TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Delivery process in MA

Discussion in 'New England' started by cinergi, Oct 12, 2012.

1. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

I haven't completed the trek yet, but am posting what I have been through and what I understand to be what is left to do.

1. Sign MVPA
    2. Wire/send funds (including MA 6.25% sales tax)
    3. Car gets shipped from Cali (~7 days)
    4. You sign a Cali DMV form to get temp ID
    5. You tell insurance company you're getting car direct from manufacturer and will have the items below soon; provide the VIN and pre-set the insurance (so you can drive it on day one)
    6. Tesla provides: Temp Cali ID, check for sales tax (from your funds), Manufacturer's cert of origin, (other stuff?)
    7. Get this info over to your insurance company and get an RMV-1 form
    8. You take all this to RMV and get registered & plates
    9. Your car arrives somewhere between #4 and this item (depends on the situation)

I'll adjust this list as I get through it. I'm sure I have some stuff wrong here ...

2. ShortArc

ShortArc Member

Also lets note, according to @TroyS, there appears to be a time limit from the time you initially insure the vehicle (step 5) and your trip to the registry (step 8).

3. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

It's 7 days according to my insurance provider. The Cali temp registration is good for 90, but it sounds like the MA 7 days controls.

4. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

This is what I have taped to the back window. It came off a perforated California DMV form (with a carbon copy) -- the form in step 4 in the original post ....

IMG_0742.JPG

5. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

And here's the form in step 4 in its entirety...

photo (2).JPG

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

OK, who updated the form without telling IT?

7. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Got my title / cert of origin, sales tax check, and purchase agreement from Tesla (it's late -- looks like they misunderstood that I needed it / hadn't been sent yet). Tomorrow I call insurance to get RMV-1 form, and then off to the registry.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll also mention here that the Watertown service center opening is imminent (supposed to be tomorrow but a minor nit might delay it a few days). Sales license will follow (as long as the current lawsuit doesn't end up in a successful injunction).

8. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Cinergi, do you know if the Watertown center will have a supercharger or something similar?

9. ModelS1079

ModelS1079 Member

Great update. Thanks.

10. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Highly unlikely to have a SC, but will almost definitely have the HPWC (80-amp level 2 -- ~60 MPH of charging).

11. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

...and, we can hope, a loaner HPC adapter. Or just a NEMA 14-50 for those of us with only a single charger.

12. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

By HPWC I meant the Model S version ... tho Natick got Roadster ones (I use my adapter to use them). I suspect you could still use it with a single charger, just limited to 40A. And that's based on what I saw happen in the Model S when I used it (you could see it get to 40A, pause very briefly, hear a click, and continue rising to 70 ... something along those lines) ... whatever the case may be, they have to have a way to charge your car from a servicing perspective ...

13. Silege

Silege Member

Saw on shipper's tracking site that my 19" winter wheels/tires were delivered today in Watertown. So I assume the center is open. Anyone knows the address?

14. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Car's now registered in MA. I took the MOC (Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin), the MVPA (to show the sale price), the check that Tesla sent me (to cover sales tax and $125 for title & registration, funded by the money I originally wired them), and the RMV-1 form that I got from my insurance company by calling them a couple days ago. There was plenty of confusion over the actual sale price (it shouldn't have been confusing ... but her manager cleared it up); they were unable to enter 0 cylinders into the system so they entered it as 1 cylinder (really?!), and plenty of confusion over what a Tesla was :smile: I got EV plates just by asking for them (no proof of anything needed).
    I'll get the title in the mail in 4-6 weeks. And I have 7 days to get it inspected (which I'll do in a couple days since today would have been silly to get it inspected -- would lose a month)

When talking to my insurance company about the RMV-1 form, they asked for title number / title info -- just say you don't have a *title* but rather the MOC for a brand new car. Once I clarified that, the RMV-1 process went smoothly.

I have pictures of the MOC and other stuff that I'll share soon (once I redact them).

This was done at the Watertown RMV. Your best bet is to get there at like 8:30 and stand in line for the 9am opening. You'll hopefully get out of there by 11.

I then went to the Tesla Watertown service center which opened today (woot!) and got my front plate bracket installed (so I can get inspected).

- - - Updated - - -

457 Pleasant St. There's no markings on the building. It's a white building on a corner. I'll post pictures in a new thread shortly.

15. ShortArc

ShortArc Member

Great thanks for the update cinergi!
    Hopefully it will be my turn at the registry in two weeks...
    We should be getting a discount on the final delivery charges. Never thought I would ever be standing in line at the Registry again (last time was a long long long time ago)

16. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

RMV-1
    RMV-1.jpeg

MCO
    MCO.jpeg

And you'll get a check made out to the Mass DOT that you can hand directly to them.

17. Silege

Silege Member

Saw from shipper's tracking my 19" winter wheels/tires were delivered to Watertown today. Seems to indicate the Watertown service center is now open. Anyone knows the address?

18. dennis25

dennis25 Member

that's pretty sweet Ben, congrats!

19. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

It is open, yes. Please see the Watertown thread in the New England area. Plus, I gave you the address in reply to your previous message above already :smile:

20. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

From Ben's earlier post: "457 Pleasant St. There's no markings on the building. It's a white building on a corner."

Silege, are you a sig holder? If not what was your reservation number?

Thanks,
    /Ed