Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Report + Week One

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An taste of the Model X timeline for a low VIN delivery… By March I was seeing a few Model X’s with my exact configuration, but with VIN #’s 1000’s higher. Really shook my confidence in getting a problem free “early” VIN vehicle, but here’s how everything went down.

I decided to go through with the purchase since the car was a March build and the body was generally 95% which was my biggest concern (didn't want to accept a body that would require repaint/rework). So far the car has been great, with only one FWD issue that I've contacted Tesla to fix/adjust.

Timeline (the gory details)

11/4/2013 Reserved with $5K deposit
12/7/2015 Configure your Model X Invite (e-mail)
12/15/2015 Order Confimed - VIN 00026x assigned!

P90DL, 22” Onyx Black Wheels, 6 seat, Autopilot, Premium Package, Hi-Fi Sound, Subzero, Towing

2/4/2016 DS assigned
2/17/2016 DS e-mails and says “delivery within 2 month range”
3/10/2016 Telsa web site updated to show “3/24-3/31” delivery window
3/11/2016 Bulk e-mail from Jon McNiel - “Your X is built!”
3/11/2016 DS says to submit finance app and schedule trade-in for Model S, but my Model X is “still in active production”
3/14/2016 Submitted Tesla financing and approved
3/15/2016 DS confirms trade-in approval within 2-weeks or 500 miles on Model S
3/23/2016 DS says “Week of 3/28” for delivery
3/26/2016 Model S trade-in inspection completed
3/28/2016 DS contacts me to proceed with trade-in - I refuse until I see the Model X
3/31/2016 DS says we’re going to miss delivery this week since vehicle is in “Extended Quality Check”
4/1/2016 DS says delivery now “mid-April” since vehicle is in “Final Inspection”
4/13/2016 No contact from DS - so considering abandoning Model X due to poor quality reports
4/14/2016 DS says I’ll lose $5K, but delivery should now be by “end of April”
4/22/2016 Surprise - DS says car has been shipped to SC I can schedule pickup on 4/27
4/23/2016 Stopped by SC to preview car - was filthy and has loose body trim and minor scratches (clearly been stored outside - or at least a month ;-). Third row seat hardware has surface rust, but not as bad as others. Lots of debris in the interior (QA/reworks?). SC team seemed surprised by the items I pointed out and committed to get the issues corrected before delivery appointment. Clearly a big cleanup job for the SC team given the condition the factory releases the vehicles in. Body panels are good though, unlike 2 other Model X’s in the SC which have massive alignment problems with the rear hatch. Build plate shows “3/16” for build month, so I was relieved the car was not part of the Jan/Feb builds which seemed to have more issues.
4/26/2016 Paperwork finally shows up on Telsa web site to review final price
4/27/2016 Final delivery! SC team got the vehicle cleaned up and trim pieces reattached to my satisfaction. I’ll take care of the remaining paint scratches myself.

Verdict - Awesome vehicle and technology - love the upgrade to autopilot and dual-motor performance! Horrible Tesla communication, and factory QC which seems so avoidable at this stage in Tesla’s evolution. Clearly “going the extra mile” by the SC team to make up for the factory issues. Overall, cautiously optimistic on the new Model X. Keeping my fingers crossed for no more than 1-2 visits for possible door teething issues if any arise.

IMG_1006.jpg IMG_1005.jpg

Rear hatch body fit - March build (mine) vs January build (blue one)
IMG_1001.jpg IMG_0995.jpg

One Week Later Results
- 300+ miles of driving
- Love the car and second row access with FWDs
- General interior fit/finish is definitely better than my earlier Model S
- No issues with electronics
- One software update so far

First FWD problem...
- Right side FWD makes contact with the body when parked on a nose-high incline in my driveway (assuming due to weight of the door affecting the alignment) - the glass "hits" the chrome trim on the body. The forward chrome trim also gets pulled out slightly since it makes contact as well. I'm assuming Tesla can adjust the door, but I'll stick with opening/closing on flat surfaces for now.

IMG_1324.jpg IMG_1328.jpg IMG_1322.jpg

Thank you for the detailed report.

I'm a bit concern about the rust on the 3rd row seats base. I have seem quite a few post about this problem and I saw this rust last week when I test drive model x in Portland store. The store also put that testing car for sale too.

After sc cleared the rust, does it look just like new? I'm afraid those rusts will come back after awhile consider the car is only a few month old at most