TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Delivery Nightmare Cautionary Tale

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by chihuahua31, Jul 26, 2018.

1. chihuahua31

chihuahua31 Member

Nice summary as well! I think it falls somewhere between the two.

Also, great avatar. Possibly the most fitting avatar knowing the context from that episode.

2. Petra

Petra Member

Oh, please... these sorts of communication, follow through, and customer service problems are the same problems that Tesla has had for years. Using the Model 3 delivery pressures which are exacerbating the problems as a way to excuse the whole thing is ridiculous.

• Like x 2
  3. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

I find Tesla's customer service to be very inconsistent. My ISA experience was terrible. He didn't seem to care at all about my delivery experience and neither did the person who dropped by car off. However, I have received great service when I scheduled an appointment with the SC. The mobile service person that came was great and so were the people I dealt with at the Palo Alto SC.

• Like x 1
  4. Trevor B

Trevor B Active Member

Fanboi alert :rolleyes:

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. Trevor B

Trevor B Active Member

Not my problem ... Tesla needs to figure that out.

6. Trevor B

Trevor B Active Member

Blame the victim ... where have I heard that before? :rolleyes:

7. Petra

Petra Member

The service centers can be very inconsistent as well... with their only saving grace being that they usually try to make things right.

8. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

I can imagine. I fully expect to have a bad SC experience in the future. It's part of the growing pains for a small company which Tesla still is and probably will be for a long time.

9. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Tesla is still very much trying to figure out the delivery process for the Model 3... Clearly they need to deliver more cars than the local locations can handle and so there are going to be issues. I find nothing about the OPs description to be even remotely close to "nightmare" level. The hyperbole around here is at deafening levels currently...

Does Tesla need to improve. Absolutely, without question. Could everyone use a little bit of patience? Absolutely as well.

Jeff

• Love x 1
  10. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Oh please... Calm down...

Jeff

• Like x 1
  11. Trevor B

Trevor B Active Member

Back to the old "both sides are to blame" trope :rolleyes:

12. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

Nobody forcing you to buy a Tesla.

• Love x 1
  13. chihuahua31

chihuahua31 Member

This thread went a little off the rails. I was originally posting to vent more than anything. I am a Tesla fanatic as much as anyone. I am personally responsible for convincing 2 friend's to reserve two and a half years ago (both ordered at the end of June). This has been a frustrating and demoralizing week considering how much I touted the brand. Now everyone I know asks me daily, "Where is the car? I thought you were getting it already." My only response now is I don't know when I will get it and who is to blame for that?

There is so much buzz surrounding this car and I truly hope Tesla doesn't lose that buzz and have it replaced with "they don't know what they are doing". I know for a fact my wife is now in the latter camp.

• Like x 2
  14. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

It did. Sorry for your experience. I wish I could do something. Best I can do is say I believe, it will all be worth it in the end once you take the new baby home.

That and try to ask for some concessions. Wall charger? Discount on warranty plan? Apparel for the family?

15. chihuahua31

chihuahua31 Member

Worth a try. I just hope the fund for the $3000 MD excise tax credit doesn't empty while I am waiting (a real fear). Secondly, I hope they still have some of those model cars left.

16. Jedi2155

Jedi2155 Model 3 has Arrived.

I think we all agree, that Tesla's service inconsistency leaves a lot to be desired and that they failed as a business to make you a happy customer.

If this was any other manufacturer or dealership, we'd be much more in arms about your situation. That being said, as members of this forum, and probably reading multiple news sources on the subject, we know Tesla has multiple bottlenecks, issues with the delivery pipeline etc.

Their system simply was not prepared for this onslaught of sales at their service centers and unable to provide you the best experience. Adding on the fact that you were a "loud" customer (which a good service system would be able to address), compounded to the problem that you called a nightmare experience. Its just many of us here feel that term should have diluted a bit base on the perspective many of us have on the situation.

17. T-Will

T-Will Member

Tesla should really consider adopting the easy and customer-friendly dealership model.

• Funny x 4
  18. beachbum77

beachbum77 Banned

#38 beachbum77, Jul 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    You are completely wrong to blame the customer. Tesla messed up on July 1st claiming the car could be picked up on 7/23 without even knowing it that was even feasible. Look at how many deliveries are being re-scheduled multiple times. To recap:
    1) The car was not at the Delivery center at that time.
    2) The car had of course not been inspected by the center yet.
    3) There is indeed a communication problem and it lies with Tesla shooting themselves in the foot on 7/1. The Delivery center should be the one calling customers to announce cars can be scheduled for delivery only after they are convinced it is so. Until then delivery centers are trying to meet schedules they are not even aware of or in control of.
    4) All of this customer annoyance and aggravation could be completely eliminated with a better process flow.

THAT is the nonsense. You are correct that most have an Aug to Oct timeframe on their accounts. So the question becomes why is Tesla rushing the dates before they even know if they can meet them? The only thing they are accomplishing is pissing off a lot of buyers needlessly.

• Like x 3
  19. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

That would be because they actually are...

Jeff

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  20. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

LOL... Yeah... NO... Stealerships didn't get that name because of their integrity and commitment to the customer...

Tesla's sales model works well enough in it's current form. Introducing a 3rd party that now has to make their own profit will do nothing but jack up the price...

Jeff