Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery of first Model S to Estonia soon and the road there...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very exciting! Looking forward to views of Estonia from over the dash. Would like to see the cars in a covered wagon or at least car covers for the haul. Be sure to make a close paint inspection.

Gongratulations with your first Model S in Estonia - hope everithing went ok in our ARK (local DMV) with registration!
Have been also looking forward for Model S, now might I could sometimes ask advice about the order arrangements to Estonia.
Raul - from Estonia.

So just a quick post right now as I'm exhausted from todays events (and my phone is charging the second time today already). The day has been a buzz that started off nice and calm, but as I had advertised on Facebook and elsewhere that I'm getting the car today I got some media contacts yesterday asking if they could do an interview and once it went live today my phone's been ringing red! I've given at least 10 different interviews that include most major papers at least one radio station and two TV stations. I'll try to gather the links as they happen, but I've been totally overwhelmed by the medias interest in the car and the high profile coverage it's gotten. People are really interested in the car :) I've also got at least one phone call from someone who's been planning to buy the car and wanted to get details and I've got already one person asking to be employed at my company :D

So just a few quick pictures before I fall over from exhaustion. And one of the neatest surprises at the end ;)

1397267_10152018518796543_1290558188_o.jpg

1402351_10152018645346543_93403894_o.jpg

1401822_10152019154226543_624146561_o.jpg

While swapping tires the owner of my old car showed up for some work :D

1402890_10152019160916543_1657220986_o.jpg

And just now decided on a whim to tweet to Elon about the car and got a reply in 20s ;)

Screen Shot 2013-12-03 at 20.35.43.png

Ok, now a bit more backstory. I got about 5h of sleep (due to cat starting to puke at 6:30AM and no way was I getting more sleep). So I met up with the other cars owner for 8:45AM breakfast where we had a nice long chat about the cars, engineering, science and startups :) It was in fact the first time we met even though we'd organized a huge ordeal together to get the whole swapping of cars done and transferring his order to me etc. Talk about trust. Anyway, the initial indications from transport company were that the car would be late by 30 minutes, but we showed up there anyway and were not disappointed as the camera crew from the transport company was already there and the car arrived on time.

Seeing it roll in the first time was marvellous and seeing the black brake calipers on a black car I had no doubts that this is precisely what I wanted, not the red ones, but the black ones, they just suit the car. As I had mentioned on Facebook that I'll be getting the car around that time a bunch of my friends showed up at the location as a surprise to see the car. I got it into first time review at the DMV and the whole place was a buzz with everyone checking the car and asking tons and tons of questions. DMV guys were half time doing their duties of checking it and the other half asking questions about the car and taking pictures :) They mentioned that the last time they had such a buzz there was when someone registered a Koenigsegg ;)

Now as I had given an interview about the car to one reporter the night before he launched the story the moment he saw me post the pic of the cars in Tallinn. Just minutes later other newspapers started to pick it up and my phone was constantly ringing. During the time I was showing the DMV guys where the VINs are printed etc I was giving two interviews. Then got a call from one of the major news stations if they could show up within the hour as well and they did. Just as they arrived I got my paperwork that the car had passed inspection and was ready for registering so I did the interview, they asked all the standard questions about range, winter driving and why that car :) I had to excuse a few times to pick up the phone for some more people scheduling interviews. The boss of the local DMV also showed up with his employees and was checking out the car and also making sure everything was going smoothly and getting done. I found out that he used to build formula cars in the soviet times (Estonia was quite famous for them) and was extremely happy to see this car finally arrive here. He also had to refuse some sweets I was trying to offer him because of regulations against bribes etc that are strict, even candy's not allowed ;) But he was extremely supportive and helpful throughout the process.

Once I got the car out of the inspection point and walked into the DMV for registration I got my first breather. Only got one interview call there while waiting in queue and then got the car registered without any issues, took a whole 5-10 minutes. The next immediate surprise was when I went to sign up for insurance and discovered that the offered rates were FAR lower than I had estimated ;) The insurance rate was so low because according to Tesla's CoC the car has a maximum continuous power output of 69kW and therefore the car is rated for 69 kW ;) Not 310 kW that equals 462 hp. I guess that's somehow due to the fact that you can't really run the Model S at 462hp for any length of time. Not that I would mind, mandatory insurance for 1 year cost me 76€ ;)

So I took my numbers and headed over to the tire shop. I was a bit antsy initially about the road, but it was just wet and not iced over so driving calmly I had no issues getting there (managed to accidentally put myself in neutral once and it took a moment to get used to the signal stalk being that low). Once there I found out that they were quite booked for the day even though I had mentioned that I'd be making a showing at a random point. The guys thought a bit and were able to reshuffle a few works to make me a slot with just 30 minutes wait. So we got the car in, I had to read the jacking manual and also put the car in towing mode (to get to neutral, this should really be part of jack mode by default). So we got the car up, removed one of the 21" wheels and ... ran into a hiccup. The wheels I had bought were with proper bolt battern etc, but their bolt holes were narrow enough that the nuts from the 21" didn't fit there :/ So the 21" was reinstalled and I called the wheel provider who organized new nuts that I had to go and pick up (there was some more mess that he'd gotten wrong ones from warehouse so I had to drive over to the warehouse myself, but never mind that). During the whole time I had already given two more interviews, one for a radio station and one for the financial times equivalent locally. So I got back to the tire shop and they AGAIN made room for me (they'd already started compiling the tires on rims) and swapped the wheels out. Phew.

