Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery / Service Issues (panel gaps, delivery delays / issues / Service problems etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yea you have every right. I'm hoping yours comes out pristine! :fingers-crossed

In my specific case the door closing issue was the placement of the metal latch. Was a 2 minute fix on their part. I don't believe that itself has any issue to do with the frame. Seems more likely to be poor placement of it as opposed to distortion of the frame, but maybe it's worth me taking a peak now to see if its placement now reflects its counterpart on the other side of the vehicle.
Yeah I guess I am more referencing the video where it is pretty clear through multiple fitment issues that the frame of his car is completely messed up. If yours was that easily fixed, then I think that's a different issue!

Reactions: To3OrNotTo3
Yeah I guess I am more referencing the video where it is pretty clear through multiple fitment issues that the frame of his car is completely messed up. If yours was that easily fixed, then I think that's a different issue!
I should probably watch his video! Thanks for the heads up, especially since safety is a major selling point of the car for me.

Speaking of safety, the car avoided its first accident today. Car in front of me abruptly stopped due to it getting freaked out by a car in the opposing lane of traffic coming over the cobblestone middle lane divider to get into the left lane early (which it's not supposed to do). I foolishly had looked away for a moment thinking there'd be no reason the car in front of me would have had to slow down for any reason with the light having just turned green and it being the lead car, but me and the the software suite applied brakes at the same time (at least that's what it felt like) after the software alerted me. Was confused to why the car in front of me stopped, but was able to review the footage afterwards thanks to the onboard dashcam

moderator note: creating master thread for these, as unfortunately there are a decent amount of them and I would like them consolidated in one thread.

Note: when we merge posts from different threads together, the forum software does this by chronological date / time the post was made, so sometimes the conversation gets broken up a bit. Apologizing in advance for that, but I also dont want several different threads on basically the same topic).

Reactions: Tholland
moderator note: creating master thread for these, as unfortunately there are a decent amount of them and I would like them consolidated in one thread.

Note: when we merge posts from different threads together, the forum software does this by chronological date / time the post was made, so sometimes the conversation gets broken up a bit. Apologizing in advance for that, but I also dont want several different threads on basically the same topic).
Thanks for doing that and clarifying what happened. :)

Thanks for doing that and clarifying what happened. :)

No problem. I realize some will be unhappy with this (especially since the forum software does what I said above), but I would like to have those posts in one thread as I mentioned. There are (unfortunately) enough of the same issue to warrant a master thread on the topic, to keep the forum from being overrun with separate posts that say basically the same thing.

Additional moderator note: I am aware there are posts that are on this general topic that I have not moved into this thread (some speaking of delivery issues, cars not being shipped on time, etc). For the time being I didnt want those posts getting lost in the "panel gap" discussion that inevitably springs up around fourth quarter delivery time in full force, mostly because there are more cars being delivered.

The goal is for all of those type of discussions to be in this master thread, but those specific issues will get completely lost if I move them into this thread right now, so I am leaving them where they currently are, and discussion can continue on them in those threads. I am asking for people posting new delivery issues to post them here, however, and will likely move new ones not posted here into this thread.

I am not censuring, just consolidating, but as I said, I am aware that some may not be happy with my choice to consolidate.

Last edited:
OP of the quality issue video here:
Why
Why didn't you refuse delivery? I am taking delivery on the 31st, and will refuse if I can't close the doors properly.

Good question. In hindsight I definately should've.

The reason why I didn't do it that day were multi-fold:
- I didn't have a car for weeks (previously had a BMW lease which I had to returned) and really were in need of one
- a lot of cars at the factory (that I used for reference) had similar issues and this was my first Tesla, so I thought some things are just normal.
- I waited 9+ weeks for the tesla and was thinking that rejecting the car would've just delayed things further
- I had some plans the next day which required a car
- I was hungry (no kidding)
- it was getting dark

The most important reason why I didn't refuse delivery is that the instructions for the "touchless" experience indicated that I need to accept delivery before I can open the car (although I think in hindsight that's BS and I could've just asked some Tesla employees in the Delivery office to open it for me). I noticed the gap with the passenger-side trim from the outside, but I obviously only noticed the door-closing issue when I got access to the inside of the car which was after "accepting" delivery. If I would've known about the door-closing issue before I would've certainly not accepted delivery in this condition.
Actually when I noticed the door-closing issue I went back to the inside of the showroom and mentioned to the Tesla folks this huge issue and asked them to fix it. They offered to take it back to the factory and fix it on the spot, but indicated it would take 1-4h since their is 30+ cars waiting in line to get issues fixed similar to this. One of the Tesla employees inspected the door issue and said that this is a relatively easy fix as it only require some adjustment of the striker (the thing that latches the door) and that mobile service can certainly do that.
After a bit of back and forth I decided it's fine to get it fixed by mobile service and I had accepted delivery already anyways before noticing the issue.
I will also say that I can see that the striker is simply placed a bit too high and I think this is the main reason the door doesn't latch easily and it also contributes to the visual gap as it pushes the door a bit upwards.

