Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery / Service Issues (panel gaps, delivery delays / issues / Service problems etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we took delivery of our car on Sunday and when we got home, I noticed three areas on the driver's side rear passenger door that had some missing metallic flake in the paint and the areas look darker than than the rest of the door. We were gonna leave it alone until I just found another body panel with the same issue. This time on the passenger's side body panel over the front right tire.

It is hard to make the sections out because the sky is reflecting in it but, in the first door panel photos, it's three round areas of missing flake that look darker with areas in between of proper paint coverage. The 2nd one I just found was taken in the garage so that has reflections as well but its a single round section that looks like a halo. I don't know anything about how robots and humans apply paint to cars but I don't get why both problem areas on opposite sides of the cars are the same round shape and size.

I made an appointment to take the car into the service center and have them look at the ones I found as well as look over the rest of the car for more. I had bad experience with a brand new Dodge Challenger that got a new factory bumper due to a driveway accident and even though the body shop was Dodge, they said there is no way to perfectly match the factory paint every though it's the same paint brand and color spec. They weren't kidding, the bumper was slightly darker.

I might live with these two and not ask to get them fixed but, if I find any more of these factory paint flaws, I'm gonna demand that the entire car be repainted so I don't have to deal with the car fading at different rates and shades especially after the warranty runs out. Right now, the car only has 170 miles on it.

Attachments

• messages_0(1).jpeg
    messages_0(1).jpeg
    521.5 KB · Views: 297
  • 3 sec sm.png
    3 sec sm.png
    5 MB · Views: 236
  • Paint 2.jpeg
    Paint 2.jpeg
    502.7 KB · Views: 230
  • Paint 1.jpeg
    Paint 1.jpeg
    504 KB · Views: 252
This guy has it way worse than what I posted above but it looks like the round patterns are from the factory paint crew using sanders to grind down imperfections and then just couldn't blend those areas in for the final pass. I know they're making these cars at a blinding pace but this is pissing me off.

HORRIBLE ORDERING EXPERIENCE. First of all I waited nearly 5 months for my EDD, when the typical wait time for folks around my order date is closer to 90 days. Got the VIN on April 29th and completed payment immediately so I wouldn't delay delivery. Car arrived at service center on May 6th, without a charging port!! Delivery has been pushed back 3 times now and is currently slated for sometime around June 6th even though i've fully paid for my car. Meanwhile they're delivering cars from the factory complete while mine just sits on a lot and Elon wipes his ass with my $50k that I paid for my car. This is nothing short of FRAUD that this point, Tesla has taken my money and continued to pump out other cars all while withholding the part for my car (and several hundred others) so they don't have to stop the production line.

My SA was responsive to my questions, but answered very generally. When I received my VIN and learned of the delay, he did say they would do their best to get my car to me within two weeks. He was right, it took about two weeks to get the charge port installed.
I'm in the same boat, car arrived at service center on May 6th, it's now May 19th and the delivery has been pushed back a third time, now to June 6th. They took my money on April 29th and I have nothing to show for it. They aren't offering me *sugar* for the delay either, SA said he'd throw in a set of floor mats for my trouble, haha!

Hey guys, I'm new to this thread. I'm scheduled to pick up my M3LR this Thursday at 11 and am curious how long it might take considering I'm planning on doing a thorough inspection of the car. Any inputs would be appreciated.
Were you delayed at all with the charging port issue? Seems like you got your VIN a little after me and your delivery is just a few weeks. Don't be surprised if they call you a few days before and tell you it's gonna be delayed, hope you haven't paid for the car yet!

Were you delayed at all with the charging port issue? Seems like you got your VIN a little after me and your delivery is just a few weeks. Don't be surprised if they call you a few days before and tell you it's gonna be delayed, hope you haven't paid for the car yet!
It doesn't appear that I was affected by the charge port shortage. It was already delayed, but only by 2 days. I'm still scheduled to pick up tomorrow. Unless I get notified of further delays, I plan on making final payment tomorrow morning before pickup.

I just received my tesla model 3 LR yesterday, Houston TX
here is the detail

M3LR Black & Black, aero wheel, NO FSD
Order date: March 27, 2022
ETA: Late July to August 2022
ETA changed about 4 times during few weeks
ETA changed to May to June

Picked up date May 21.

So...as I read many posts, I had to make sure I got everything
Vin starting 249xxx manufactured May 6, 2022
Matrix headlight, Mobile Charger, Michelin Tire, AMD Ryzen all good!

when I asked SA about mobile charger, they replied me this
"Thank you for inquiring. If your delivery occurs by mid-August, you should expect to receive a mobile charger Bundle in your vehicle. If your delivery occurs after that time period, you will receive a Tesla Online Shop promo code before delivery, which may be used to fully cover the purchase of a Mobile Connector or it may be put towards other charging accessories."

