Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery / Service Issues (panel gaps, delivery delays / issues / Service problems etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery on my M3P today. At delivery we noticed a tiny imperfection in the paint on the rear bumper. They were very nice and immediately helped me schedule a service appointment. I’m just curious if anyone else has had a similar issue and how it was resolved? Can this be “repaired” or will it require replacing the entire bumper? Thanks in advance. 51126FE8-35F9-4B3C-A245-F35690F43B89.jpegFD223009-5A47-453E-81CF-4DAD4C62F204.jpeg4FBB264B-EDFF-461E-9156-9711588F1E90.jpeg

Yeah, I had several imperfections. I had a small ding on the passenger side door, passenger side fender had some sort of "reverse ding" and there was some scratches by the passenger handle that someone used touch up paint to attempt to fix. Disappointed in tesla and I hope we don't have to repaint the whole panel.

I just took delivery on my M3P today. At delivery we noticed a tiny imperfection in the paint on the rear bumper. They were very nice and immediately helped me schedule a service appointment. I’m just curious if anyone else has had a similar issue and how it was resolved? Can this be “repaired” or will it require replacing the entire bumper? Thanks in advance.View attachment 819880View attachment 819881View attachment 819882
Whoa 😳!

Whoa
I just took delivery on my M3P today. At delivery we noticed a tiny imperfection in the paint on the rear bumper. They were very nice and immediately helped me schedule a service appointment. I’m just curious if anyone else has had a similar issue and how it was resolved? Can this be “repaired” or will it require replacing the entire bumper? Thanks in advance.View attachment 819880View attachment 819881View attachment 819882
That bumper cover will be replaced, its almost impossible to repair the plastic parts on cars and respray them to look like factory. I WISHED that was all that was wrong with the latest M3P I just rejected, it was a total disaster (see pics above☝️)..

Hello!
I just took delivery of my 22' M3 LR. The only bad panel gap I have noticed is at the frunk. To request this to be fixed, would I schedule service in the Tesla app?
You ultimately should have noted it to them during delivery, but depending on what the gap is and where on the frunk, it should most likely be an easy adjustment. What is not an easy frunk adjust is when the frunk stamping curvature is not the same as the two front fenders. Both of the 2022 M3P;s I recently rejected suffered this. The only fix then, is a new frunk and repaint.

Can anyone please check this on their car for me?

At the bottom corners of the windshield, there's a seal. Are they supposed to be under the body panels or over them? On one side, I see it half under and half over. The other side is completely over.

Thanks

Attachments

• image_67159041.JPG
    image_67159041.JPG
    324.6 KB · Views: 235
  • image_67127553.JPG
    image_67127553.JPG
    216 KB · Views: 226
We took delivery of a 2022 LR a week ago. First real drive other than around the block this weekend. We found that the rear trunk had opened (must have been a "butt opening" from the app) and now will not close automatically. We need to drive home and spent 30 minutes connecting with roadside assistance as tech support was closed.

After several attempts to reboot the car the tech suggested it was likely a software calibration issue that we could fix with tech support, since we were not able to see any obstructions that would prevent the trunk from closing. He also said that it was ok to manually close the trunk.

Once we did this the issue became apparent. There is a misalignment on the left side of the trunk lid that leaves a 2 inch gap (wasn't present at delivery, it has occurred since then). Not clear what has shifted and, happily for now, there appears to be no damage to the paint or sheet metal from this. Hopefully our upcoming first service appointment for all of the other delivery issues with the car will be able to resolve this issue easily, but I' alarmed at seeing the company deny warranty coverage for what seems to be a problem that happens a lot. Will post some photos and updates as available.

PS sorry for the typo in the header!

So I took delivery of my M3 last week and failed to notice a couple of tiny marks on the front bumper (seen in the picture below). I went to the service centre today and they said they would evaluate whether or not they would simply touch it up or replace the bumper. They opted with touching it up and the tech did, what I must say a terrible job. I mean I wish they would have just let me do it as I would have taken longer to do it but done it better.