Altogether I'm relatively optimistic that they can fix the door issue just fine.

What I'm more worried in hindsight is the gap where there the trunk meets the c-pillar as that gap is also pretty huge and I don't see an obvious way to fix / adjust that. Unfortunately in the light at the factory that gap didn't look that huge but it does now that I'm at home.
@jaqueh are the trunk alignment issues the things you mentioned that cannot be fixed?

Considering that so many cars at the factory had issues like that I conclude that Tesla's quality really seems to still suffer a lot during end of year delivery pushes - all the cars at the factory had very high vin numbers and must've been just built in the last week of December.

Last edited:
OP of the quality issue video here:
Why

Good question. In hindsight I definately should've.

The reason why I didn't do it that day were multi-fold:
- I didn't have a car for weeks (previously had a BMW lease which I had to returned) and really were in need of one
- a lot of cars at the factory (that I used for reference) had similar issues and this was my first Tesla, so I thought some things are just normal.
- I waited 9+ weeks for the tesla and was thinking that rejecting the car would've just delayed things further
- I had some plans the next day which required a car
- I was hungry (no kidding)
- it was getting dark

The most important reason why I didn't refuse delivery is that the instructions for the "touchless" experience indicated that I need to accept delivery before I can open the car (although I think in hindsight that's BS and I could've just asked some Tesla employees in the Delivery office to open it for me). I noticed the gap with the passenger-side trim from the outside, but I obviously only noticed the door-closing issue when I got access to the inside of the car which was after "accepting" delivery. If I would've known about the door-closing issue before I would've certainly not accepted delivery in this condition.
Actually when I noticed the door-closing issue I went back to the inside of the showroom and mentioned to the Tesla folks this huge issue and asked them to fix it. They offered to take it back to the factory and fix it on the spot, but indicated it would take 1-4h since their is 30+ cars waiting in line to get issues fixed similar to this. One of the Tesla employees inspected the door issue and said that this is a relatively easy fix as it only require some adjustment of the striker (the thing that latches the door) and that mobile service can certainly do that.
After a bit of back and forth I decided it's fine to get it fixed by mobile service and I had accepted delivery already anyways before noticing the issue.
I will also say that I can see that the striker is simply placed a bit too high and I think this is the main reason the door doesn't latch easily and it also contributes to the visual gap as it pushes the door a bit upwards.

Altogether I'm relatively optimistic that they can fix the door issue just fine.

What I'm more worried in hindsight is the gap where there the trunk meets the c-pillar as that gap is also pretty huge and I don't see an obvious way to fix / adjust that. Unfortunately in the light at the factory that gap didn't look that huge but it does now that I'm at home.
@jaqueh are the trunk alignment issues the things you mentioned that cannot be fixed?

Considering that so many cars at the factory had issues like that I conclude that Tesla's quality really seems to still suffer a lot during end of year delivery pushes - all the cars at the factory had very high vin numbers and must've been just built in the last week of December.
Yeah that makes sense, for me free supercharging for a year is a huge incentive for me to take delivery of the car on the 31st, so I will also have to weigh minor issues. Ok in my mind, all of the issues including the squeezed bench implies that the frame of the car was not made to fit the pieces that are attached to it afterwards (bench, lights, trunk, and doors), but if it's just the striker that is off then that is a good sign. I do wonder though if the striker is in the right position, but the frame that surrounds the door is warped which is why it has to be adjusted.

Hi folks,

took delivery of my Model 3 a few days ago and found a number of quality issues with it, some after delivery.
Just wanted to share in detail what I found so far.

Lemme know what you found :)

Update: had mobile service come out to me today. The main intention of the service was to document (pics etc) all the issues ahead of my upcoming SC appointment, so that they can schedule appropriate time and order parts if necessary. The mobile service fixed the door closing issue on the spot by adjusting the striker. The trim gap is now a lot less and the door closes pretty normal, but the trim gap is still not perfect. Gonna make a video soon to show the current status quo.

Hi all-
New to Tesla. I took delivery of a refresh Model 3P at the Dublin, Ca SC.

I also have the passenger side panel issue.
Paint issue on the trunk lid.
Minor interior issue and charge port door alignment, it doesn’t appear to be flush, though not sure if it should.

Will be setting up a service appointment.

