Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery process has left an extremely sour taste in my mouth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry in advance for the long post!
Basically just looking for advice or seeing if anyone has any similar experiences cause I'm at a loss for what to do next.

Here's the story (to skip the backstory go to the ******):

I put an order in early this year for a blue M3 SR+ and got an estimated delivery date of around mid December, which I expected so no big deal there. I followed by immediately doing all my pre delivery steps and then started the waiting game. I would check occasionally to see if the estimated delivery date would change, but there was no activity, that is until sometime in October when my estimated delivery date was changed to late January - early February of the next year. Again this is no big deal I knew what I was getting myself into with this pre-order, not to mention every car company is having delays and shortages.

Skip to early November where I wake up to an email saying that I can schedule my delivery which caught me by surprise as I'm still 3-4 months a head of my estimated date (I guess someone probably cancelled their order). So I quickly schedule my delivery for the following week (about 5 days away from the day I got the email) and start to make arrangements for pickup. During this part of the process I also had been assigned a VIN and given all of the payment and purchase agreements.

About 2 days after I scheduled delivery I got a call from the service centre pickup location I had selected and was told that the vehicle's rear bumper was damaged in transit and I would not be able to pick up the vehicle on my delivery date and it would be about 5 weeks repair time. I was disappointed but, what can you do. At least they caught the damage and I didn't have to reject delivery or get stuck with a damaged vehicle. I was at work when I got the call so I couldn't talk for long, so I called them back after work to get more information.

The call centre agent I spoke with the second time (seemingly) had more information and told me that it was actually a paint issue with the bumper and it needed to be repainted to colour match. Surprisingly he told me that it would only take 1-2 weeks to get this job done. So it was looking up from here the 5 weeks turned into 2 weeks and I'd be able to pickup my car. After that day they had also changed my delivery date back to late January - early February of the next year which struck me as weird since I was just told 1-2 weeks. So I called them back just to enquire what was going on. After explaining to the agent what happened looked into it and said it was just a place holder time frame while my vehicle was being repaired and to just ignore it, which I did. Unfortunately, since that phone call it has all gone to *sugar*.

I gave it more than 2 weeks and I still had not received a call or updated as to what was going on with the car so I decide to reach out. At first I contacted one of the sales women that had given me information about the payment/ordering process. After looking at my account she was unable to find any evidence that I had even scheduled my vehicle for pickup (even though I have an email telling how to prepare for my specific pickup date, and the documents with the vehicles VIN number). She just said that I would have to wait until the estimated date I was given (January - February of the next year) to get an update.

Normally I'm an extremely calm individual, and I would usually just be more passive and wait to be contacted, but something about that last communication was so frustrating I wanted more information. I took a couple deep breathes and relaxed before I called the service centre, so I didn't end up raising my voice at someone just trying to do their job. And when I was connected with the agent he asked for my reservation number and instantly was aware of the cancelled delivery and that the vehicle was being repaired. He did not have the status of the repair so he reached out to them for an update (they were not picking up calls) and said he would call me back when he received the information. I'm delighted now because there are records of vehicle and I'm not going insane thinking this was all some weird fever dream. So I emailed the sales agent giving her an update, just to keep her in the loop in case there is something she can do to help.

Its been two days since that interaction, I have received no email back, no call back, and nothing on my account has changed. So today I called back again (really starting to feel like one of those annoying customers at this point) and I got the same agent that told me it would be 1-2 weeks (I recognized him because of his name and French accent). I think okay great this man already knows the situation, perfect. Wrong, oh so very wrong. Not only does he have no recollection of telling me this estimation, he's saying there's no record of my vehicle either and if I had a vehicle assigned to me the VIN would be present on my account (it was removed after the pick up date was cancelled). I tell him I have all these documents with the VIN and emails about my delivery date, and he proceeds to tell me this is all impossible and they are probably from a phishing site (seriously???? I downloaded them from my account and the delivery email is from the pickup location). He just tells me to sit tight and wait it out until my vehicle arrives in Jan - Feb. Whatever at this point I have no basis to argue with an employee that for whatever reason does not have the same information as me. So I just thanked him and said I would call back if anything new happened.

