Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Preference option while ordering...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just for something to do I clicked on the ORDER button today. :cool:

On the next screen you are given the option to set a Delivery Preference period. How does this work?

Presumably, Tesla will delay production of your vehicle until the desired time frame. Do they usually honor this request? Do you still have to confirm within two weeks even if your delivery preference is months in the future, or will it be like the early days of Model S production where you won't get a confirmation e-mail until your delivery preference approaches?

You will get it as soon as they can build it. I have found that 'preference date' is for people who want it delivered in the future (why they'd want to wait is beyond me--but someone might). It also gives the buyer a gauge as to actual production times right now. Once you are confirmed you will get an email with approx dates etc (now that could take a few hours or days...heard some say even longer). I ordered on the phone, so I could get questions answered, and seemed to go very quick.

I ordered with a future date preference (Jan 2014) that corresponded to the end of my existing lease. Have been told that I'm less likely to see delays/push backs with this approach. We'll see.

I ordered with a future date preference (Jan 2014) that corresponded to the end of my existing lease. Have been told that I'm less likely to see delays/push backs with this approach. We'll see.

You may want to really think hard about that if you want to file the $7500 tax credit next April. If you buy in Jan 2014 you will have to wait until 2015...just a thought.

Ok. Hypothetical scenario:

If I place my deposit/reservation tomorrow but set my delivery preference for the Spring, will I have a few months to decide on my final config (and make changes) or will I still have to confirm it within two weeks?

You can put your order on hold once you've paid the deposit. That's what I did because my original 2 week confirm period was until Sep 15th, but my first opportunity for a test drive in Geneva was on Sep 17th so I asked them to put it on hold (ended up confirming on the 20th and upgrading to P85 on 23rd). Once it's on hold you have infinite amount of time to confirm your design, but of course until you confirm it's not really in the production queue...

You call them and they send the request for hold on to HQ who confirms it. I was asking about the extension for a few days and they said themselves that you can always put it on hold to extend the 2-week period if you have a good reason (test drive being 3 days post-confirm date was as was need to get insurance questions answered)