I was going to pay at the time of inspection but found out I needed to pay prior to delivery date (in Texas), so don't be stupid like me and take care of it first. (If paying in cash)

Also I forgot to check the car thoroughly, did walkaround but couldn't find any major problems..(was too excited)

Came home, walked around thoroughly and found 4 minor panel gaps.
While I was driving I noticed that the car only had 1 DRL on (reflection from front car) found out driver side DRL is dead. Service appointment has been set

other than that, I kinda regret that I should've ordered it sooner...

my few tips for Texans
- take care of the payment prior to delivery date
- If your insurance is about to expire, app will tell u to update, but don't worry nothing will happen
- Even app says locate your model, don't. Just go into service center they will take care of it for u
(me and my buddy walked around the lot like 3-4times, thought we came to wrong location)
- I know ur excited, but check your car thoroughly

and if you are looking for tint shop in Houston, TX area, try MBC tint pros. I called many tint shop around me and
MBC quoted Llumar IRX for about $450ish for all sides and single piece rear to roof or Llumar CPX for $350

I picked up my Model 3 LR last Thursday from Charlotte, NC.

I noticed a few minor issues with the car right after delivery so setup a service appointment:
1. Alignment - couple degrees to the right
2. Rear tail lights - 1-2” deep scratch across the top of the rear right light
3. Minor paint issues - looks to be debris under paint on the front fender (in 1-2 places. Added a pic for an example.

I added a couple of pictures. Not to worried about the paint because it is minor, but I am afraid to look more closely lol. I’ve tried not to look the car over to closely…

Otherwise very happy with the car and glad it has the matrix lights!

Attachments

• 7F6740AF-0D9E-44CA-B934-D89C3718B20D.jpeg
    7F6740AF-0D9E-44CA-B934-D89C3718B20D.jpeg
    308.6 KB · Views: 219
  • D22883FE-FE40-4D71-8A0A-01D3AC42A6E0.jpeg
    D22883FE-FE40-4D71-8A0A-01D3AC42A6E0.jpeg
    333.5 KB · Views: 212
So I picked up my M3LR 6 days ago and later that day, noticed some distortion over the windshield passenger side. Went into the service center the next day and booked an appt for yesterday. Tech noticed it right away but told me it was “normal”. Said it’s an issue with Tesla glass for the last few months and that replacing it won’t help because the next one could be just as bad. My question is, is anyone else noticing this epidemic of wavy windshields and if so, any success on a replacement?

VIN is 257xxx if that helps

More than 30 issues
Issues Summary:
1. scratches in door edge; misalignment everywhere, big gaps (5~6mm) around rear truck and rear lamp, paint flaws; driver side door hard to close; white powder in glasses; blue liquids leak from driver door
2. interior scratches and marker, dirty with construction materials and wires, misalignment headline, flaws in rear seat
3. weird sounds when turning steering wheels at low speed, especially at parking lot, and a little bit steering wheel misalignment(lean to passenger direction when going straight)
IMG_2321.jpeg
IMG_2291.jpeg
IMG_2301.jpeg
IMG_2306.jpeg
IMG_2308.jpeg
IMG_2293.jpeg
IMG_2294.jpeg

IMG_2272.jpeg

Something not sure if it is ok.
1. water leaking under car after parking somewhere for more than a few minutes (not sure if that is expected)
2. media bluetooth suddenly could not connect/forget, also can not be discovered in my two iPhone, until I restarted tesla system twice. (it works now, but feel surprise that happen after a few hours after car picking, seldom happens in my bmw car)
3. sometime still have noise at the front motor when parking; and have electronic shake when no speed at 'D'(holding mode); not sure if that is expected.
4. one of my iPhone can not get wireless charged with the case, while I was able to get charged easily in other test drive tesla cars.

I was told to click 'accept' before inspection, many horrible issues found for the car. SA refused to my request to reject and switch car, because I already clicked 'accept'; they told me to call service center instead.
Service appointment made but need another 20 days wait.
What should I do in this case ? Stick to switch another car by any method ? wait 20 days until my service appointment ?

Last edited:
TLDR:
I was told to click 'accept' before inspection, many horrible issues found for the car. SA refused to my request to reject and switch car, because I already clicked 'accept'; they told me to call service center instead.
What should I do in this case ? Stick to switch another car by any method ? wait 20 days until my service appointment ?

Issues Summary:
1. scratches in door edge; misalignment everywhere, big gaps around rear truck and rear lamp, paint flaws; driver side door hard to close; white powder in glasses; blue liquids leak from driver door
2. interior scratches and marker, dirty with construction materials and wires, misalignment headline, flaws in rear seat
3. weird sounds when turning steering wheels at low speed, especially at parking lot, and a little bit steering wheel misalignment(lean to passenger direction when going straight)

1. water leaking under car after parking somewhere for more than a few minutes (not sure if that is expected)
2. media bluetooth suddenly could not connect/forget, also can not be discovered in my two iPhone, until I restarted tesla system twice. (it works now, but feel surprise that happen after a few hours after car picking, seldom happens in my bmw car)
3. sometime still have noise at the front motor when parking; and have electronic shake when no speed at 'D'(holding mode); not sure if that is expected.
4. one of my iPhone can not get wireless charged with the case, while I was able to get charged easily in other test drive tesla cars.

