Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Nightmare Cautionary Tale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla messed up on July 1st claiming the car could be picked up on 7/23.

This is the thing that I have said to myself all along. Hypothetically, if they gave me a Aug 6th delivery date originally, received the car on the 23rd, inspected it, found the issue, fixed it and delivered to me early on the 30th, this thread would be completely different. Basically, the same chain of events only with a different expectation set up front.

I think if their logistics system is tweaked to add a 7 day buffer to all delivery dates, a lot of this just goes away. Perfect cars get delivered early (dependent on the customer schedule) and only the worst case cars are delivered late.

I think we all agree, that Tesla's service inconsistency leaves a lot to be desired and that they failed as a business to make you a happy customer.

If this was any other manufacturer or dealership, we'd be much more in arms about your situation. That being said, as members of this forum, and probably reading multiple news sources on the subject, we know Tesla has multiple bottlenecks, issues with the delivery pipeline etc.

Their system simply was not prepared for this onslaught of sales at their service centers and unable to provide you the best experience. Adding on the fact that you were a "loud" customer (which a good service system would be able to address), compounded to the problem that you called a nightmare experience. Its just many of us here feel that term should have diluted a bit base on the perspective many of us have on the situation.
Why would you say that? It is not like Tesla did not know this was coming. I might agree if they were trying to deliver 5,000 units a week last December. But here we are after a much slower ramp. I raised this issue months ago that I did not see how 73 delivery centers could handle 5,000 units a week here in the U.S. Jon McNeill was tweeted about this as well.

So claiming anyone was caught off-guard is nonsense. Tesla, for whatever reasons, has not staffed the delivery centers as needed. Now they are compounding the problem by making promises they do not even know if they can keep. Sound familiar?

LOL... Yeah... NO... Stealerships didn't get that name because of their integrity and commitment to the customer...

Tesla's sales model works well enough in it's current form. Introducing a 3rd party that now has to make their own profit will do nothing but jack up the price...

Jeff
Technically Tesla does have dealerships in many states. Tesla itself owning them is the difference. Sadly, they are not set up for the profitability of most dealerships (no used car sales).

Everyone touts Tesla as being a revolutionary company that changed the game in the whole buying experience. They love the fact that you can order a car online like a pizza - a completely simple, different experience! Yet when it comes to picking up the car, oh no no no, we want the old way of doing things. But the fact is in Tesla's mind, you already bought the car and this is when they're just handing it over to you.

It's a bit creepy that you actually drove down there, but I'm also impressed because that's a whole'nother level of excitement you have for the car.

My MX was in service for 2 weeks for acceleration shudder - I hated Tesla's guts! But the second I got back in the drivers seat, I was all smiles again. I just got my M3 back from 8 days in service - I hated Tesla's guts, again! But as soon as I got back in the drivers seat I knew I wouldn't be doing business with any other car manufacturer for a long time.

Hang in there!

Reactions: bdy0627
LOL... Yeah... NO... Stealerships didn't get that name because of their integrity and commitment to the customer...

Tesla's sales model works well enough in it's current form. Introducing a 3rd party that now has to make their own profit will do nothing but jack up the price...

Jeff
Jeff, it actually isn't working very well at all and it could get much worse. I believe it is one cause of Tesla's huge losses to date and the ramp up is only going to make things worse.

If Troy's spreadsheet is even close to accurate Tesla has only delivered about 2,000 cars per week so far this month. There were 11,166 in transit at the end of June. So barely half of those cars have been delivered and nothing from July's production. That means deliveries need to increase by 250% to balance out production. Do you see that happening within the next 30-60 days?

Unless Tesla improves its process flow, I do not know how they get there. I am not even counting in Model S & X deliveries. So much emphasis was placed on production this year, that after Jon McNeill left no one was thinking about what comes after production and actually brings money in the door: Deliveries.

Last edited:
Jeff, it actually isn't working very well at all and it could get much worse. I believe it is one cause of Tesla's huge losses to date and the ramp up is only going to make things worse.

If Troy's spreadsheet is even close to accurate Tesla has only delivered about 2,000 cars per week so far this month. There were 11,166 in transit at the end of June. So barely half of those cars have been delivered and nothing from July's production. That means deliveries need to increase by 250% to balance out production. Do you see that happening within the next 30-60 days?

Unless Tesla improves its process flow, I do not know how they get there. I am not even counting in Model S & X deliveries

So what do you propose? Introduce a third party with no real incentive to do what's best for Tesla while adding cost to the transaction that's passed down to the consumer?

What "should" happen, IMHO, but would require a major sea change that perhaps only Tesla can drive is to go the "Amazon" route. The car is delivered to your house like any other internet ordered good. No fancy presentation, or anything like that. If you want to know more, watch how-to videos, something along those lines. Stop with the presentation aspect of it.

I'm sincerely asking and not trying to be sarcastic or difficult. There has to be a solution here...

Jeff

Reactions: T-Will
There are several threads like this.

Elon is super aware of the issues, and has said that he is frustrated in not being able to find enough qualified employees to handle their agressive ramp up in production.

Growing pains for sure.

I also see posts from people that are constantly calling the company for one reason or another. They are relentless is doing what ever they feel is necessary to expedite their individual issues. Kind of a squeaky wheel approach. They want to change colors, modify delivery dates, get extra time to go over the car with a fine tooth comb. They want the company to spend lots of time with them during the delivery process. They want to keep changing their orders every time something new is added. They want to get new pricing applied to their old orders.

