well again maybe not worth it.

Meeting people that you will have a relationship can be awkward at times. Starting off with an ax to grind is well not how I like to start relationships off.

To each his or her own. I can say I have always treated Tesla with a kid glove. In return Tesla has been more than happy to go above and beyond for me. Maybe because I am nice, but more than likely its because I have empathy for the issues they are facing.

I just hope when you do take delivery you don't go from giving them a piece of your mind to grinning on the way out the door to your new car. Then the DS would just be snickering as you leave.

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden and MXWing
I'm mostly just frustrated that it was never acknowledged as an issue on their part and that it was so last-minute (surely they were aware of this problem for a longer time than an hour and a half before pickup). The rep literally phrased it as being a "great opportunity" that they had for me. You make a good point that delivery is a bottleneck for them and I can be patient with that (to a degree). Just be honest about it rather than trying to give the run-around to your customers. It's going to be hard not to level-set with them once I arrive and at least ask that in the future, if there's a problem, just admit that it's a problem and we'll have a good relationship going forward.

Reactions: neroden
I'm mostly just frustrated that it was never acknowledged as an issue on their part and that it was so last-minute (surely they were aware of this problem for a longer time than an hour and a half before pickup). The rep literally phrased it as being a "great opportunity" that they had for me. You make a good point that delivery is a bottleneck for them and I can be patient with that (to a degree). Just be honest about it rather than trying to give the run-around to your customers. It's going to be hard not to level-set with them once I arrive and at least ask that in the future, if there's a problem, just admit that it's a problem and we'll have a good relationship going forward.
Agreed but you catch more flies with honey than vinegar... Hehe & they have so many internal and image problems to deal with constantly plus-they aren’t a fully functioning integrated car manufacturer but more like sellers of an early iPhone on wheels. I always feel at the Charlotte location that they have ADD, and are awaiting the next appointment before I even arrived at mine lol

Sigh. I'm dropping so much money on this that it's hard to not have a certain expectation for service levels. But it's true that this is the price of being an early adopter and I should expect some hiccups now and down the road. I appreciate everyone's input and for providing an alternative perspective. I'm still going to say something about it but I'll phrase it in a congenial manner ;)

Sigh. I'm dropping so much money on this that it's hard to not have a certain expectation for service levels. But it's true that this is the price of being an early adopter and I should expect some hiccups now and down the road. I appreciate everyone's input and for providing an alternative perspective. I'm still going to say something about it but I'll phrase it in a congenial manner ;)
I’ve learned reverse psychology sci ops... friendly with a cup of guilt on the target lol

P.s. when I bought my 2017 hellcat, the shithead finance guy at the Dodge dealer submitted a different contract to Chrysler than I executed. Only found out when my payment was different by .99 cents , and I requested the copy from Chrysler, which had different fraudulent signatures on it . Police didn’t care, Chrysler didn’t care ... only lawyers cared at $200 an hour lol so Stay on top of everything at the moment cos anger clouds everything , making it worse.

A balance is admittedly hard To maintain when you expect and deserve excellent customer service. However, no car dealer or manufacturer has delivered so many cars so quickly to so many customers.

As Tesla builds their customer support, they do seem to lack business practices to fully succeed YET. but is that not true with any new and/or rapidly growing business.

Reactions: MXWing
A balance is admittedly hard To maintain when you expect and deserve excellent customer service. However, no car dealer or manufacturer has delivered so many cars so quickly to so many customers.

As Tesla builds their customer support, they do seem to lack business practices to fully succeed YET. but is that not true with any new and/or rapidly growing business.

I'm surprised I beat the numerous trolls in responding to you:

Ford delivers more cars over lunch time than Tesla delivers in a quarter!

Though no Ford can be ever equivalent to a Tesla. If Ford could have came out with a better, faster, cheaper car with ford production sped, ford production quality, and consumer demand - they already would have done so.

Elon Musk loves pain obviously - transitioning from 'easy software' to 'hard software', and manufacturing.. and manufacturing in the United States.

