Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery question. External Financing.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

alexgr

Aug 13, 2019
I have MY delivery scheduled on Monday next week, but our delivery coordinator went AWOL after basically sending us one message a week ago. I am financing about 75% of the car through BofA. The bank has the VIN number and I have a bank's letter with some reference code and instructions for "dealerships". Is that letter (and my account information for remaining 25% of the car's cost) all I need on the delivery day? Or should I and/or my bank do something else before Monday's delivery?

When I called Tesla and waited for about 40 minutes on hold, a person told me to ask the bank to write a cashier's check. I think Tesla clearly can layoff people like that without problem. I don't understand why it is so hard to write a clear manual on the delivery/financing/etc. procedures once and for all.

Anyway, could someone share here your recent experience going through similar payment option at delivery? Thanks.

Delivery is still a hassle, not smooth at all. Just received my 2nd Tesla and the experience was choppy, like 4 years ago. Growing pains, quarter-end pressure.

I'd recommend goint with Tesla's financing and then later re-financing with whomever.

similar situations when there are third party financing involved. on my order, on my two friends orders.

Tesla is notoriously bad at customer service because their products have absolute advantages over others.

Need more competition so they care about customer service as they do to their products.

The bank has the VIN number and I have a bank's letter with some reference code and instructions for "dealerships". Is that letter (and my account information for remaining 25% of the car's cost) all I need on the delivery day? Or should I and/or my bank do something else before Monday's delivery?

I have USAA for financing and they provided me a "Dealer Funding Request" document. I applied and was granted the loan pre-VIN, so there is no VIN on it, but otherwise it sounds similar to yours. A bunch of codes and instructions for the dealers to fill out and fax back to USAA. I wasn't entirely sure this was going to work but I found a few postings online that gave me hope.

Today I got my VIN and as soon as it did, I contacted the SA (whom I literally never heard from other than the automated texts) & emailed the local sales center. Sent them the Dealer Funding Request letter from USAA with my Reservation Number. Eventually someone on the SA side replied to my text and sent me their email address, so I sent them the letter as well.

Showed up at the Service Center 2 hours later and got my MY. The only variation from the normal delivery process is that apparently USAA requires a wet signature on the MVPA, so they had us (myself and wife/co-signer) actually sign the MVPA (with like pens and stuff, crazy).

In your case, I would suggest you send them the dealership financing paperwork in advance so they can get that squared away and that "payment" applied to your account. Then day-of you should only need to bring the remainder balance payment.

And I agree, Tesla sucks at clearly communicating things. Most people today are getting a large majority of their information from forums like this one. It's probably because they have no PR team to go "Hey, people complain about not understand this simple thing, lets get someone to fix it". However the thing to keep in mind is that Tesla, for all their "we don't DO dealership" bluster, is the outlier in a land of dealerships. They KNOW full well how to get car financing done just like a dealership would because without it - they won't get paid. And especially at times like now with the end-of-quarter, they REALLY want to get cars sold and out the door (and that requires they get paid).