Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery location is 365 miles away!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a Model Y after the price drop, it never offered to choose a delivery location (that I remember).

Now Tesla is telling me to schedule delivery in Paramus, NJ. I was expecting Boston, which is still 165 miles from me, but a lot closer than 365 miles.

I replied to the SMS, and emailed them, asking to change it, but haven't heard anything. The SMS says my car will be reassigned and order placed on hold if I don't schedule by tomorrow.

This is not a good sign of their customer service. I hope they sort this out, or my dream of owning a Tesla will come to a crashing halt. :-(

As I recall, NH is a sales tax free state? I know NJ has (or at least had) a sales tax exemption on EVs, and I've seen reports on this forum of people in NH buying in NJ to keep the whole transaction tax free. Tesla probably sees this a lot and automatically assigns things that way now. Best to keep calling and texting until you reach an actual SA, though. If the car is already on a truck to NJ, though, I don't know how easy/possible it is to re-route.

Thanks so much for the reply! I was able to reach someone at the NJ. It's not taxes (that depends on registration state, not delivery.) The reason is that Massachussets won't allow anyone from VT, NH or ME to take delivery, because those states don't allow Tesla to sell there. JFC. I guess I'm driving to NJ next weekend! LMFAO
No way I'm gonna let these state/dealer lobby stop me from getting a Tesla.

Awesome that you were able to get a hold of someone and clear it up! Doesn't sound like any of those issues were remotely unknown to Tesla beforehand, so they absolutely should have made it crystal clear at order time...bad form to let people find out this way.

Reactions: WyoDude
I'm in the same boat: Had no idea a 600+ mile round trip was required to purchase a Tesla in Maine. Supposed to be delivered sometime between Feb 1 and 7 and just got a text to schedule the delivery. When I clicked it said delivery was in NJ...

I'm in the same boat: Had no idea a 600+ mile round trip was required to purchase a Tesla in Maine. Supposed to be delivered sometime between Feb 1 and 7 and just got a text to schedule the delivery. When I clicked it said delivery was in NJ...
I'm in ME as well with an open order. Getting home delivery for $750. Check out the Tesla Maine FB group for plenty of Maine specific things.

I'm not crazy about home delivery: You have to pay for the car before it is put on a transport truck 300+ miles away and who knows what happens next. If the car arrives with issues then you get to fight with Tesla and and the delivery service to see who covers the damage. Toss in that the closest Tesla Center is two states away for any service needs tells me that now isn't the right time. Decided to cancel.

Sounds like a perfect use for Tesla Mobil Service, they get free charging so it's not too bad for them to come out. Also, it's most likely the issue is a bodywork issue, in which case you are not looking for a SvC, but a Tesla approved body shop, there could be many more of those near you.

Taking a road trip to get your car is not a big deal and NOT the last time you will take a Tesla roadtrip! If you are trading in your car it's super simple, drive it there, and ride home in the Tesla.

It is discombobulating that the dealers in your state have so much power, but it's your elected officials that give them that power and you can vote them out.

Thanks so much for the reply! I was able to reach someone at the NJ. It's not taxes (that depends on registration state, not delivery.) The reason is that Massachussets won't allow anyone from VT, NH or ME to take delivery, because those states don't allow Tesla to sell there. JFC. I guess I'm driving to NJ next weekend! LMFAO
No way I'm gonna let these state/dealer lobby stop me from getting a Tesla.
This was gonna be my guess. Lots of weird scenarios across the US because of how different states are trying to impede Tesla and protect dealers.

Sounds like a perfect use for Tesla Mobil Service, they get free charging so it's not too bad for them to come out. Also, it's most likely the issue is a bodywork issue, in which case you are not looking for a SvC, but a Tesla approved body shop, there could be many more of those near you.

Taking a road trip to get your car is not a big deal and NOT the last time you will take a Tesla roadtrip! If you are trading in your car it's super simple, drive it there, and ride home in the Tesla.

It is discombobulating that the dealers in your state have so much power, but it's your elected officials that give them that power and you can vote them out.
While I concur that it isn’t a big deal to travel to buy a car and @Robb. may never need to visit a service center again, but I’d be thinking along the same lines as him. If he ever has to get service that mobile can’t handle, it won’t be a fun experience. I know people in Asheville two hours from Charlotte that have had to bring their cars over multiple times for service that mobile couldn’t do. It becomes a huge time suck and significantly interrupts your plans.

Now if there are local service centers, just that deliveries (excluding direct-to-home) aren’t an option, then yeah, a single trip to get the car could be a bump you never look back at.

In my case I was doing a trade-in, so it was better to drive there. We missed the worst of the arctic weather that happened that Friday-Sat. and had a great trip, went to IKEA, etc. Stopped at 4 Superchargers on the way home, it was really fun.

Going to theTesla delivery center, meeting all the people there, feeling the energy and excitement, it all made the delivery experience WAY better and more special, something I'll never forget. I highly recommend it over paying to have it shipped if possible.

Glad you had a good experience. It's the same for us here in OK. Have to take delivery in Kansas City (but only 222 miles in our case). I wanted to thoroughly inspect the car before accepting which is not possible with home delivery.
Free charging for their gas powered Ford Transit vans? 🤣

Reactions: dzajic
Wow, that is good to know. Since when? I thought there was a dealer law in OK? I bought my MXP in May, 2022. They gave me a choice of KC or Dallas.
Not sure how recent the change is, maybe less than 6 months

They are not advertising it but if you ask they will change it from KC to OKC.

You have to pay up front for them to get around the Dealer law and bring it into the state

• Informative
Reactions: strider and dzajic
I have a dealership 10 min from me. Today I get a call that my car will be delivered 30 miles away at a different Tesla dealer. I asked why couldn’t it be at my local dealer and they said it’s a hassle, and if I wanted to they would have to “arrange transport” and push the delivery back 1-1.5 weeks

I know people in Asheville two hours from Charlotte that have had to bring their cars over multiple times for service that mobile couldn’t do. It becomes a huge time suck and significantly interrupts your plans.
Yeah, I had to do that so many times. Now I'll go to Knoxville. Still 2.5 hours away like Charlotte but at least they're not overwhelmed and are helpful.

Asheville Service Center plans just fell through so now I get to wait even longer!

Reactions: dzajic and Cyclone