Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery or Service Centre for Collection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In a couple of months I am looking to pull the trigger and order my first Tesla, a Model 3 Performance.

After reading a lot of people’s experiences with delivery and potential issues with paint, panel gaps etc. I wanted to ask whether it was better arranging delivery at my local Service Centre as opposed to a dedicated Delivery Centre which is much further a drive than the Service Centre. I’m in the UK.

In my head, the Service Centre delivery seems most sensible as they have individuals on site that may be able to look at any issues with the car that I might encounter on delivery day.

I’m not sure whether there will be much of a difference, if any, but wanted to see what those with experience think would be best. I also have no idea what the process of getting it delivered to a Service Centre entails compared to a Deliver Centre, anyone?

Thanks!

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it too much - just choose whatever is the most convenient for you.

Understandably you might be a bit spooked by all the posts on this forum but there's a self-selection bias of complaints...not many people will go out of their way to say 'nothing to report'.

Ultimately if you have issues I think you need to report everything in app so doesn't really matter where you pick it up from - someone else could confirm?

I say that because I did neither of above, and had the car just delivered to me with literally no interaction or handover whatsoever! The delivery driver wasn't a Tesla person.

Thanks bhav and freekie, very helpful.

As it’s my first Tesla I also wanted to get the full experience that I’ve seen on videos about collecting the car and draw it out.

However, I’m guessing that the ‘real’ experience is going to be owning a Tesla.

Dartford is where I’m thinking to pick up, it is indeed a service centre right next to the QEII bridge. They then have a “store” in Bluewater Shopping Centre.

Would be great to hear from anyone that has experience collecting at Dartford.

Oh brilliant, good to know. I was literally in two minds between Heathrow and Dartford as I'm pretty equal distance between the two. I just figured Dartford would be a slightly easier drive back than cutting across central London from Heathrow.

Oh brilliant, good to know. I was literally in two minds between Heathrow and Dartford as I'm pretty equal distance between the two. I just figured Dartford would be a slightly easier drive back than cutting across central London from Heathrow.

Similar situation with me, Dartford would be better for distance, but I’ve not heard much about collections there other than I know they offer it there. Whereas, Heathrow seems to be a dedicated delivery centre, although I could be wrong.

Would be good to hear what you decide and how it goes for you. Good luck.

Both are service centres. Heathrow (West Drayton) is the biggest and has a bad reputation, which might in part be because it deals with more than anywhere else.

Dartford have quite a few staff that used to be at Gatwick (before it burnt down) and I had excellent service there, although haven’t had to use Dartford. I’ve read many more good reports about Dartford than I have Heathrow.

I’d be collecting from Dartford all day long. The showroom in Bluewater is just a shopfront and I don’t think there’s any interaction between them and Dartford.

Reactions: DanAndTheBeard
Both are service centres. Heathrow (West Drayton) is the biggest and has a bad reputation, which might in part be because it deals with more than anywhere else.

Dartford have quite a few staff that used to be at Gatwick (before it burnt down) and I had excellent service there, although haven’t had to use Dartford. I’ve read many more good reports about Dartford than I have Heathrow.

I’d be collecting from Dartford all day long. The showroom in Bluewater is just a shopfront and I don’t think there’s any interaction between them and Dartford.

That pretty much sells it for me, Dartford it is. It also makes the most sense for my location.

Gatwick/Crawley would be my preferred but looks like the rebuild there will take some time.

In a couple of months I am looking to pull the trigger and order my first Tesla, a Model 3 Performance.

After reading a lot of people’s experiences with delivery and potential issues with paint, panel gaps etc. I wanted to ask whether it was better arranging delivery at my local Service Centre as opposed to a dedicated Delivery Centre which is much further a drive than the Service Centre. I’m in the UK.

In my head, the Service Centre delivery seems most sensible as they have individuals on site that may be able to look at any issues with the car that I might encounter on delivery day.

I’m not sure whether there will be much of a difference, if any, but wanted to see what those with experience think would be best. I also have no idea what the process of getting it delivered to a Service Centre entails compared to a Deliver Centre, anyone?

Thanks!
I know you are preparing for the worst but quite frankly you may be pleasantly surprised.

Both are service centres. Heathrow (West Drayton) is the biggest and has a bad reputation,

May also be worth chipping in that that 'bad reputation' is delivery/collection rather than service side (two different but adjacent buildings) but also reiterated by some other service centres that have had to pick up the pieces. Being fair to West Drayton, I've been there on a quiet day (handful of collections) and also a manic day (200+ collections) and its easy to see that problems are more likely to occur on the manic days.

Dartford is where I’m thinking to pick up, it is indeed a service centre right next to the QEII bridge. They then have a “store” in Bluewater Shopping Centre.

Would be great to hear from anyone that has experience collecting at Dartford.
I‘d read lots of negative stories before collecting my M3 from Dartford, but I have to say the experience was really quite good. There was a bit of hanging around whilst waiting for everyone to arrive for the presentation, but once everyone was together it all went well.

I was armed with the checklists from here and was given as much time as I wanted to check over the car before I signed for it, and the staff were pretty helpful with any questions I had.

As bhav said - people are more likely to post the negative experiences, so just wanted to provide some objectivity!

I went to bluewater shop for my test drive, and that is exactly what it is. A shop within bluewater shopping centre, it has 3 cars (if I remember correct) 3 s and x in the showroom which were generally used as kids cresh.... and then they have some test drive cars in the carpark

I then collected from Dartford early November.

I arrived early so had to wait for a bit (but only until roughly until my collection time (cant remember exactly but may have been just before).

I didn't have a group presentation, the guy came out (who was actually the same guy who I went on test drive with in bluewater) showed me my car and answered any questions showed me the initial set-UP etc
Car was parked outside and on charge (about 80% if I remember) as it was wet I only had a quick look round outside but all seemed fine and I was on my way.

Wasn't a 'grand reveal' when collected but went smoothly and had plenty of time.

Got home and gave it a quick wash so I could dry off and inspect bodywork etc (thought I should as been reading this site before) but actually had no issues to report. And still going strong after nearly 10k miles.

Go on hit the purchase button :D

I‘d read lots of negative stories before collecting my M3 from Dartford, but I have to say the experience was really quite good. There was a bit of hanging around whilst waiting for everyone to arrive for the presentation, but once everyone was together it all went well.

That’s really good to hear. I wasn’t sure how Dartford would deal with collections compared to others. It can only help to familiarise myself with what’s closest to me on the off chance I need to go back for services etc.

Go on hit the purchase button :D

Oh I’ll certainly be doing that!! :)