Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery of Model 3's?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long do these taxes "last"?

In other words - if I buy a car where I live in New Hampshire, and I move to another state in 10 years, do I have to pay sales taxes ON A TEN YEAR OLD CAR? (We have no sales tax in New Hampshire - but we DO have MUCH higher registration fees than other states)
I'm guessing that depends on which state you move to. When we moved to TX from TN we didn't have to pay sales tax on our cars that were 5 and 8 years old. I don't know if that was because of their age or because we had already paid TN taxes on them.

I'm guessing that depends on which state you move to. When we moved to TX from TN we didn't have to pay sales tax on our cars that were 5 and 8 years old. I don't know if that was because of their age or because we had already paid TN taxes on them.

the rule on it in MA is you have to pay the difference between your state and MA if you purchased within the last 6 months.

So if you take delivery and plate it in NH, don't move to MA until 6 months later, or you'll owe 6.25% on what you paid listed on your Bill of Sale.

It doesn't (Virginia).

This is from the Virginia DMV site:

If you are titling your vehicle in Virginia for the first time and you hold a valid assignable title or registration issued in your name by another state or a branch of the United States Armed Forces, you will not have to pay the Motor Vehicle Sales and Use Tax. However, if you purchased the vehicle within the preceding 12 months, you must provide proof that the sales and use tax was paid elsewhere in order to be exempt in Virginia.

Anyone out there know much about how these Bills work?

It sounded good so I decided to look into the bill further for more details.
I don't know much about how they work, but it appears to me once it reached the state assembly, they completely changed the purpose of the Bill.

Which sounds like horseshit, but I'm not sure. Does anyone have any insight?

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/15-16/bill/sen/sb_0651-0700/sb_680_bill_20160608_amended_asm_v96.htm

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postquery?bill_number=sb_680&sess=1516&house=S

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160SB680

Rob

Reactions: melindav
Being in Sacramento, what is going on there? How can a bill that's already been voted on in senate be 100% changed in assembly?
The only thing that hasn't been changed is the author is still listed as Senator Wieckowski and the number.

@melindav

How? One word: POLITICS. I despise it. This happens all the time and how things get passed that weren't intended (snuck in) or weren't even part of the bill to begin with. Why Congress has a single digit approval rating.

Ski

Ski - but it wasn't changed or something tacked on. It was 100% deleted and a totally different topic added to the bill's number. I get each time a committee gets their hands on it, it could be edited/added to/etc, but this was just astounding.
- Melinda (been known to optimistically (stupidly) think things should work like they are designed to work)

Reactions: kelly
Ski - but it wasn't changed or something tacked on. It was 100% deleted and a totally different topic added to the bill's number. I get each time a committee gets their hands on it, it could be edited/added to/etc, but this was just astounding.
- Melinda (been known to optimistically (stupidly) think things should work like they are designed to work)

@melindav,

In all honesty I didn't read the Bills....but exactly what you said is just my point. Everything in Washington is one big "Shell Game".

To your point: " (been known to optimistically (stupidly) think things should work like they are designed to work)". I wholeheartedly think the same.:)

Ski

(We have no sales tax in New Hampshire - but we DO have MUCH higher registration fees than other states)
In my experience, the total registration fees weren't much different in NH than MA, when you factor in the excise/property tax billed by your town later. In NH you have to pay the property tax up front (that's the "mos/mils" variable number on your NH registration). IMHO, NH's way is way smarter - don't want to pay your town taxes? Fine, no registration for you. In MA, they have a whole infrastructure in place to collect the tax after the fact, up to and including sending a sheriff out to collect if you don't pay. Classic Mass... :rolleyes:

And when I factor in insurance, my TCO is way lower in NH than it was in MA.

the rule on it in MA is you have to pay the difference between your state and MA if you purchased within the last 6 months.

So if you take delivery and plate it in NH, don't move to MA until 6 months later, or you'll owe 6.25% on what you paid listed on your Bill of Sale.
NH offers a non-resident registration (and title) for non-residents who own property in NH (intended for people who leave a car year round at a vacation home, for instance). They definitely don't want you taking the car out of NH (town clerks will tell you the registration isn't valid outside of NH, but I never found anything in the law that explicitly states that).

One thing I've often wondered about, but never tried - if a MA resident (who owns property in NH) legally registers/titles a car in NH, leaves it in NH for 6 months, and then re-registers the car in MA, do they owe MA tax, or did I just find a loophole? It would probably be too complicated if you are financing/leasing.

My delivery plan is to pick up my 3 in tax-free Oregon, drive to CA, take the factory tour, and then drive home on the old Route 66 route (LA->Chicago, then on to NH).

In my experience, the total registration fees weren't much different in NH than MA, when you factor in the excise/property tax billed by your town later. In NH you have to pay the property tax up front (that's the "mos/mils" variable number on your NH registration). IMHO, NH's way is way smarter - don't want to pay your town taxes? Fine, no registration for you. In MA, they have a whole infrastructure in place to collect the tax after the fact, up to and including sending a sheriff out to collect if you don't pay. Classic Mass... :rolleyes:

And when I factor in insurance, my TCO is way lower in NH than it was in MA.

NH offers a non-resident registration (and title) for non-residents who own property in NH (intended for people who leave a car year round at a vacation home, for instance). They definitely don't want you taking the car out of NH (town clerks will tell you the registration isn't valid outside of NH, but I never found anything in the law that explicitly states that).

One thing I've often wondered about, but never tried - if a MA resident (who owns property in NH) legally registers/titles a car in NH, leaves it in NH for 6 months, and then re-registers the car in MA, do they owe MA tax, or did I just find a loophole? It would probably be too complicated if you are financing/leasing.

My delivery plan is to pick up my 3 in tax-free Oregon, drive to CA, take the factory tour, and then drive home on the old Route 66 route (LA->Chicago, then on to NH).

The one good thing that has happened in MA was the law change that allowed competitive insurance rates. When the state was the sole voice on what we would pay, many competitively priced companies just avoided doing business here completely.

So I'm glad the wife and I get to use USAA. THAT expense is at least a little lower. And as far as titling and registering in NH for 6 months, I believe that's a loophole.

Not sure how MA would be able to determine your intent and tax you based on that.

I see plenty of cars in my neighborhood with NH plates. Some people keep a PO Box in NH, just for that reason.

(That ticks me off a little....You live in a $400,000 condo, but you can't pay the $200/yr property tax on your Honda Civic? Come on now.......)