They kind of obsess over their ordering process and want to constantly be updated on every little thing as their delivery date approaches. They want to keep checking to see what SWAG they will get or how to get the lowest interest rate in the world. They want to know all about the car, when it was built, which style of batteries they have and what version is underneath the car. They need the car to be fully charged on delivery, all the tires properly inflated (Tesla deliveres 28,000 tires every week).

Now I understand all this. Everyone wants to have as much control over their new car as they possibly can, but it DOES slow down the process for everyone.

• Informative
Reactions: Jedi2155
So what do you propose? Introduce a third party with no real incentive to do what's best for Tesla while adding cost to the transaction that's passed down to the consumer?

What "should" happen, IMHO, but would require a major sea change that perhaps only Tesla can drive is to go the "Amazon" route. The car is delivered to your house like any other internet ordered good. No fancy presentation, or anything like that. If you want to know more, watch how-to videos, something along those lines. Stop with the presentation aspect of it.

I'm sincerely asking and not trying to be sarcastic or difficult. There has to be a solution here...

Jeff
Now you are asking the good questions! I am not putting you off but I need to run to a dinner appointment so think on this let's kick some thoughts around later tonite.

Reactions: jeffro01
Brutal is being in the hands of ISS.
A car scratch is not brutal.

This repair will take longer than usual because Tesla is swamped.
Take a deep breath and count to 10. And try to remember that all the time you spend bending their ear is time they are not delivering cars.

Tracking sheet is way off now, people just don't care anymore

This thread went a little off the rails. I was originally posting to vent more than anything. I am a Tesla fanatic as much as anyone. I am personally responsible for convincing 2 friend's to reserve two and a half years ago (both ordered at the end of June). This has been a frustrating and demoralizing week considering how much I touted the brand. Now everyone I know asks me daily, "Where is the car? I thought you were getting it already." My only response now is I don't know when I will get it and who is to blame for that?

There is so much buzz surrounding this car and I truly hope Tesla doesn't lose that buzz and have it replaced with "they don't know what they are doing". I know for a fact my wife is now in the latter camp.

I am getting ready to order my 2nd Tesla (after my 1st was repurchased form Tesla). Having WAY to many service appoints on the first Model X my experience is that the Rockville SC provides much better service and especially communication that OM. I also live in Annapolis and we are about the same distance away from both. I will only use Rockville going forward. Plus Rockville has Saturday hours.

I wanted to share my ongoing delivery nightmare that I am experiencing at the Owings Mills, MD center as a cautionary tale for others with upcoming scheduled delivery dates. For reference, my reservation was made at 7:30 AM 4/1/2016. I configured the evening of June 27th around 9 PM. On July 1, I got a call that my car was asssigned and was in the regional delivery center. I presumed this meant a short truck ride away. The earliest they could schedule me was 7/23/2018 which I thought seemed far away if the car was so close. But, I was okay with that date, as it was only 3 weeks away. My long wait was nearly over, or so I thought.

After fighting with a relatively unresponsive ISA, I got all my paperwork and everything in line a week prior to delivery. I was a fairly easy customer as I was paying all cash. The last business day before my delivery date (7/21) the local delivery center called me around 4 PM to tell me the car had not arrived and they didn't know where it was. They said they had no choice but to cancel my delivery date Monday morning at 10 AM. I was beside myself, but understood I was in the middle of the Model 3 delivery surge. I said I would call them Monday for an update. I called Monday morning bright and early and miraculously, my car had arrived. They said they would inspect and detail it and I could pick it up around 3 PM. I was over the moon! All in all, it would be a delivery delay of 5 hours. At 1 PM, I called them to ask if it passed inspection. They said it did not.

There was a major scratch on one of the undercarriage panels. I asked how long it would take to fix. They did not have an answer but would by COB (lie #1). They never called back that day. I called the following morning and got a pretty condescending lecture about how logistics are hard, etc etc. I was told I was never promised and estimate the previous day (lie #2) but promised an estimate that day (Tuesday 7/24) (lie #3). Tuesday came and went with no update. Fed up, I drove to the center Wednesday morning to inspect the damage myself. My car was in the Tesla lot not even in the body shop yet. I could not talk to anyone as the showroom hadn't opened yet. I called and emailed later that day. I finally got a return call at 8 PM Wednesday night. They said the car would be going to the shop Thursday but not to expect an ETC until 24 hours after they get the car (7/27). Then, they told me after the body shop estimates the time, add 2 days because they never meet their estimates. First, after the unfulfilled promises, I have no faith that the car is going to the shop Thursday or that I will get an estimated completion date this week. So, I am in limbo right now with no certainty about the future.

I know this situation will all get worked out in time, but the whole process after putting down my $2500 has been anything but smooth and lacked any iota of good customer service.View attachment 320462
This makes me thankful I picked Rockville over Owings Mills for my delivery. Hope you get your car soon.

What a disappointment! Tesla is clearly going through a difficult time with the logistics of ramping up to becoming a mass market car company. Good problem to have but frustrating for everyone. If you don't refuse the car then I think all there is to do is to be patient. My S had a couple of deep scratches with dents from hitting a tarp flying through the air on the highway. Talk about a bummer! Anyway, the body shop was able to fix it (outside source, not Tesla) and it looks perfect to me. So, they will probably be able to make it look like new. I have had several small issues that were all fixed by the ranger service, where Tesla comes to you, wherever you want them to. They fixed things at my house and while I was at work. It has worked beautifully. It sounds like the Service Center is a very different animal and can be very disappointing for customers. Once you actually get your car, if you ever need minor issues fixed by the ranger service, I think you will find it revolutionary compared with having to take your car in for service. Good luck - hope you get your car soon.