Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Scheduled... when do I see the Purchase Agreement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I only received my Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement (which included all of the details about my order, payments and financing on it) a few hours ago. I had to electronically sign it and then it got sent back to Tesla for approval and for their signature. It let me download a copy of the signed version that was sent back to Tesla and I forwarded that over to my credit union.

I noticed this morning that I was able to submit my down payment through my Tesla account (which I did) and shortly after that I received an email with a link to sign the MVPA. So my guess would be that you won't receive your purchase agreement until your down payment has been taken care of.

• Informative
Reactions: fseir and Kipp
I noticed this morning that I was able to submit my down payment through my Tesla account (which I did) and shortly after that I received an email with a link to sign the MVPA.
Side note: Do they require any more money before delivery other than the $2,500 for ordering? I am assuming not if you are getting your own financing. Just hand them a check at delivery?

Side note: Do they require any more money before delivery other than the $2,500 for ordering? I am assuming not if you are getting your own financing. Just hand them a check at delivery?
You don't hand them a check, but they give you a link on your account to make payment. Otherwise, your bank takes care of the wiring/payment. Don't believe we can just write a check at delivery. At least for sure not in Texas as they require payment before the vehicle can be loaded onto the truck.

Reactions: WileyTheMan

You don't hand them a check, but they give you a link on your account to make payment. Otherwise, your bank takes care of the wiring/payment. Don't believe we can just write a check at delivery. At least for sure not in Texas as they require payment before the vehicle can be loaded onto the truck.

You’ll have to pay whatever title and registration fees apply in your state. In NJ the title fee is $85 and the registration is $311. I wanted to keep the monthly payments as low as possible so I decided to make a decent down payment. When I submitted the down payment my title and registration fees were added onto that. I had the option to either do my down payment directly to Tesla through my Tesla account or put the down payment in my credit union account. I elected to just do the electronic payment through Tesla.

Here’s a direct quote from an email my ISA sent me the other day:

For the financed portion of your payment, if your financial institution will be remitting payment via wire transfer or by mailing a cashier’s check – please ensure the funds are sent at least three business days prior to your delivery date. This will help ensure the funds have been received by Tesla in time for your scheduled delivery. You may also bring a physical check from your financial institution with you to your delivery appointment.

So yes, depending on your state you can just give them a check at delivery for the remaining balance. No way would they accept a personal check though, needs to be a certified check from a bank or a check that your own bank or credit union sends you. I’m going to have my credit union electronically transfer their portion of the balance. I despise paper! :D

I only received my Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement (which included all of the details about my order, payments and financing on it) a few hours ago. I had to electronically sign it and then it got sent back to Tesla for approval and for their signature. It let me download a copy of the signed version that was sent back to Tesla and I forwarded that over to my credit union.

I noticed this morning that I was able to submit my down payment through my Tesla account (which I did) and shortly after that I received an email with a link to sign the MVPA. So my guess would be that you won't receive your purchase agreement until your down payment has been taken care of.
Submit your down payment how? Put in your bank account info?

Also, the purchase agreement has sales tax, and everything right? The one you get when confirming order doesn't

Submit your down payment how? Put in your bank account info?

Also, the purchase agreement has sales tax, and everything right? The one you get when confirming order doesn't

There was a new section in my Tesla account to do this. I entered the amount I wanted to pay towards the down payment as well as the routing and account number for my checking account.

Yes, the purchase agreement has basically everything on it: your reservation number, VIN, build description, mileage (everyone’s agreement says 50 miles but most have reported less than 10 miles on the odometer when taking delivery), final purchase price, trade-in credit (if applicable), any tax and title / registration fees. It also lists your $1000 reservation and $2500 order deposits. Everything is itemized.

The final two pages in the PDF copy I received also include a “Trade-In Annex” that I assume is signed when you trade-in your current vehicle during your delivery appointment and there is also a “Delivery Declaration” which you sign during delivery confirming that you have taken delivery of the car.

anyone asked about using a credit card (to earn points) for say, the downpayment, or taxes?

At least through my Tesla account when submitting my down payment the only option I had was to use ACH electronic transfer to transfer the money from either a checking or savings account. There was no credit card option and I doubt there will be one. Tesla doesn’t want to pay the credit card processing fees, especially if you’re putting a very sizable down payment. Say you put down $35K and there’s a 2% credit card transaction fee on Tesla’s end. That’s $700 in lost profit for them.

Reactions: erthquake
I'm bringing the ol' fashioned cashier's check from my Credit Union. Somehow, the idea of walking in there when they already have all of my money makes me slightly nervous, maybe I'm just thinking of the days of always needing a point of leverage at dealerships. But silly as it is, having that check in my hand and not handing it over until I've seen the car is somewhat reassuring.

Reactions: Insight75

I’m sure you’ll get to do this very soon since your delivery is only a week away now. If I recall correctly I noticed several days back after I clicked back into the payment method section in my Tesla account that I was able to fill out more info about my financing through my credit union. I specified my down payment here as well as the name of the credit union I’m using. After I did that it changed the payment method from pending to complete. Or maybe it was that I noticed that the payment method changed from pending to incomplete and after I submitted the info then it changed to complete. I think it was the latter of the two but I’m not 100% certain.

If you haven’t been able to do so already try clicking back into the payment method section and see if it allows you to fill in additional info now.

I only neurotically check every 33 minutes...

Actually I'm trying hard to just check once a day, else I will check every 20 seconds. Why don't they just email you updates?! It would lessen the load on the server.

I'm sure they would email you about this stuff eventually. It's just that we're all a bit crazy here and we all check our Tesla accounts several times a day and notice the changes before they even get a chance to email us about it. I'm sure you'll have your Model 3 next Friday and will forget all about the ordering process anxiety :)

I just paid the final difference in the total minus deposits and the loan amount. It now says the car is paid for, but still waiting for the final purchase agreement so that I can actually get the process moving through Tech CU. How long did this take? I've had my VIN for a week and everything finalized Tuesday 3/13.

Reactions: Kipp
I got my MVPA the week of my delivery. Was a bit of a last minute scramble to get it to my credit union to process the loan, then the credit union to cut the cashiers check for the loan amount to Tesla, but I did get it all worked out in the end.

I just paid the final difference in the total minus deposits and the loan amount. It now says the car is paid for, but still waiting for the final purchase agreement so that I can actually get the process moving through Tech CU. How long did this take? I've had my VIN for a week and everything finalized Tuesday 3/13.

I got an email with a link to sign my MVPA about an hour or two after I submitted the down payment on my Tesla account. I noticed I was able to do this before my ISA got the chance to let me know. Right after I did the down payment I emailed my ISA and basically said “I hope I’m not stepping on your toes here, but I saw I was able to do the down payment on my Tesla account so I did it a few minutes ago”. Shortly after that she replied saying that the contracts team is sending the final docs to e-sign and sure enough just after that email from my ISA I got the email with the MVPA e-sign link. About 4 or 5 hours after that I got another email which had the MVPA now with both mine and Tesla’s signatures on it. They CC’d my loan guy at the credit union on that email as well so I didn’t even have to forward the signed copy to him.

My guy at the credit union says he’ll have the final loan docs ready for my signature on Monday. This wait really does get worse as you get closer to the finish line!

• Informative
Reactions: erthquake