Full Context:
I had appointment to pickup my car last Wednesday(May 25) at Tesla sale center. When I arrived there, SA told me to click accept in APP otherwise I do not have key to enter and then showed me the location of my car. I went to inspect my car, and found a lot of issues.
The SA told me that take car home and do inspection within 24 hours. Then I realized that I should not listen to him and click the "accept" in the app before do inspection(I thought some doc to sign which means car acceptance.)
I did inspection within next one day

I really like the car but I really get disappointed at so many weird issues and the bad quality. I called Tesla sales center, they told me that I can not reject the car, because I click 'accept'(even though I told him I was not provided option to do inspection before clicking 'accept' ). The only way I can do is to fill service requests within 24 hours(I did, need wait another 20 days for the service appointment), and they will fix it or decide if it is necessary to switch to another car(I do not think they will do it until very serious problems which can not be fixed well).

I went to tesla service center without appointment, and clarified my situation. One of their guy helped to roughly go though my cars and told me that those gaps are in factory spec, even those there is a big uneven gap(5~6mm) around left side of rear truck, while the right side looks good. They do not think too much they can do for the gaps. For scratches and paint flaw, they will try to fix it. Others need more inspection during service appointment.

I suspected my car might be a rejected car by someone else. I ordered M3P and then changed to M3LR one day before picking up. Then just another 3 days later, I got a new VIN(255xxx) at May 19. But I found a lot of 259XXX, 26XXXX already assigned after May 15. They wanted the guy to take the car ASAP, so asking me to click 'accept' before pointing me my car.

Lessons learned:
Never click 'accept' in the mobile until inspection done, do not listen to SA that you can do inspection later.
Nothing you can do. You’re basically stuck with it after accepting delivery.

One note I would suggest, opt out of the binding arbitration clause IMMEDIATELY.

In the event they are unable to address any mechanical (not cosmetic) issues, you’ll have an easier time getting them to agree to a buy back.

Buy several crates of yellow citrus fruit from your local farmers market or roadside stand. Park the car directly in front of the Tesla sign at the location that sold you the car. Make a sign advertising said fruit for sale in a huge font and place that sign in front of the Tesla signage.

Or reach out to your local news. Usually at least one of the big four networks serving an area will have a customer advocate type of contact.

Tesla should be ashamed to sell a car that looks like that. The paint damage on the driver door can be spotted easily from ten feet away. It is obvious that Tesla is not inspecting anything.

Last edited:
More than 30 issues
Issues Summary:
1. scratches in door edge; misalignment everywhere, big gaps (5~6mm) around rear truck and rear lamp, paint flaws; driver side door hard to close; white powder in glasses; blue liquids leak from driver door
View attachment 809906View attachment 809908View attachment 809909View attachment 809910View attachment 809911View attachment 809912View attachment 809913
View attachment 809904

That's about what my 2021 M3P looked like, even a few more issues than yours. The mistake you and I made was accepting the car at delivery. I'm awaiting my red 2022 M3P and the anxiety for this coming weeks delivery has me on edge.....But one thing for sure, if it displays any difficult issues to repair that involve repaint or major work.... I'm walking away.

Reactions: Drew0020
Hi all. This is my first post. Thank you for allowing me membership. Wifey and I just bought this M3 LR week and half ago. We didn’t notice these gap issues until after we brought it home.

Are these worth complaining about?

Photos are left and right for comparison purposes.

Thanks for any input.
89899618-6AAA-44DC-B2F9-34AF6C1E8514.jpeg
5ECA3671-E3B1-4353-8AA1-2B82D56836BE.jpeg
528A28D7-B052-402B-9235-5D2D9A12A764.jpeg
4DDFDF2A-1CF5-43B9-B0A6-5A424990DBA8.jpeg

Hi all. This is my first post. Thank you for allowing me membership. Wifey and I just bought this M3 LR week and half ago. We didn’t notice these gap issues until after we brought it home.

Are these worth complaining about?

Photos are left and right for comparison purposes.

Thanks for any input. View attachment 811142View attachment 811143View attachment 811144View attachment 811145

Not unless you are ok if it ends up looking worse than that. Nothing in your pictures looks out of bounds to me, but its not my car, its yours. Just be prepared for the possibility for it to look worse if they start "tweaking" it.

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
Nothing you can do. You’re basically stuck with it after accepting delivery.

One note I would suggest, opt out of the binding arbitration clause IMMEDIATELY.

In the event they are unable to address any mechanical (not cosmetic) issues, you’ll have an easier time getting them to agree to a buy back.
A couple of questions:

1. How do you opt out of the arbitration clause?

2. How do you retain the ability to reject a car following inspection, if you are forced to accept the car before getting inside it?