Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery / Service Issues (panel gaps, delivery delays / issues / Service problems etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery of my car a few hours ago. I'm wondering now if I am being too picky or if this is worth lodging a service request for.

The bumper does not sit flush with the front quarter panel on both sides. Has anyone had this? The two Model 3's on either side of mine did not have this issue. Will this be a replacement bumper or is it something they'll be able to fix rather quickly.

IMG_1884.jpeg

IMG_1885.jpeg

IMG_1890.jpg

Cheers

Just took delivery of my car a few hours ago. I'm wondering now if I am being too picky or if this is worth lodging a service request for.

The bumper does not sit flush with the front quarter panel on both sides. Has anyone had this? The two Model 3's on either side of mine did not have this issue. Will this be a replacement bumper or is it something they'll be able to fix rather quickly.

View attachment 703941
View attachment 703942
View attachment 703943

Cheers
I have a similar looking bumper cover protrusion on a VW Golf. It happened because the car was hit and the fender repair didn't quite match up right with the bumper. I'm not insinuating that your car was hit, just that in my case a similar little protrusion still really bugs me even after it being there for years. If I had something like this on a new Tesla I'd report it so it hopefully can be brought in to be flush. Congrats on the new car!

Reactions: Extant
Picked up my car yesterday and overall very happy.
Here are the issues I found:

#1. Excess foam coming out of rear passenger cushion which the delivery team just went back and cut off but it is still visible
#2. Trim piece beside cushion not straight
#3. Paint chip or dust nub that broke off on rear quarter panel, they just touched it up but can submit a service request to have the whole panel repainted... so going to live with the touch up paint
#4. Stains on rear seat belt buckles - delivery team tried to clean it off but it's still visible
#5. Trunk carpeting is not sticking to the trunk floor
#6. Minor imperfections on the clear coat through out the car
#7. Center console scratch
#8. Driver door needs to be adjusted higher
#9. There is a while mark/line inside the rear brake light window of the rear windshield cutout
#10. Alignment of the trim piece under the A-pillar

Some are very minor so will probably only submit a request for the rear seat, trim and center console and front door alignment.

The blue 3 performance parked beside for delivery had some very bad panel gaps... bumper was sticking up like the red car posted above but even worse.

Attachments

• Paint Chip Before.jpeg
    Paint Chip Before.jpeg
    322.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Paint Chip After.jpeg
    Paint Chip After.jpeg
    287.1 KB · Views: 118
  • Cushion and trim.jpeg
    Cushion and trim.jpeg
    314.4 KB · Views: 117
  • Cushion other side.jpeg
    Cushion other side.jpeg
    356.3 KB · Views: 111
  • Console Scratch.jpeg
    Console Scratch.jpeg
    214.2 KB · Views: 122
  • Trunk Lining.jpeg
    Trunk Lining.jpeg
    271.8 KB · Views: 127
  • Seatbelt 1.jpeg
    Seatbelt 1.jpeg
    321 KB · Views: 115
  • Seatbelt 2.jpeg
    Seatbelt 2.jpeg
    267.6 KB · Views: 118
  • Trunk lining 2.jpeg
    Trunk lining 2.jpeg
    354.3 KB · Views: 112
  • Back of seat.jpeg
    Back of seat.jpeg
    417.4 KB · Views: 118

View attachment 703941
View attachment 703942
View attachment 703943

Cheers

IMO, they need to fix that. That is way off flushness and will only get worse over time.

So I had a order for a model 3 and was able to find a new one in existing inventory and ordered it. I had my deliver day set for 9/1 at 1000. I completed everything required and was ready to go, even got the phone call the day before confirming my appointment. 9/31 at 4pm, I get a call saying there is a containment hold possibly to do with a firmware update due to the new battery and a new delivery eta is unknown. Possibly within a week. Anyone else have this issue? I’m located in Tampa Fl.

I’ve owned a M3P for almost 2 years with few issues. A couple of service calls, both of which were efficiently handled. I recommended the M3 to a friend who was replacing his Audi, he opted to buy a used M3P from Tesla with 8000 on the clock. Upon collecting it he noticed a few paint chips and was told to pop it in to his local SC for them to sort out. This he did, and the SC took the car round to their local approved body shop for appraisal. Their report came back stating there was major paint damage to all 14 panels (as if sprayed with stones) and woud cost 5k for a full respray. Tesla are saying it’s within their used car spec and are refusing to engage with my friend. He has tried rejecting the vehicle (which he has had for 3 weeks now) but Tesla are refusing to acknowledge this and are ignoring his emails. Is there a mechanism for escalating issues before taking legal action? The car is still at the body shop and he’s refusing to collect it, but he’s over 50k out of pocket. I’m a bit embarrassed to have recommended Tesla now. I suggested him requesting a new LR from them as a replacement but he says they aren’t open to any negotiation. He feels scammed. He’s going back to Audi now since his relationship with Tesla is completely broken. Any advice from anyone here with success of escalating complaints?
odd situation... seems like you would have noticed major paint damage while collecting the car initially? if he's noticed a few spots I would see if the sc would just touch up those few spots? not sure why he would have accepted the vehicle with major paint damage all over

