Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery / Service Issues (panel gaps, delivery delays / issues / Service problems etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately most of that is pretty normal.

1) Yes the gaps are normal.

2) Other owners have noted glass corners sticking out. FWIW mine are line up pretty good but it seems like a car to car thing. Was there evidence of all glass corners being taped down or just that corner?

3) Mine wiper doesn't contact like that but it's very close. Seems like something that maybe normal given Tesla variance.

4) I checked mine and yes you can see white on the front fender crevices with the front door open. Mine is red and seems to have a little more paint (yours looks worse and maybe it's a blue thing) but it appears Tesla isn't painting those areas.

5) Mine is exactly the same. Seems normal.

Last edited:
Reactions: likkuid
Picked up my LR Sat. Quite a few fitment issues. Some questions with photos.

1) Is there supposed to be large gaps on the top two trunk panel gaps, because it auto lifts?

2) Misaligned windshield. Best to leave this as fix may be too invasive?

3) Is Frunk supposed to hit wiper when open?

4) Nearly unpainted front door jambs normal? I believe so but double checking. Only visible when doors opened.

5) Panel gaps below on trunk widen out a bit at the base. Same on both sides. I didn’t submit this as it seems fine, are others like this?

6) Tesla wouldn’t even look at my list on pickup. They said it all has to be done and assessed through the app post delivery. I submitted a service ticket noting all issues were delivery day issues. Anything to keep in mind here? It says it’s in queue to get a cost estimate (?).

Everything else was clear sloppiness re: alignment issues, particularly with all lights and frunk.

(And I asked them not to wash the car.)
View attachment 843703
View attachment 843709
View attachment 843710
View attachment 843711
View attachment 843713
I would have rejected that car immediately

4) Nearly unpainted front door jambs normal? I believe so but double checking. Only visible when doors opened.

View attachment 843711

A slight gap variation, no biggie, that rear interior piece, mine has a tiny gap on both sides (it's like a smaller piece fitting into a larger piece), where the front joins it's perfect (which is great, since that's really the only area I ever see :D)

Looks like you've got some alignment issues that could lead to a leak, I'd definitely get the windows dialed in. The above? That would be unacceptable from a $99 MAACO paint job.

I could see maybe an area under the frunk, (or up under the fender area), that's not typically exposed and kind of a "utility" area, but that's "exterior paint" from my perspective, it's completely unfinished.

When I clean my car, I detail those areas like I have for all my previous cars, they've always been finished with the same gloss paint as the rest of the car. I took some pics of mine (feel free to share them with the dealer if you pursue this), even the pic of the front door hinge area, you can see it's nicely finished as far back as you can see:

IMG_1821_1920.jpg

IMG_1822_1920.jpg

IMG_1824_1920.jpg

IMG_1825_1920.jpg

A slight gap variation, no biggie, that rear interior piece, mine has a tiny gap on both sides (it's like a smaller piece fitting into a larger piece), where the front joins it's perfect (which is great, since that's really the only area I ever see :D)

Looks like you've got some alignment issues that could lead to a leak, I'd definitely get the windows dialed in. The above? That would be unacceptable from a $99 MAACO paint job.

I could see maybe an area under the frunk, (or up under the fender area), that's not typically exposed and kind of a "utility" area, but that's "exterior paint" from my perspective, it's completely unfinished.

When I clean my car, I detail those areas like I have for all my previous cars, they've always been finished with the same gloss paint as the rest of the car. I took some pics of mine (feel free to share them with the dealer if you pursue this), even the pic of the front door hinge area, you can see it's nicely finished as far back as you can see:

View attachment 843736

View attachment 843737

View attachment 843738

View attachment 843739

Yours actually looks the same. If I'm understanding his picture correctly the area of interest is here:

IMG_1821_1920~2.jpg

It's easier to see from outside of the car. And it's the fender not the door. Mine is unpainted with a little gray overspray.

PXL_20220822_151438206.jpg

This rear bumper issue where the bumper cover doesn't snap onto the cleats beneath it has plagued almost every Model 3 for a few years. Why Fremont cannot address this BAFFLES me!!
Can this be fixed? I was told by a body shop that it's an issue with the bumper cover mold and something they cannot fix without ordering a new bumper cover and rolling the dice that it fits properly.

Thanks all. Very helpful. I’m hopeful this will get remedied.

The lack of paint is in the area clarified above. It seems normal from my understanding but I’m unsure.

Is the sentiment that if the windshield isn’t adjusted it could lead to moisture coming in? I’m thinking too invasive to reattach if just cosmetic. Don’t want rattling or whatever.

Attached some other issues as an fyi. So many fitment issues! But my understanding these are relatively easy for service to fix, yes?