Honestly I have no problem waiting the extra time for the vehicle, I just would like to know what the hell is going on. It went from 3-4 months to, in a few days, to 5 weeks, to 1-2 weeks and now back to 3-4 months. And every single person I talk to either has no information or very specific information contradicting everyone else. Starting to think at this point they have just given the car to someone else! Really curious if this has happened to anyone else or anyone has similar experiences because this feels like a really strange situation that I'm really not sure how to handle.

similar thing happened to me,

was supposed to take delivery on Nov 23, then on Nov 22 evening, they unmatched my vin without calling me. I had to chase them down and found out the car needed to go to bodyshop and didn't pass inspection. Then the next day, I needed to get TPMS so I went to the dealership and they said they can't find any info on my original car like you, instead I got matched with another VIN from Fremont. I suspect I got re-matched with VIN quickly because I got the performance model.

Back to the original 2021 MYP I was supposed to take delivery on Nov 23, they said maybe it'll get fixed by end of the week and ready for delivery, but I also have the 2022 MYP tagged to my profile scheduled for delivery Dec 10th. After some back and forth, I wanted to get a car in November for the interest rate and trade in lock but didn't have anything for me. Today I told them forget the 2021 damaged car and I'll take the 2022 MYP on Dec 10th.... that's if that car don't get damaged during delivery and everything arrives on time.

Basically just looking for advice or seeing if anyone has any similar experiences cause I'm at a loss for what to do next.

I put an order in early this year for a blue M3 SR+ and got an estimated delivery date of around mid December, which I expected so no big deal there. I followed by immediately doing all my pre delivery steps and then started the waiting game. I would check occasionally to see if the estimated delivery date would change, but there was no activity, that is until sometime in October when my estimated delivery date was changed to late January - early February of the next year. Again this is no big deal I knew what I was getting myself into with this pre-order, not to mention every car company is having delays and shortages.

Skip to early November where I wake up to an email saying that I can schedule my delivery which caught me by surprise as I'm still 3-4 months a head of my estimated date (I guess someone probably cancelled their order). So I quickly schedule my delivery for the following week (about 5 days away from the day I got the email) and start to make arrangements for pickup. During this part of the process I also had been assigned a VIN and given all of the payment and purchase agreements.

About 2 days after I scheduled delivery I got a call from the service centre pickup location I had selected and was told that the vehicle's rear bumper was damaged in transit and I would not be able to pick up the vehicle on my delivery date and it would be about 5 weeks repair time. I was disappointed but, what can you do. At least they caught the damage and I didn't have to reject delivery or get stuck with a damaged vehicle. I was at work when I got the call so I couldn't talk for long, so I called them back after work to get more information.

The call centre agent I spoke with the second time (seemingly) had more information and told me that it was actually a paint issue with the bumper and it needed to be repainted to colour match. Surprisingly he told me that it would only take 1-2 weeks to get this job done. So it was looking up from here the 5 weeks turned into 2 weeks and I'd be able to pickup my car. After that day they had also changed my delivery date back to late January - early February of the next year which struck me as weird since I was just told 1-2 weeks. So I called them back just to enquire what was going on. After explaining to the agent what happened looked into it and said it was just a place holder time frame while my vehicle was being repaired and to just ignore it, which I did. Unfortunately, since that phone call it has all gone to *sugar*.

I gave it more than 2 weeks and I still had not received a call or updated as to what was going on with the car so I decide to reach out. At first I contacted one of the sales women that had given me information about the payment/ordering process. After looking at my account she was unable to find any evidence that I had even scheduled my vehicle for pickup (even though I have an email telling how to prepare for my specific pickup date, and the documents with the vehicles VIN number). She just said that I would have to wait until the estimated date I was given (January - February of the next year) to get an update.

Normally I'm an extremely calm individual, and I would usually just be more passive and wait to be contacted, but something about that last communication was so frustrating I wanted more information. I took a couple deep breathes and relaxed before I called the service centre, so I didn't end up raising my voice at someone just trying to do their job. And when I was connected with the agent he asked for my reservation number and instantly was aware of the cancelled delivery and that the vehicle was being repaired. He did not have the status of the repair so he reached out to them for an update (they were not picking up calls) and said he would call me back when he received the information. I'm delighted now because there are records of vehicle and I'm not going insane thinking this was all some weird fever dream. So I emailed the sales agent giving her an update, just to keep her in the loop in case there is something she can do to help.