Attachments

• 2E1420F2-F700-4D35-A38A-8A477B5BFCC0.jpeg
    2E1420F2-F700-4D35-A38A-8A477B5BFCC0.jpeg
    300.3 KB · Views: 271
  • EE4B83F5-78DB-495D-9AFA-46B6899EA820.jpeg
    EE4B83F5-78DB-495D-9AFA-46B6899EA820.jpeg
    210.2 KB · Views: 240
  • 40F1581D-19DA-4901-A699-99B4E7177C5C.jpeg
    40F1581D-19DA-4901-A699-99B4E7177C5C.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 231
  • BEE194B2-96BD-439F-9103-1A342B39E8B1.jpeg
    BEE194B2-96BD-439F-9103-1A342B39E8B1.jpeg
    274 KB · Views: 243
Update: had mobile service come out to me today. The main intention of the service was to document (pics etc) all the issues ahead of my upcoming SC appointment, so that they can schedule appropriate time and order parts if necessary. The mobile service fixed the door closing issue on the spot by adjusting the striker. The trim gap is now a lot less and the door closes pretty normal, but the trim gap is still not perfect. Gonna make a video soon to show the current status quo.
Excited to see the new video! I just am very curious how these issues arose during manufacturing so any clues around that are illuminating to me.

Did you make an appointment for mobile service, or did they contact you to set that up after you made your service center appointment? I have some similar issues with my 2021 Model 3 LR, and I made an appointment for the Palo Alto SC in a week, but I'd be happy to have mobile service come by to document / prepare things before then.

Did you make an appointment for mobile service, or did they contact you to set that up after you made your service center appointment? I have some similar issues with my 2021 Model 3 LR, and I made an appointment for the Palo Alto SC in a week, but I'd be happy to have mobile service come by to document / prepare things before then.
I initially made an appointment for just the door issue which was for mobile service on Dec 30. Then I added a bunch of more issues and it force-switched me from a mobile to a SC appointment on Jan 6. I then regularly checked (via the app) if there is an earlier time and eventually was able to switch the SC appointment to Dec 30. On Dec 29 Tesla called me that the Palo Alto SC thinks it's better they sent out first a mobile service to inspect the issues upfront and do the full-blown appointment on Jan, so that's what I got now.

quick update from my side: I actually went back to the fremont factory showroom to look again on whether I just got "unlucky" or if this is a persistent issue. And honestly none of the cars was perfect. I went from car to car (10-15 cars) and just found again and again the same issues that appear on my car. Almost all of the cars had a 37xxxx bin (mine is 376xxx). I'm gonna talk about this a bit more in my video, but have a look at some of the pics I took (forgive me I must've taken most of them accidentally in portrait mode so they have sometimes blur on the edges).

I have to admit that 2/3 of the cars didn't have a temp license, so it's possible these were actually rejected cars and they just left them there, but I didn't find any correlation of the quality between cars that had a temp license plate / were scheduled for delivery that same day and the cars that didn't. I also observed 2 customers driving off the lot with cars that had similar issues.

Frankly speaking I'm impressed with the "consistently" bad quality tesla made these cars, since the issues are not random but appear extremely similar (maybe they're "within spec" lol).

Some of the very common issues I found:
- headlight sticking out too much (90% of the cars)
- large gap between trunk hood and c-pillar (>50% of the cars)
- very uneven gaps between headlights to hood
- trim alignment between front and backdoor or general door alignment (~30% of the cars), there was only one or two which had it as bad as mine, but still very few perfect ones
- headliner not closing flush (>50% of the cars)

I also found two cars which had one or multiple green stickers by the headliners, one car which had a bunch of hard to remove glue residue on the black outside trim.
Also found 2-3 cars which had various alignment issues around the frunk.

I'm not sure if this issue is local to fremont, I was considering to checkout the cars at Serramonte SC, but it's a bit too far to be worth the drive.

Frankly I'd be interested in someone who has supposedly a "perfect" Model 2021 to make a video and show these problem areas in detail.
I lost faith there is a thing like a perfect Tesla, or the definition of "perfect" must be very different than it is with other brands like BMW and co.

Attachments

• PXL_20201230_220931204.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20201230_220931204.PORTRAIT.jpg
    450.5 KB · Views: 221
  • PXL_20201230_215809806.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20201230_215809806.PORTRAIT.jpg
    463.9 KB · Views: 216
  • PXL_20201230_215334490.jpg
    PXL_20201230_215334490.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 222
  • PXL_20201230_215712640.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20201230_215712640.PORTRAIT.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 213
  • PXL_20201230_215928565.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20201230_215928565.PORTRAIT.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 204
  • PXL_20201230_220950946.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20201230_220950946.PORTRAIT.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 204
  • PXL_20201230_221433618.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20201230_221433618.PORTRAIT.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 187
  • PXL_20201230_221719318.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20201230_221719318.PORTRAIT.jpg
    478.4 KB · Views: 200
  • PXL_20201230_221621299.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20201230_221621299.PORTRAIT.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 209
  • PXL_20201230_221820495.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20201230_221820495.PORTRAIT.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
Wow, thanks for the detailed follow-up. Would love to hear more after your SC visit on 1/6. I guess the consistent quality issues with these end-of-year builds explains why all these perks (1 year supercharging, 3 months FSD) are being added for those taking deliveries now.