Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery not accepted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was supposed to take my Tesla delivery today here in Columbus, Ohio vin # 076xxx but ended up not accepting the delivery after noticing the car's issues. There were two-gap issues, one with the hood and two with the tail light on the driver side, including condensation in the tail light. There were some minor issues with the trim above, a couple of the wheels being loose or not snapped in incorrectly. There was a chip in the paint just below the tail light that I mentioned above. There was a mark on the sun visor as well. Now all of these things could have easily been fixed and would of been fixed. Now for the 3 major reasons why I did not accept delivery of the car and ill post the photos too. One there was problem with the inside the car where the trunk opens from the car The ceiling of the inside roof was sagging, and the rubber didn't cover where the fabric stopped because the top was hanging too low. The second was a crack in the driver side headlight would have needed to be replaced. Thirdly there was a dent in my trunk towards the bottom of it. This dent wasn't noticed during delivery prep but noticed before I got there and was immediately pointed out to me. However, to fix it the whole trunk would of needed replaced.

Attachments

• E3601153-FBD2-44DB-A8C5-36F4088F1657.jpeg
    E3601153-FBD2-44DB-A8C5-36F4088F1657.jpeg
    555.4 KB · Views: 327
  • 7A283053-A246-4115-BF9F-57F3A7F7CDB1.jpeg
    7A283053-A246-4115-BF9F-57F3A7F7CDB1.jpeg
    338.9 KB · Views: 300
  • D54F7F10-C901-4B5A-BF89-0ED00451F8C6.jpeg
    D54F7F10-C901-4B5A-BF89-0ED00451F8C6.jpeg
    428.2 KB · Views: 301
  • 95111473-B0CC-4E36-8BDD-0561464DC745.jpeg
    95111473-B0CC-4E36-8BDD-0561464DC745.jpeg
    508.3 KB · Views: 304
  • 4BF0BBC9-6E40-49E2-B139-A218372401F3.jpeg
    4BF0BBC9-6E40-49E2-B139-A218372401F3.jpeg
    601.9 KB · Views: 299
  • 30DC00F4-6963-458A-A6CD-3042641764E3.jpeg
    30DC00F4-6963-458A-A6CD-3042641764E3.jpeg
    349.1 KB · Views: 309
  • 015802BF-C8BE-46C3-9C06-A6ABBC87E56C.jpeg
    015802BF-C8BE-46C3-9C06-A6ABBC87E56C.jpeg
    419 KB · Views: 311
  • DEE49CDA-7CD9-4B5D-B8B9-D1EEBD01CFBF.jpeg
    DEE49CDA-7CD9-4B5D-B8B9-D1EEBD01CFBF.jpeg
    392.7 KB · Views: 342
  • 53C24513-306D-48A3-8856-119E71F7BD4B.jpeg
    53C24513-306D-48A3-8856-119E71F7BD4B.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 285
I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience. :(
Can you describe the process to reject the car?
Were they nice about it?
Did you want to try again with another VIN?
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.
They had no problems with me deciding to decline the delivery. I was there 3hrs looking over the car talking to different people in service sales and the sales manager. I was unmatched from my vin # and was told I would be put back into the vin pool and should another vin in 2-4 weeks; however it was pointed out that I could end up with the same car after it's fixed based on my configuration and someone else looking for the same configuration. We will see what happens.

They had no problems with me deciding to decline the delivery. I was there 3hrs looking over the car talking to different people in service sales and the sales manager. I was unmatched from my vin # and was told I would be put back into the vin pool and should another vin in 2-4 weeks; however it was pointed out that I could end up with the same car after it's fixed based on my configuration and someone else looking for the same configuration. We will see what happens.
I rejected my first delivery 11/2 due to a dent. They sent a picture and I rejected delivery. Never saw the car in person. They were very transparent and fine about the whole thing. I rejected 11/2, had a new vin 11/3 and that car was built on 11/7. Picked up 11/28 and everything fine. They told me they gave me priority on next car after rejection since it was there issue. Local associate stated he called the plant to emphasize priority. You should get a faster vin then taking a few weeks unless it’s some unique or special configuration I would expect.

I rejected my first delivery 11/2 due to a dent. They sent a picture and I rejected delivery. Never saw the car in person. They were very transparent and fine about the whole thing. I rejected 11/2, had a new vin 11/3 and that car was built on 11/7. Picked up 11/28 and everything fine. They told me they gave me priority on next car after rejection since it was there issue. Local associate stated he called the plant to emphasize priority. You should get a faster vin then taking a few weeks unless it’s some unique or special configuration I would expect.
Totally unacceptable in my opinion to get the same vin after rejection. Sins I rejected due to dent and didn’t want that repaired car. Btw the system did try to initially give me the same vin after rejection. I called my associate and he immediately fixed and I got a new vin the next day as stated.