Its been two days since that interaction, I have received no email back, no call back, and nothing on my account has changed. So today I called back again (really starting to feel like one of those annoying customers at this point) and I got the same agent that told me it would be 1-2 weeks (I recognized him because of his name and French accent). I think okay great this man already knows the situation, perfect. Wrong, oh so very wrong. Not only does he have no recollection of telling me this estimation, he's saying there's no record of my vehicle either and if I had a vehicle assigned to me the VIN would be present on my account (it was removed after the pick up date was cancelled). I tell him I have all these documents with the VIN and emails about my delivery date, and he proceeds to tell me this is all impossible and they are probably from a phishing site (seriously???? I downloaded them from my account and the delivery email is from the pickup location). He just tells me to sit tight and wait it out until my vehicle arrives in Jan - Feb. Whatever at this point I have no basis to argue with an employee that for whatever reason does not have the same information as me. So I just thanked him and said I would call back if anything new happened.

Honestly I have no problem waiting the extra time for the vehicle, I just would like to know what the hell is going on. It went from 3-4 months to, in a few days, to 5 weeks, to 1-2 weeks and now back to 3-4 months. And every single person I talk to either has no information or very specific information contradicting everyone else. Starting to think at this point they have just given the car to someone else! Really curious if this has happened to anyone else or anyone has similar experiences because this feels like a really strange situation that I'm really not sure how to handle.
Where are you located and which service centre were you dealing with? I am the President of the Tesla Owners Club of Ontario and can probably escalate this for you.
Email me with your name and RN number.
[email protected]

Reactions: dmurphy
Where are you located and which service centre were you dealing with? I am the President of the Tesla Owners Club of Ontario and can probably escalate this for you.
[email protected]
Would OP want that car that's been damaged and stuck in an unknown repair state though? I wanted to take delivery on November too, to avoid another odometer update on November 27 (lost 12% last update in value) but decided to just stick with my newly assigned 2022 and wait a couple more weeks, this decision could end up costing me thousands with trade in lost and potentially increased financing rate. If there is a way to get a 22 today or tomorrow, i'd totally do it, the bankdraft been sitting in my wallet getting crumbled up since Tuesday.

my family took the day off to get our first new car purchase ever and replacing a 14 year old car we had for over a decade. It's been quite a traumatizing week for us

Last edited:
Would OP want that car that's been damaged and stuck in an unknown repair state though? I wanted to take delivery on November too, to avoid another odometer update on November 27 (lost 12% last update in value) but decided to just stick with my newly assigned 2022 and wait a couple more weeks, this decision could end up costing me thousands with trade in lost and potentially increased financing rate. If there is a way to get a 22 today or tomorrow, i'd totally do it, the bankdraft been sitting in my wallet getting crumbled up since Tuesday.

my family took the day off to get our first new car purchase ever and replacing a 14 year old car we had for over a decade. It's been quite a traumatizing week for us
Damn, sorry to hear. I feel for you, I arranged for my sister take the day off to drive down and collect my old car. She lives 2 hours away, just lucky I found out soon enough I could tell her not to bother. Will probably end up leaving my car close to the delivery centre and taking a Uber/cab to retrieve it when the time comes.

I agree with you though, I would rather just wait for whatever new car comes in if there is significant damage or they rush the work. Last thing I want is to be left without a car after taking delivery if it has to go back in for repairs. Just hoping that the finance rate goes back down from 3.15%

[email protected]
I am located in BC, and dealing with the Langley/Surrey service centre. That would be great, I will shoot you an email later. Would be nice to at the very least just to get a grasp of what's going on with the situation. Thank you!

Ordered a Model X February of 2021. Was told the car should be in my position by April. April changed to June. June to August. August to October. October to December. In November got a call saying if I change to a 6 seater will get the car sooner, end of December. Agreed. December changed to January, then February, then April. I was giving up on the car when I got a text last week that the car is ready to be delivered between February 18th to 20th. Completed the application (I’m leasing the car), they did the credit check (this is the 4th time) and I made the Down payment.

Scheduled the car for delivery for the 20th (1st availability it gave me). On the 19th got a text early in the morning that the car will be delivered tomorrow at X address. At 3pm got another text that there was an issue during inspection, date changed to 24th of February. On the 23rd got another text that it had been changed to the 25th. I got a call at 4pm today, the 24th, that they can’t deliver the car due to safety issues and now the delivery date is March 11th. But they are sorry.

Waited 13 months for this car. They’ve ran my credit multiple times. My other lease expired, have been renting a car. Given up multiple other cars my leasing agent had found because I kept saying I’m so close to the Tesla being delivered and said no. I made the down payment. Completed pre delivery tasks 3 times now. I gave my rental back on the 19th, bought a new car seat for my one year old for the Tesla, and now working from home as my wife has taken my car and I can’t find a rental.

What am I supposed to do? How can a car company do this and think they can get away with it.