Now a hilarious coincidence happened. While I was getting the wheels swapped my old Evo X came in for maintenance ;) That was a nice surprise and I got a nice pic of the two cars next to each other. So right now we went with no TPMS as it just didn't arrive from Tesla :( I'll just have to go back and have the wheels reworked to get the TPMS in once they arrive, no worries. Also discovered that the red plug was not supplied, but Tesla gave me 300€ credit for any supplies (which I already knew and had been dealing to get the TPMS cheaper). They promise the plug by January. As I have a home charger I'm not really worried.

Son once I had my new winter tires installed I had a whole whopping 20 minutes left to get to city center where another TV crew was waiting to make a short story about the car. They are quite well known and made a nice 8 minute clip about the car asking about all kinds of stuff. With that done they invited me over to their studio and we had a minor chat. You could see the change in attitude once they got to know the car a bit more. Initially most people approached this as a new luxury car or so, but after talking about the car for a while, seeing it inside and out and hearing the comparisons in cost and savings over lifetime of the vehicle you could see that they registered that this is a really viable car. There are so many horror stories here with people trying to use the Leaf in winter to get to a city 120 miles away and back and having to charge 2-3x each way and driving with heating off etc so hearing that the car can do a return trip and still have charge to spare somehow clicks it home that this is a game changer :) This is something I saw throughout the day.

And I definitely had Tesla moments, was whistling away on the license plate (the Tesla plate holders are about 2 mm too small in both directions) next to the tire shop when various people came by and asked about the car. Not all knew about it, but some did and were asking. Some were skeptical about the car initially, but seeing it up close the main comment usually was that "man this is a pretty car, it really looks like a car so you can't make out that it's electric".

Arriving home the first order of business was validating that the wall charger actually works. So I opened the charge port, connected the cable, heard the locking pin and then happily went to check the screen. Ready to charge. Well ... Check charger power. So I went over all the fuses etc and it looked like the fuses were ok, but the charger didn't have any leds on. Finally thought to check the underside of the charger and found a nice red button there. Pressing it everything lit up and the car started charging. Seems my house's 3x16A can easily spare 3x12A for charging so for now I'm gonna remain on single charger and keep it as it is even though the charger can also do 3x32A but for that I'd need to upgrade my houses main breaker (costs about €2000) and also install twin chargers. Probably not necessary so keeping it as it is.

So now it's time for sleep finally. Was mostly up with waiting for the SpaceX launch (which did take off and is now in parking orbit).

Oddities seen so far:
* initially I couldn't turn off creep. It was grayed out. Finally after a few hours of driving when I checked again it was enabled and I could disable it. No idea at all what caused this.
* Jack mode really should also enable neutral by default and if one wants enable park by hand
* when the charger was disabled, but the locking pin connected I found no way to stop charging and release the locking pin. I didn't check the remote app on phone, but on the display I didn't see it. I tried clicking open charge port, but the locking pin was still there.
* the car has finished charging and has entered sleep. The remote app is unable to wake it :/ I'll have to see if that's the case also tomorrow morning, probably will reserve some time for debugging if needed. Nevermind, trying again the car woke up and connected ;) Keeping it at 60% charge right now so that I can in the morning hit 70% and get the battery nice and warm by the time I leave.

Tomorrow I have another TV show coming up at 10 AM where they want me to pit the Model S against a Leaf ;)

I'll gather the bunch of links for the news stories as they come out here as well. Here's the start:

Täna võetakse arvele Eesti esimene Tesla Model S elektriauto - Kahvel
Eestis võetakse arvele esimene Tesla Model S - Auto/tehnika - E24.ee
Esimene Tesla S jõudis Eestisse
"Tesla oli odavam osta kui Audi A5"

There's even a comment from local car dealers association boss that is in general quite praising for the Model S, surprising :) But they do mention that it's not a mass market car and that it probably has a range of 300km, but the overall tone is positive.
AMTEL: Tesla ei ole massiauto - Äripäev

One of the TV interviews:
Eestis registreeriti esimene n-ö päris elektriauto Tesla S | Elu | Menu | ERR

And the 7 o'clock news:
SEITSMESED UUDISED 2013 | TV3 Play

didn't find a direct link to the episode, if you check at later dates probably have to select todays date somehow :) Anyway, the story starts at 20:30.

Ok, that's enough for today, now off to sleep ;)