Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Sequence - Regular U.S. Model S before European Signature Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And the legal requirements when other cars could meet them maybe this one can as well.

I thought long and hard about this. Maybe the best way for this would be to register and insure the Model S in the U.S. and drive around in Europe with an American plate. Here in Switzerland I see a lot of peoples driving around with american license plates and I think they are doing this for similar reasons, because they're mostly driving cars you can't buy here. On the other hand these people are probably american citizens living and working here in Switzerland (We have many Americans working here, because of the higher slaries etc. )

But what I don't know is, if it is possible to register and insure a car in the U.S. if you're not a U.S. citizen and not living there?

So if i could drive with a Canadian plate in Europe that would be great.

At least in Switzerland this should be no Problem if you don't plan to stay indefinitely. I know Germans living here in Switzerland for a long time now and they're still driving around with German license plates.

In Europe it is common to see large quantities of cars with foreign plates. When I drive on the autobahn I see cars from everywhere in Europe, Russia, USA and Africa. But in some EU-Countries there could be laws obligating you to register your car locally if you're living there permanently.

But what I don't know is, if it is possible to register and insure a car in the U.S. if you're not a U.S. citizen and not living there?

The first problem you run up against is the requirement for a U.S. address. I did know people in Europe with U.S. plates but they were all military; I use the past tense as there was a DoD change at some point in time to prod U.S. forces to switch to local plates for security reasons.

They did some kind of mimicry over here to blend into the general public:
320px-HK-Nummernschild.jpg