In the end I complained and they agreed to replace the bumper since the car is only 7 days old. Now the thing is that they said they will get a brand new pre sprayed bumper and that the colour 'may' not 100% match. They said that 1 out of every 100 don't match 100% and that is a risk I need to take.... Personally, I think thats crap.

Question, when they say it doesn't match, what are we talking? When the car is built, the car is sprayed separately and then a pre-painted bumper is added, is that not correct? So I am assuming this would be the same?

Second, there is a scratch on the inside of the windscreen near the speaker - its an actual scratch on the glass. The service centre said they will not replace it as it does not fall within the vision area of the driver. They also said if they change the windscreen then you might have more problems with air leaks etc.. than before. Has this happened to anyone else?

Thank you!

Pre Paint
Screenshot 2022-07-04 at 16.11.37.png

Touched up FRONT Bottom
Screenshot 2022-07-04 at 16.11.47.png

Touched up FRONT TOP
Screenshot 2022-07-04 at 16.11.54.png

Windscreen
IMG_2319.jpeg

Clearly getting a new bumper is the right move as those repairs don't look great. You paid for a new car and it should look new. I wouldn't obsess about the paint match unless it's egregious as the paint on plastic parts usually always appear slightly different at certain angles than the metal body parts and it's like this on even German vehicles. I assume the bumper comes from the same place painting all the bumpers so there's a good chance it will be a match. As for the windshield you are probably better off taking it as-is is rather than having them removed and re-install another one.

It is possible for the bumper to mismatch the body color, but light color will not be that obvious than darker colored cars, A good windshield replacement should not have leaks or other problems but for Tesla SC it may be true. Mine took 3 tries to get it right.

I wouldn't expect a paint match problem on the fascia, especially for a new car.
What you are hearing is a standard disclaimer.

Tesla will swap in the new fascia in less than an hour, which is the great advantage of them doing that.

BTW If you have the storage space, try to have them give you the damaged one, then store it until you damage the new one (and don't want to make an insurance claim) 👍😀

I wouldn't expect a paint match problem on the fascia, especially for a new car.
What you are hearing is a standard disclaimer.

Tesla will swap in the new fascia in less than an hour, which is the great advantage of them doing that.

BTW If you have the storage space, try to have them give you the damaged one, then store it until you damage the new one (and don't want to make an insurance claim) 👍😀
More like 15 minutes. I had mobile service install my Homelink and watched him remove the front. It's actually pretty simple to remove as there's only two pull points. Also with that off it's a perfect time to adjust the headlights if one isn't perfectly flush as I got the mobile tech to do so.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
We took delivery of a 2022 LR a week ago. First real drive other than around the block this weekend. We found that the rear trunk had opened (must have been a "butt opening" from the app) and now will not close automatically. We need to drive home and spent 30 minutes connecting with roadside assistance as tech support was closed.

After several attempts to reboot the car the tech suggested it was likely a software calibration issue that we could fix with tech support, since we were not able to see any obstructions that would prevent the trunk from closing. He also said that it was ok to manually close the trunk.

Once we did this the issue became apparent. There is a misalignment on the left side of the trunk lid that leaves a 2 inch gap (wasn't present at delivery, it has occurred since then). Not clear what has shifted and, happily for now, there appears to be no damage to the paint or sheet metal from this. Hopefully our upcoming first service appointment for all of the other delivery issues with the car will be able to resolve this issue easily, but I' alarmed at seeing the company deny warranty coverage for what seems to be a problem that happens a lot. Will post some photos and updates as available.

PS sorry for the typo in the header!
Photos

Attachments

• CA9F623A-19FD-47E0-BCC3-44CD7842CFAA.jpeg
    CA9F623A-19FD-47E0-BCC3-44CD7842CFAA.jpeg
    406.3 KB · Views: 235
  • 617480F6-1626-4227-8B9C-579EE6F93086.jpeg
    617480F6-1626-4227-8B9C-579EE6F93086.jpeg
    309.4 KB · Views: 203
  • A13C297C-9DCB-4E8A-9C44-F4D9640296CC.jpeg
    A13C297C-9DCB-4E8A-9C44-F4D9640296CC.jpeg
    523.7 KB · Views: 225