Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Profile Financing Step and Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello to all. My wife and I just placed an order for a LR MY (midnight silver, tow hitch) last night; we’re pretty excited! We did want to wait a little longer to get the 5K rebate from NJ when it comes back in July, but our current (very old) car is starting to have transmission issues. C'est la vie.

So all this to say we don’t want to do anything to inhibit delivery timing, which is already a bit delayed the past month from what I’ve read. We completed most of the delivery profile (pickup location Springfield NJ, registration information - no questions on insurance yet?) and we’ve now reached financing. However, I don’t want to apply until I know we’re closer to the delivery date (current projection from Tesla is May 15 - June 14th). Maybe an amateur hour question, but can I just stay at this step for a few weeks? I got a text telling me to complete everything within 72 hours or delivery could be delayed...but I don’t want to have multiple hard pulls on my credit because the delivery takes longer than anticipated. Is there something else I should do at this step if I need to close it out before being put in line for a VIN?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Reactions: qman66
I'm at the same step (same configuration as well!) and I've been holding off on putting in financing for the same reason. They'll assign you a VIN once it's available in your configuration, even if you don't complete the financing step. Once they have your VIN, the delivery date will be a lot more solid.

Reactions: Mr_Bob
Excellent thank you! I was a I worried given the text I received, but I guess so long as they have delivery location and registration information set I should be good. I’ll wait for a VIN assignment before applying. Thanks so much for the advice (and great configuration choices).

Reactions: Sudsington
Little update to this. I had to call Tesla support yesterday to fix a small issue with my order (the address it autopoulated misspelled my town ;) ). The support agent noticed I had the financing tab still open and indicated that, with permission, she’d like to temporarily change it to “cash” so the profile could be complete. She said that would be the fastest way to us receiving a VIN. Once we have a VIN, she said to call back to switch to financing and they would rush the financing application if necessary.

I’m unsure if this is the norm but we did take her advice and switch to “cash” until we get a VIN. Hopefully that works out; we are putting about half down, but I’m not prepared to drop the full 53k+ right now.

Little update to this. I had to call Tesla support yesterday to fix a small issue with my order (the address it autopoulated misspelled my town ;) ). The support agent noticed I had the financing tab still open and indicated that, with permission, she’d like to temporarily change it to “cash” so the profile could be complete. She said that would be the fastest way to us receiving a VIN. Once we have a VIN, she said to call back to switch to financing and they would rush the financing application if necessary.

I’m unsure if this is the norm but we did take her advice and switch to “cash” until we get a VIN. Hopefully that works out; we are putting about half down, but I’m not prepared to drop the full 53k+ right now.
I've heard of people doing this to get faster delivery and they are definitely able to change the payment method back to financing. That's a solid support agent!

I've heard of people doing this to get faster delivery and they are definitely able to change the payment method back to financing. That's a solid support agent!

Agreed, I was really impressed with Tesla’s agent. Very knowledgeable and able to answer all my other questions about the process. I might call in to get it switched when I’m just about at my delivery window just so it doesn’t need to rush; I have a very high credit score but I‘ve never had an auto loan before (just cards, student loans, and recently a mortgage) so if anything goes amiss I want time to apply elsewhere. I’m probably being paranoid, but better safe than sorry!

I'm curious if having your Trade-in valuation in Progress affect delivery? I got an email from Tesla today saying to "Complete your Pre-Delivery Tasks" which got me excited until I realized it was really Tesla who needs to do work - the Trade-In Valuation is still in progress but hopefully will be done today or tomorrow according to my SA.

I'm curious if having your Trade-in valuation in Progress affect delivery? I got an email from Tesla today saying to "Complete your Pre-Delivery Tasks" which got me excited until I realized it was really Tesla who needs to do work - the Trade-In Valuation is still in progress but hopefully will be done today or tomorrow according to my SA.
So if this is helpful the customer service agent from Tesla indicated that we wanted to get my profile to the point where “prepare for delivery” is checked off when you look at your overview. Something about how the system prioritizes vehicles. I’d check to see if that’s checked off.

Attachments

• 9192085A-B1B5-466E-8585-6F3FC38EC96F.jpeg
    9192085A-B1B5-466E-8585-6F3FC38EC96F.jpeg
    245.8 KB · Views: 653
I did the CASH method, not treating it any different in speeding up delivery of the car but it basically made it go away to the final step.

When a VIN was assigned to me a few days after and a delivery day, I called my SA to have them change back to Tesla Financing and then went thru those steps.

Reactions: Mr_Bob
You dont have to do financing until you get your VIN number or even set a date to take delivery. It will not influence your delivery date. Also, sometimes when you're doing a trade in they will lock you to the "pay Cash" part. Just call your service center and they will unlock the finance/lease part and you can apply from there. It will not make the delivery faster or slower

Reactions: Emmadiane
Can confirm it's easy to flip between payment methods simply by contacting your sales advisor or Tesla financing (I asked via email). Mine sat as a lease for the entirety of my order, and I asked them to switch to financing (I'm only two days out from delivery). They updated my account which essentially served to display the other payment options which are normally only visible earlier in the order process. I just received financing approval which took approximately 15 minutes.

Reactions: swheat6345
Can confirm it's easy to flip between payment methods simply by contacting your sales advisor or Tesla financing (I asked via email). Mine sat as a lease for the entirety of my order, and I asked them to switch to financing (I'm only two days out from delivery). They updated my account which essentially served to display the other payment options which are normally only visible earlier in the order process. I just received financing approval which took approximately 15 minutes.
Was wondering if it would cause problems. Did not think it would but appreciate the information on your experience.

Was wondering if it would cause problems. Did not think it would but appreciate the information on your experience.
I had a very similar experience, it didn’t delay anything or cause problems for me either. I emailed asking to reset the financing step and that was done immediately, I reapplied for financing and got my quote within 10 minutes

When I was applying with Tesla for financing, the SA said it could take a little longer to get a decision as there were only 3 people in CA working on financing. By the time I got home (less than 30 minutes), I was already approved for financing!

Agreed, I was really impressed with Tesla’s agent. Very knowledgeable and able to answer all my other questions about the process.
Mr_Bob, who was the SA at Springfield NJ that you liked so much? Maybe I can use same. I had one guy I was working with at Springfield (Brandon) when I got my test drive last month but he since quit.

Mr_Bob, who was the SA at Springfield NJ that you liked so much? Maybe I can use same. I had one guy I was working with at Springfield (Brandon) when I got my test drive last month but he since quit.
I never caught his name unfortunately. He has black hair parted in the center, about 5,11. I also spoke with Constantine on the phone scheduling delivery and figuring out how to pay our remaining balance by check. He got me switched over to financing as well; not sure why I was worried about it the system approved me in 30 seconds.

We ordered on 9/30/2021 and initially had a delivery date of April/May 2022. A few weeks ago we saw that this moved up to Feb/March 2022. My wife checked the status on Friday and it moved back to June.

Model Y:
  • Long Range All-Wheel Drive
  • Midnight Silver Metallic Paint
  • 19’’ Gemini Wheels
  • Black and White Premium Interior
  • Five Seat Interior
  • Autopilot
Our order did not show that the delivery profile was complete until we made an adjustment on Friday. Our profile listed cash as the payment method but we had a trade-in. Our trade-in offer was not accepted as it said that the offer was only good for 60 days and we didn't have a delivery date within 60 days.
It seems that they may have a broken system so if you list financing or trade-in then you never get into the build stage. As soon as we deleted the trade we got an email saying that they are building our Tesla.

When we have spoken to them they tell us that it doesn't matter but I can clearly see that others are getting their Model Y's well before 9 months.