Any tips dealing with service if they give me resistance? Thanks.
A3EDCDC7-B4C9-4C01-9C8E-B6BA84E88934.png
876CDBE7-2763-48AA-B997-6A0FE893993D.png
8E4F9411-D345-4960-9E65-8653013066F9.jpeg
E60F5434-F75D-4568-93A6-31B9247EE255.jpeg
CBC2ECF9-743E-4100-9FB7-74C3D7953C62.jpeg
DF6D18BB-E43B-4EE0-A7A4-C542E3E828CB.jpeg
E5AD7920-DD0A-4EDE-8985-AC95BB9B4819.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow those pics make things look a lot worse. Looks like you got a car with almost all the possible issues that can come p. Something weird happened to that one door like it had been jammed on something. Some of those issues certainly can be fixed but it's so disappointing to see cars like this are still getting released to customers. You get the feeling this is just never going to change.

Reactions: likkuid and Brou

1) Is there supposed to be large gaps on the top two trunk panel gaps, because it auto lifts?

5) Panel gaps below on trunk widen out a bit at the base. Same on both sides. I didn’t submit this as it seems fine, are others like this?

6) Tesla wouldn’t even look at my list on pickup. They said it all has to be done and assessed through the app post delivery. I submitted a service ticket noting all issues were delivery day issues. Anything to keep in mind here? It says it’s in queue to get a cost estimate (?).

Everything else was clear sloppiness re: alignment issues, particularly with all lights and frunk.

View attachment 843703
View attachment 843709
View attachment 843710
View attachment 843711
View attachment 843713

The pictures would be more helpful if you cleaned up the dust/delivery dirt on it.

Just to chime in, we had some issues and to address your questions on #3 and #4

#3 we had the same issue and it was literally a 15 min fix at the service center and all is good!

#4 similar issue and created a service ticket for it. Not visible when doors closed but when opening the doors and LOOKING for it...yes it is an issue. Whether or not it is OK with you then that is your decision.

For the rest of the issues I cant see what you are talking about unless you highlight them.

For us the driver doors against the front quarter panels were not painted.

THE ONLY time this is an issue is when you open the front doors. It is OBVIOUS when someone looks at the car and sees it. Other than that not so much. However, once you notice it....it stands out.

The vehicle is great aside from other issues. I have never seen a car that has paint that hasn't been put on the front side of driver doors while the rest of the car has and..follow up question does it matter?

20220822_134001.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: likkuid and Cho22
Yours actually looks the same. If I'm understanding his picture correctly the area of interest is here:

View attachment 843745

It's easier to see from outside of the car. And it's the fender not the door. Mine is unpainted with a little gray overspray.

View attachment 843746

EXACTLY what I am looking at. Once you open the door you do NOT see (insert paint color) the car paint.

Not a super huge issue but it is one.

Also CLEAN that car so we can see what you are talking about to the OP.

For us YES the glass was misaligned a bit. Not anywhere close to the car we rejected in May.

EXACTLY what I am looking at. Once you open the door you do NOT see (insert paint color) the car paint.

Not a super huge issue but it is one.

Also CLEAN that car so we can see what you are talking about to the OP.

For us YES the glass was misaligned a bit. Not anywhere close to the car we rejected in May.
Thanks all. The reason the car was not clean was my intention to ceramic coat the car myself—extreme care rather than negligence (dealer wash = bad). I will do a base wash prior to bringing it into service on Thursday.

Did you create a ticket for your misaligned glass? I’m unsure if worth fixing.

The pictures would be more helpful if you cleaned up the dust/delivery dirt on it.

Just to chime in, we had some issues and to address your questions on #3 and #4

#3 we had the same issue and it was literally a 15 min fix at the service center and all is good!

#4 similar issue and created a service ticket for it. Not visible when doors closed but when opening the doors and LOOKING for it...yes it is an issue. Whether or not it is OK with you then that is your decision.

For the rest of the issues I cant see what you are talking about unless you highlight them.

For us the driver doors against the front quarter panels were not painted.

THE ONLY time this is an issue is when you open the front doors. It is OBVIOUS when someone looks at the car and sees it. Other than that not so much. However, once you notice it....it stands out.

The vehicle is great aside from other issues. I have never seen a car that has paint that hasn't been put on the front side of driver doors while the rest of the car has and..follow up question does it matter?

View attachment 843870
Thank you that’s helpful. Did they respond to the paint issue yet? Curious to know how that goes.

Yes the car is fantastic. Driving and interior is great.

Thank you that’s helpful. Did they respond to the paint issue yet? Curious to know how that goes.

Yes the car is fantastic. Driving and interior is great.
So we have several issues that our service center is addressing. Paint issues will be the biggest issues. We have an appointment in Mid Sep to have the entire headliner replaced and at that time they will look at the paint issues.

The frustrating part of it all is that I Simply want the car good to go and don't want ANY pushback on issues that came from the factory.

So we have several issues that our service center is addressing. Paint issues will be the biggest issues. We have an appointment in Mid Sep to have the entire headliner replaced and at that time they will look at the paint issues.

The frustrating part of it all is that I Simply want the car good to go and don't want ANY pushback on issues that came from the factory.
I agree with the sentiment, hope all goes well for you.

Did you choose to schedule the appointment for mid-Sept, or did you go in for the app-scheduled appointment to be given a later date for the work?

View attachment 843703
View attachment 843709
View attachment 843710
View attachment 843711
View attachment 843713

Mine was similar in the rear being all misaligned, Took a couple of realignments to get right.