Tesla is going to have issues adjusting to all this. Anyone being fair would understand and appreciate that.

With that said, Tesla ownership is WORTH THE HASSLE AND PAIN.

Reactions: outdoors
I'm surprised I beat the numerous trolls in responding to you:

Ford delivers more cars over lunch time than Tesla delivers in a quarter!
Not sure how a president/ceo can be proud of comparing their manufacturing prowess (of a 115year old behemoth) with a 15 year old. Wonder how many cars did Ford sell in 1918 (with respect to the general auto market in 1918).

Has anyone else here had the Tesla store call them the day of their scheduled delivery and try to change the appointment to a different location? Here's what the rep said on the phone and I'm quite irritated:

Hi Mr [name], I'm calling to tell you that we have a great opportunity for you! We're calling to see if you'd like to pick up your Model 3 at our new [city] location!
So not only are they trying to change the location of my appointment literally an hour and a half before my appointment, and not apologizing for the change, but they're trying to pretend that they're offering this as a favor to me?! What they should be doing is apologizing and asking if there is anything they can do to alleviate the inconvenience.

I told the rep that I will not be changing my pickup location (the one they offered is quite a bit farther away from me) and he offered to reschedule the appointment for two days from now instead, which I accepted. I was quite busy and hung up the phone shortly after, but I'm going to have some words for them once I show up to my (now rescheduled) appointment.
Were they trying to move your delivery to the new Alpharetta service center location, by chance? I've been wondering if they'd be delivering cars there yet, or just servicing cars. When I got my 3 back in late March, Decatur was the sole delivery point for Metro Atlanta. I jumped through some hoops to take the car off Tesla's hands before 3/31, rather than in early April which would have been more convenient for me, just to do my small part in helping maximize 1Q delivery numbers and revenue for Tesla. (Yes, I hold Tesla stock.) I hope your new delivery date/time work out smoothly and that you love your car.

Not sure how a president/ceo can be proud of comparing their manufacturing prowess (of a 115year old behemoth) with a 15 year old. Wonder how many cars did Ford sell in 1918 (with respect to the general auto market in 1918).

Ford is just salty they have less market cap than Tesla and generate about 1 percent of the excitement. That’s being generous to Ford.

Reactions: jboy210
Ford production for 1918: 435,898 vehicles

1918 production figures here: U.S. Automobile Production Figures - Wikipedia

Looks like Ford hit 1 million cars (cumulative) in 1915: Ford builds its 1 millionth car - Dec 10, 1915 - HISTORY.com

• Informative
Reactions: njsrikar
Ford production for 1918: 435,898 vehicles

1918 production figures here: U.S. Automobile Production Figures - Wikipedia

Looks like Ford hit 1 million cars (cumulative) in 1915: Ford builds its 1 millionth car - Dec 10, 1915 - HISTORY.com

:-O wow...didn't even expect there to be a million car market at that time.

From article linked said:
“With twenty-five assembly plants…and with a big factory in Detroit assembling so many Ford cars a day,” said The Ford Times, “we passed the million mark without knowing it.”

Were they trying to move your delivery to the new Alpharetta service center location, by chance? I've been wondering if they'd be delivering cars there yet, or just servicing cars. When I got my 3 back in late March, Decatur was the sole delivery point for Metro Atlanta. I jumped through some hoops to take the car off Tesla's hands before 3/31, rather than in early April which would have been more convenient for me, just to do my small part in helping maximize 1Q delivery numbers and revenue for Tesla. (Yes, I hold Tesla stock.) I hope your new delivery date/time work out smoothly and that you love your car.

You are correct :) I was being cagey about it since I'm generally cautious about giving away too many details online, but I guess it was easy to put two and two together on that one. It would have been interesting to check out the new location, but it would have been a logistical nightmare for me compared to the Decatur location.

Anyway, thanks for the well wishes. Based on what I've been reading it sounds like it will be well worth it in the end.