• Helpful
Reactions: jetsurgn
I was supposed to take my Tesla delivery today here in Columbus, Ohio vin # 076xxx but ended up not accepting the delivery after noticing the car's issues. There were two-gap issues, one with the hood and two with the tail light on the driver side, including condensation in the tail light. There were some minor issues with the trim above, a couple of the wheels being loose or not snapped in incorrectly. There was a chip in the paint just below the tail light that I mentioned above. There was a mark on the sun visor as well. Now all of these things could have easily been fixed and would of been fixed. Now for the 3 major reasons why I did not accept delivery of the car and ill post the photos too. One there was problem with the inside the car where the trunk opens from the car The ceiling of the inside roof was sagging, and the rubber didn't cover where the fabric stopped because the top was hanging too low. The second was a crack in the driver side headlight would have needed to be replaced. Thirdly there was a dent in my trunk towards the bottom of it. This dent wasn't noticed during delivery prep but noticed before I got there and was immediately pointed out to me. However, to fix it the whole trunk would of needed replaced.

wow … this looks worse than the earlier models. I think it’s not only the assembly line problem of producing such bad quality product, also the SA shouldn’t be accepting such bad quality care to get on their lot. Hope all go well for your next one.

I picked up my Y almost 2 weeks ago and had a few exterior issues. Cause of my predicament (traded car in) and emotions, I decided to just take it and hope tesla SC corrects it. I just this morning, dropped my car off to get those issues corrected and on my way out I checked out all the Model Ys waiting to be picked up. It was at that moment I regretted my life choices when I realized how perfect those Ys were compared to mine cosmetically. It also sucked that I live in Texas so crap can get complicated with delivery.

You made the right choice. Let my mistake serve as a reminder.

Don't give up hope folks... my 63xxx (late Oct build) was almost flawless on delivery.. and I'm fussy.
There were a few very minor scuffs on the hood and some glue on the exterior paint from the white transport wrap they use during the train trip. At delivery a tech came out and buffed out the scuffs on my hood and the couple of blotches of glue on the paint while I watched. He was also fussy and found a few other minor things he took care of on his own. On the interior there was a small adhesive spot on the center console from where the key cards are stuck into the car at the factory... he cleaned that up too.

At one point you have to consider leaving things as they are... My driver side tail light is slightly below flush with the hatch light, but it's very minor and I'm probably the only one that notices it as everyone else is usually very impressed with the visually impressive car (Midnight Sliver Metallic Silver with white interior). My car has no rattles so I've decided to live with it vs having someone at Tesla make thins possibly worse by introducing a rattle or scratching/soiling something.

One thing to keep in mind... end of year and end of Q4 is quickly approaching, one thing recent history has taught us is that Tesla QC certainly hasn't improved at the end of fiscal quarters.

Just got a call to reschedule delivery 24 hours before delivery time was set. Five days out because “a small dent” by the door handle. Doesn’t give me confidence. This is my second Tesla and I can say they’re more frustrating than they were three years ago

Just got a call to reschedule delivery 24 hours before delivery time was set. Five days out because “a small dent” by the door handle. Doesn’t give me confidence. This is my second Tesla and I can say they’re more frustrating than they were three years ago
When the sa told me about the dent that morning when I was there to take delivery, they said they didn't want to change my delivery date on such short notice. That said, I think Tesla just banks on the ability to fix these things after delivery. I'm sure other manufacturers have the same problems but maybe have a better process to find issues before a customer sees the car on the lot. This is my first Tesla. They need to earn my trust on repairs first before taking delivery of something I know needs fixing

Where the heck do all those dents occur on Teslas? Who drives those cars to the dealer? Monkeys?
Never in my life, owning many cars over 21 years have i ever received a car from a dealer with a dent.
Even on used cars i bought a dent was not acceptable. When did Tesla found that a dent on a brand new 50k USD is A-OK? This is so stupid...

Don't give up hope folks... my 63xxx (late Oct build) was almost flawless on delivery.. and I'm fussy.
There were a few very minor scuffs on the hood and some glue on the exterior paint from the white transport wrap they use during the train trip. At delivery a tech came out and buffed out the scuffs on my hood and the couple of blotches of glue on the paint while I watched. He was also fussy and found a few other minor things he took care of on his own. On the interior there was a small adhesive spot on the center console from where the key cards are stuck into the car at the factory... he cleaned that up too.

At one point you have to consider leaving things as they are... My driver side tail light is slightly below flush with the hatch light, but it's very minor and I'm probably the only one that notices it as everyone else is usually very impressed with the visually impressive car (Midnight Sliver Metallic Silver with white interior). My car has no rattles so I've decided to live with it vs having someone at Tesla make thins possibly worse by introducing a rattle or scratching/soiling something.

One thing to keep in mind... end of year and end of Q4 is quickly approaching, one thing recent history has taught us is that Tesla QC certainly hasn't improved at the end of fiscal quarters.

Watching these posts as I 'consider' putting in an order for a MYP. I'm curious about the silver/white color combo, any photos of your car NY_Rob? Thats a combo I am considering, but a little concerned about the white interior as I have two dogs and do a lot of mountain biking/hiking.......you know, outside getting dirty stuff! Thanks.

When the sa told me about the dent that morning when I was there to take delivery, they said they didn't want to change my delivery date on such short notice. That said, I think Tesla just banks on the ability to fix these things after delivery. I'm sure other manufacturers have the same problems but maybe have a better process to find issues before a customer sees the car on the lot. This is my first Tesla. They need to earn my trust on repairs first before taking delivery of something I know needs fixing
They won’t even let me see the car. I offered to still take delivery and take it to whatever body shop they were going to take it to myself. I was in a hurry because I don’t have a car after today. Hopefully they’re able to fix the dent and that there are no other issues. I really need a car