View attachment 703941
View attachment 703942
View attachment 703943

Cheers

Also happened to find a paint chip the same evening. Booked in for service centre appointment but with the state of the Pandemic here in Melbourne, Australia I won’t be able to get in until it lifts - end of September.

the saga continues…

CCC16316-0504-4456-A59E-8C6FE0262597.jpeg

renderTimingPixel.png

I got my brand new Tesla Model 3 LR in July. When picking it up I noticed there was a chip in the paint in the rear bumper right where it connects to the fender. I was told to put in a service request and they would put a new bumper on it. I put the service request in and took the car about 2 weeks later to have it repaired. The service center is about an hour from me so I dropped it off an picked up my loaner. A few days later picked the car up at night so I couldn't get a good look at the new bumper. The next morning I noticed that they used touch up paint to "TRY" and fix the issue. The job was so crappy you could still see half of the chip and they got paint on my fender and a paint thumb print on the black weather strip near the door. I then wrote an email and scheduled another request for them to fix my brand new car a second time. The second time they take the car back they finally put the new bumper, only this time upon return I notice that the trunk was so crooked that I have no idea how no one noticed it before they gave it back. I will agree that the second time I should have known to check the car to see if everything was perfect but I mainly looked at the bumper. I sent another pretty irritated email and requested compensation for what was now my third time at the service center. I was told once I bring it in someone will reach out to talk about what compensation is necessary. It'd been about a month now and no one will respond and no one has reached out. I've wasted about 8 hours just driving to and from the dealership not including the wasted time emailing and setting up appointments trying to have my "brand new" car fixed. Am I overreacting? Has anyone here gotten any type of compensation from issues like this?

renderTimingPixel.png

I got my brand new Tesla Model 3 LR in July. When picking it up I noticed there was a chip in the paint in the rear bumper right where it connects to the fender. I was told to put in a service request and they would put a new bumper on it. I put the service request in and took the car about 2 weeks later to have it repaired. The service center is about an hour from me so I dropped it off an picked up my loaner. A few days later picked the car up at night so I couldn't get a good look at the new bumper. The next morning I noticed that they used touch up paint to "TRY" and fix the issue. The job was so crappy you could still see half of the chip and they got paint on my fender and a paint thumb print on the black weather strip near the door. I then wrote an email and scheduled another request for them to fix my brand new car a second time. The second time they take the car back they finally put the new bumper, only this time upon return I notice that the trunk was so crooked that I have no idea how no one noticed it before they gave it back. I will agree that the second time I should have known to check the car to see if everything was perfect but I mainly looked at the bumper. I sent another pretty irritated email and requested compensation for what was now my third time at the service center. I was told once I bring it in someone will reach out to talk about what compensation is necessary. It'd been about a month now and no one will respond and no one has reached out. I've wasted about 8 hours just driving to and from the dealership not including the wasted time emailing and setting up appointments trying to have my "brand new" car fixed. Am I overreacting? Has anyone here gotten any type of compensation from issues like this?

I moved this to the delivery issues thread, because you are trying to get issues with your vehicle on delivery fixed and asking about compensation for that.

Reactions: Mitchscoggins
So not deal breakers by any means, but I've now developed rattles in 3 different places (front dash area behind center display and directly above the driver and front passenger windows. Not bad enough to schedule a service appointment strictly to fix the rattles, but annoying nonetheless.

Cheers
My front bumper cover had some paint issues so they swapped it; the new bumper cover has a similar issue to yours, though not quite as pronounced. If you look from the front you’ll notice the curve doesn’t match, but the corners don’t stick out as far as yours, maybe only 50% as far. I have a follow up appointment to fix one of the delivery issues that didn’t seem to be fixed the first time, may add this issue as well and see what they say.

Picking up my car later today. What are all the things to look for before accepting delivery ? I'm going to do a thorough inspection but small things that other people notice later or usual defects would be nice to know. (I have read paint chip and panel gaps are usually the most common issues) Also we have 3 days to report anything right ?

Well just noticed my glove box is not sitting flush with the dash at the bottom so will need to add it to my list of things.

Anyone know if this part should be attached to the bolt? This is underneath the car right behind the front wheels.

Attachments

• F629B9F6-A072-4BCE-A47E-6365BAEF89DC.JPG
    F629B9F6-A072-4BCE-A47E-6365BAEF89DC.JPG
    454 KB · Views: 97

View attachment 703941
View attachment 703942
View attachment 703943

Cheers
My bumper was bent in a bit. I used my hands to bend it out and fixed it. Maybe you can try pushing it in on both sides to get it flush?

BAECBC82-3D33-4955-829F-52F7AC34D96F.jpeg
I just picked up my model 3 SR+ yesterday and I noticed today that the plastic next to the passenger side mirror has green specks on it. I think it might be an adhesive from shipping it. It doesn’t come off from rubbing it. Does anyone have any idea of what it is or how to remove it? Thanks