Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery on hold until July?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spoke to my SA this morning about the timing of releasing my hold (which has been on since early March) and getting the car in July or August (I'm in NY - Mt. Kisco pickup). He advised to keep the hold on until the start of Q3, the beginning of July. Since my order date was March, I'll have a good spot in the queue and won't be at the very back of it. He advised against removing the hold now as I would likely be matched with a VIN before the end of Q2 which is too early for me, unless the rumored federal rebate suddenly became a thing, then I'm game. :)

I did ask if September delivery was a possibility if I waited until July to release hold and he indicated that is possible especially based on the extreme amount of orders that are happening right now. So I'm mentally preparing for an end of September Q3 push delivery, and as long as that's the latest it goes (and not into Q4) it should work for me.

• Informative
Reactions: sgalla04
I did ask if September delivery was a possibility if I waited until July to release hold and he indicated that is possible especially based on the extreme amount of orders that are happening right now. So I'm mentally preparing for an end of September Q3 push delivery, and as long as that's the latest it goes (and not into Q4) it should work for me.
You say that now.... until you release your hold and start pressing F5 obsessively throughout the day looking for order updates. ;)

I fear I'll be in the same boat. I'm happy to wait now, but once the order is released I'm sure I'll be looking for updates.

You say that now.... until you release your hold and start pressing F5 obsessively throughout the day looking for order updates. ;)

I fear I'll be in the same boat. I'm happy to wait now, but once the order is released I'm sure I'll be looking for updates.
Oh don't get me wrong, I'll be refreshing 15x a day when the time comes. I just mean the general timing of July-September to take delivery works for me. Heck, if they said a federal rebate was coming in October I'd even delay until then.

I spoke to my SA this morning about the timing of releasing my hold (which has been on since early March) and getting the car in July or August (I'm in NY - Mt. Kisco pickup). He advised to keep the hold on until the start of Q3, the beginning of July. Since my order date was March, I'll have a good spot in the queue and won't be at the very back of it. He advised against removing the hold now as I would likely be matched with a VIN before the end of Q2 which is too early for me, unless the rumored federal rebate suddenly became a thing, then I'm game. :)

This makes sense based on historical deliveries. I have seen others still need to wait 8 weeks after removing their hold. So I really have no idea what the queue is like for someone who was on hold vs. a new order.

I think even releasing June 28th is probably better than July 1st. Doubtful anything will really match within 48 hours, but I guess it's possible. I'm still on the fence if removing May 24th - June 1st is too early, especially hearing this SA info. Even though it seems like SAs really don't know too much more than the forums.

This makes sense based on historical deliveries. I have seen others still need to wait 8 weeks after removing their hold. So I really have no idea what the queue is like for someone who was on hold vs. a new order.

I think even releasing June 28th is probably better than July 1st. Doubtful anything will really match within 48 hours, but I guess it's possible. I'm still on the fence if removing May 24th - June 1st is too early, especially hearing this SA info. Even though it seems like SAs really don't know too much more than the forums.
@sgalla04 And my SA is even based in Philly where you are. I'm picking up from Mt. Kisco in NY but have been working with him since the beginning of 2020.

For me in SoCal, a match may be more likely even June 28th. I go back and forth about late June or July 1.

I believe fit & finish continues to get better. Therefore, less panel gaps and such if you wait until Q3.
  • MY may get the updated inside front door trims in Q3 since they have already started on the M3.
  • Very small chance of MY AWD LR updated headlights in Q3 since MYP already has updated headlights.
  • 82 kwh Battery Pack. Unconfirmed MY is standard yet. Might not really increase range, but may add buffer to protect from battery degradation and better meet EPA range estimates.
  • Extremely small chance of HEPA Bioweapon Defense Mode. Only seen in China so far, but may come to the US at some point. Some suspect when Gigfactory Austin is up and running.
  • Pretty much no chance until Q4 for the Gigapress Single rear casting on MY. Definitely not expected until Gigafactory Austin is up and running.
  • Possibly better paint jobs, but not until Gigafactory Austin is up and running in Q4.
I hate the future front door trims. It means we have to buy more accessories to cover them.

Unless it’s just glued on like the dual motor badge on the trunk. Pop it off and remove the adhesive. But it’s likely some type of clip.
Doubtful that's possible. Most likely will have to wrap it like some have done with the wood dash. I've also uploaded a pic from @wm4021 to show IRL.
1621280739882.png

Attachments

• 20210419_150202.jpg
    20210419_150202.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 70
I've decided to take a gamble and release the hold on my MY that I've had on since 3/22, instead of waiting until July-August. With the NYS $2,000 rebate reducing to $500 on July 1st, I'm going to attempt to take delivery by June 30. I've been holding out for the potential Biden infrastructure plan to have any kind of progress but things are dragging and by waiting I'm likely to both not get the full $2k NYS rebate but also not be able to wait long enough for the potential $7-10k point of sale rebate, if it ends up becoming reality. Ultimately losing $1,500 and not getting the car for months.

Upon releasing hold today, my status is listed as "1-10 weeks from order placed date". I'm assuming that means today, 5/20, and not my original 3/22 order date.

I've decided to take a gamble and release the hold on my MY that I've had on since 3/22, instead of waiting until July-August. With the NYS $2,000 rebate reducing to $500 on July 1st, I'm going to attempt to take delivery by June 30. I've been holding out for the potential Biden infrastructure plan to have any kind of progress but things are dragging and by waiting I'm likely to both not get the full $2k NYS rebate but also not be able to wait long enough for the potential $7-10k point of sale rebate, if it ends up becoming reality. Ultimately losing $1,500 and not getting the car for months.

Upon releasing hold today, my status is listed as "1-10 weeks from order placed date". I'm assuming that means today, 5/20, and not my original 3/22 order date.
Please keep us posted. I think you are taking the logical approach for your situation. It will be interesting for the rest of us when you get your delivery estimate range and eventually your VIN. Good luck with everything!

Reactions: suprax
I've been considering putting my order on hold, currently have a tentative delivery of June 17-30, but I'm in no rush for it. What's the process of putting the order on hold? Do I reach out to my SA to let him know? Kinda curious to see if I can hold out for one of the MYs out of Austin instead of Fremont.

I've been considering putting my order on hold, currently have a tentative delivery of June 17-30, but I'm in no rush for it. What's the process of putting the order on hold? Do I reach out to my SA to let him know? Kinda curious to see if I can hold out for one of the MYs out of Austin instead of Fremont.
You can ask your SA or email [email protected]. This is what they told me when I reached out to them after my SA put me on a hold without my "authorization". He assumed I wanted a hold, which was fine, but he could have asked first.

1621556570152.png

Reactions: zanoodi
Today marks when I wanted to make my first assessment as for when to release my hold for a July/August delivery. I've been following the Current Delivery Times thread closely and Tesla's website. Model Y LR Estimated Delivery is currently at 4-12 weeks. I also emailed [email protected] yesterday to see if I could gain any insight. I'll report back any response from Tesla.

I did notice a few people last week who ordered a MY LR in mid-May still receive an estimated delivery of end of June. Therefore, I am still most likely going to hold out until June 1st unless something makes me decide differently. 4 Weeks will put me at early July and 12 weeks is last full week of August.

And yes, I realize after all of this, the most likely scenario will be an end of Q3 push in September. Still better than now since I am barely driving and my office most likely is pushing our reopening from July 1st to September 7th.

1621870429961.png

• Informative
Reactions: rypalmer