Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery of Model 3's?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I did a google search on this and I am now more confused than I was before. I live in TX where we have a 6.5% tax on cars. I understand that if I were to pickup at the factory I would have to pay CA taxes (barring passage of SB 680). I think I understand that I would just have to show TX that I paid CA tax and the TX tax would be waived.

My questions are:
1) Am I correct in understanding this situations?
2) What is the CA tax rate, and is there a country tax on top of state? Let's say I buy a Model 3 for say 40k what would that cost me?

I ask, because if the rate is not astronomically higher I could stomach paying the CA tax instead of the TX tax to do the "cross-country" trip back home, and that would be my way of sticking it TX for being stuck in the franchise dealerships' pockets.

Last edited:
If there is a store in close proximity to your residence they will deliver to the store. For the Model S and I assume the Model X they would deliver to your home if a store was not convenient. Jury is still out as to whether they will continue this practice on the Model 3. Personally I would rather take delivery at the store since you can address any issues that might have arisen during transport immediately with Tesla employees. You also get a thorough walkthrough with a representative that explains every aspect of your car for you.

Dan

So, I did a google search on this and I am now more confused than I was before. I live in TX where we have a 6.5% tax on cars. I understand that if I were to pickup at the factory I would have to pay CA taxes (barring passage of SB 680). I think I understand that I would just have to show TX that I paid CA tax and the TX tax would be waived.

My questions are:
1) Am I correct in understanding this situations?
2) What is the CA tax rate, and is there a country tax on top of state? Let's say I buy a Model 3 for say 40k what would that cost me?

I ask, because if the rate is not astronomically higher I could stomach paying the CA tax instead of the TX tax to do the "cross-country" trip back home, and that would be my way of sticking it TX for being stuck in the franchise dealerships' pockets.

This website implies the state sales tax still applies, although you would have to dig into the nuts and bolts of it to really know for sure
TXDMV.GOV - Out of State and Imported Vehicles

This website implies the state sales tax still applies, although you would have to dig into the nuts and bolts of it to really know for sure
TXDMV.GOV - Out of State and Imported Vehicles

That site doesn't say anything about it, but I found this on comptroller.texas.gov:

Use: Texas residents — 6 1/4 % (.0625) of sales price, less credit for sales or use taxes paid to other states, when bringing a motor vehicle into Texas that was purchased in another state.

I think Tesla finally did put a number on how far you had to be from a store before home delivery became the number 1 option:

160 miles.

EDIT: I found it.

How ordering works
(last sentence, 1st paragraph)

Also, don't go thinking that will remain the same for the Model 3. Tesla will be dealing with a larger volume of everything, so it stands to reason that many current policies will be revised or scrapped as needed.

The comments on that website for the article are ridiculous. They are all against the prop because they think they are helping the wealthy. Common people! You aren't helping anyone get out of anything. You just are allowing people to pick up their cars at the factory for the same cost if they bought/registered them at home. This encourages more tourism to Cailfornia. My guess is that 90% of people won't want to pay California's state tax so they will just choose to pick up their car at home.

Imagine if BMW charged VAT on a factory delivery? I always wanted to buy a BMW and pick it up at the factory and do a Europe tour in it. I had a coworker do this but I am sure that if they charged German VAT no one would ever pick that option.

Reactions: zenmaster and garsh
I think the obvious bargain for SB 680 would be to allow owners to pay California whatever the equivalent sales tax rate is in the state the car will be registered. Cali gets their tax money and tourism, and we wouldn't be double taxed when we get back home. Unless your state doesn't give credit for taxes paid to other states.

That site doesn't say anything about it, but I found this on comptroller.texas.gov:

Use: Texas residents — 6 1/4 % (.0625) of sales price, less credit for sales or use taxes paid to other states, when bringing a motor vehicle into Texas that was purchased in another state.
Thank you. That is what I thought but couldn't find the answer.

I believe it's 7.5%

Cool, if that's the case it's only a $500 difference on a $40k car which in the grand scheme of things is a small price to pay for the factory pickup experience and to be able to do the one way trip back. I don't think I would do that kind of road trip if I had to drive both ways.

Also, do you save the delivery fee if you pickup at the factory? If so, I think I would actually come out ahead and feel better about not paying the tax to TX who refuses to stand up to the dealership lobby.

I know from experience that when I bought a car and registered it in Pennsylvania, with a county tax of 7%, I had to pay that 7%.

Then when I move to Los Angeles, with a tax of 9.75%, if I remember correctly, I had to pay that 2.75% tax difference to register the car in California.

Thank you. That is what I thought but couldn't find the answer.

Cool, if that's the case it's only a $500 difference on a $40k car which in the grand scheme of things is a small price to pay for the factory pickup experience and to be able to do the one way trip back. I don't think I would do that kind of road trip if I had to drive both ways.

Also, do you save the delivery fee if you pickup at the factory? If so, I think I would actually come out ahead and feel better about not paying the tax to TX who refuses to stand up to the dealership lobby.

As of current for the S & X, you still have to pay the delivery fee. It's the same flat fee for delivery anywhere. Who knows for the 3, but i would assume there is a flat fee for everyone. (averages out between low and high cost deliveries)

As of current for the S & X, you still have to pay the delivery fee. It's the same flat fee for delivery anywhere. Who knows for the 3, but i would assume there is a flat fee for everyone. (averages out between low and high cost deliveries)

Well, that makes sense I guess. Either way, not a big difference for a Texas owner to pickup at the factory. I guess that is if they still allow Model 3s to be picked up at the factory.

How long do these taxes "last"?

In other words - if I buy a car where I live in New Hampshire, and I move to another state in 10 years, do I have to pay sales taxes ON A TEN YEAR OLD CAR? (We have no sales tax in New Hampshire - but we DO have MUCH higher registration fees than other states)