TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Delivery of Model 3's?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by timk225, May 15, 2016.

1. timk225

timk225 Member

I know, I'm getting ahead of myself on this.

But I've seen multiple YouTube videos of people having their Model S's delivered by semi truck, trailer, or flat bed truck.

It'd be nice to have that for Model 3's also, but considering the volume at which they will be coming, I kind of doubt that will continue to happen. What then, pick them up at the nearest Tesla store?

2. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

The customer pays for that delivery... so high volume simply means local towing companies get more work.

3. garsh

garsh Re Member

I believe that's what happens now, as long as there is a store within reasonable distance of the customer.

4. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne Member

IIRC, if the customer is within a reasonable driving distance from a Tesla store, they have to go pick it up. If not, it's delivered to the customer's home.

5. 182RG

182RG Free The Service Manuals From Tyranny

I plan on a factory delivery, followed by a cross country Supercharger hop from California to Virginia. What better way to shake out all the bugs and get over initial range anxiety than a road trip?

• Like x 6
  6. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne Member

Would you still do this if you are required to pay CA sales tax upon delivery even though you'd pay VA sales tax also?

I've thought carefully about this (and already primed the wife). If I didn't have to pay CA sales tax, and if I could get my car at least a month earlier (than if I took delivery near my home), I would do the factory pickup and roadtrip.

7. jsrawa

jsrawa Member

I would love to do this but I won't take a financial hit because of California's ridiculous sales tax law. I'd rather put that money toward options.

8. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

Would you be double taxed? One for CA and one for home state?

9. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

Yes

10. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

You know Oregon doesn't have sales tax...

11. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

For Oregon residents. If someone from out of state buys a vehicle in Oregon (i.e. Washington), the buyers home state's tax will be included. If Oregon doesn't have a deal with that state to collect tax, the buyer will pay it when they return home and register the car.
    Shopping in OR tax free works for everyday things, but not a car you register thru the state.

12. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

That's broken. I'm reading where that only applies if you drive it off the "lot". I guess you can get it trucked to an adjacent state and proceed from there?

In my state you get taxed again if you buy your leased car.

13. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

That's why SB680 is being proposed. Specifically for tesla out of state buyers to come to the factory for delivery similar to what some of the Euro car companies offer.

• Like x 2
  14. 182RG

No. Hoping CA Senate Bill 680 passes before the time comes, otherwise I'll pickup in Tysons Corner at the SC.

Tesla tourism: Tax break proposed for out-of-staters picking up California cars

It's unfortunate. Virginia, and a lot of other states, don't charge sales tax unless you are registering the car in Virginia. Sales tax is paid to DMV at time of registration. Maryland is the same way. I can buy a car in Baltimore, get temp tags, drive it home, and only pay the 3% to Virginia. Very sad and consumer unfriendly California.

• Like x 1
  15. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

That is incorrect. From the Washington state Department of Revenue website:

"You must pay use tax when you license/register your vehicle. If you can show that you paid sales tax and used the vehicle in another state prior to bringing it into Washington, the tax paid elsewhere will be credited against the Washington use tax you owe. RCW 82.12.035."

I don't know of any state that doesn't credit out of state sales tax against local tax. The only issue is that you will be paying the likely higher California tax rate rather than your local state tax rate.

16. Dan Detweiler

Dan Detweiler Member

So do the whole thing in reverse. Take delivery in your home state and then take a road trip back to California and enjoy the sights of the Bay Area and take a tour of the factory. That might just be what I do since I have several friends in Northern California.

Dan

• Like x 1
  17. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

He would not pay VA sales tax also. Again, here is the applicable Virginia law:

"If you are titling the vehicle in Virginia for the first time and you hold a valid assignable title or registration issued in your name by another state, you will not have to pay the sales and use tax. However, if you purchased the vehicle within the preceding 12 months, you must provide proof that the sales and use tax was paid elsewhere in order to be exempt from sales and use tax in Virginia."

He would pay California sales tax only and not Virginia sales tax.

18. 182RG

Correct. I'm amazed at how high the sales tax on cars is in California.

19. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

Sure. I just wanted to make the distinction, though because how painful it is depends on where you live. If you live in New York city you could buy the car in California and take the road trip and the sales tax would be pretty much a wash. Of course if SB 680 passes then it's all moot.

20. Att1cus

Att1cus Member

I am hoping for SB 680 as well. It's a little daunting to make my first EV experience a ~2,600 mile journey but I need a good excuse to get back out to the House of Prime Rib.