Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery shennanigans & terrible customer service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's my story. Purchased a new Model S for June delivery (my second). Filled everything out, no problems, got a delivery date for June 27 at my local dealership, same place I purchased my first.

Today someone texts me out of the blue and wants to "confirm my delivery", for an entirely different location (Marina Del Rey, vs. Burbank). Those that know L.A. can attest that makes all the difference between taking a long lunch and spending your entire day on the freeway.

So I politely say there must be a mix-up and I already have a confirmed delivery for Burbank. Then the customer service rep informs me "They are no longer doing deliveries in Burbank" and MDR is "my only choice". Having just been in the Burbank location last weekend and seeing them deliver lots of cars, I call BS on that, but ask what other options might exist in SoCal.

"Nothing" I am told. Its Marina Del Rey or nothing in June. I check the website - still shows Thursday for Burbank. I call Burbank, they confirm that because Tesla wants to push for a maximum # of deliveries in June, my only option is to slog through 2 hours of traffic on a work day to pick it up.

I ask if they would rather I cancel the sale entirely than to honor their original delivery agreement and they said yes.

To say this level of customer service falls short is an understatement. So I guess they'll have to make their June numbers with one less Model S delivered.

My LEXUS dealer welcomes me with graciousness.
I have a new clean loaner car at my want.
The hostess at the cafe bar offers me mochas and espressos...along with a wide assortment of nibbles.
The two story waterfall is soothing as I relax in the expansive second story customer lounge...

I enjoy special deals and events...lunch at Post Ranch?
On the house...

I feel appreciated and valued.

I wouldn't put up with the crap I read about here at a Denny's...
But at a Michelin star establishment?
You must be kidding.
Spending over $100k for a car and being treated like dog dirt...
This religious fervor needs an intervention

For those that have to travel into different states to pick up cars or don't have Delivery Centers 5 miles away, we all feel for those of you who have to travel 20 miles extra.

And yes, I've I've traveled all over LA and understand how the traffic can be.

• Funny
Reactions: redgt
My LEXUS dealer welcomes me with graciousness.

I don't have a Lexus, but I do get awesome customer service at Acura for my 22 year old Acura NSX. They drop me off and pick me up. They open the door for me, serve me pastries, snacks, and beverages (bottled water, coffee, mochas, cappuccinos, tea, soda , juice or hot chocolate). The concierge service is excellent. They also answer the phone when I call and reply to my emails.

My delivery experience was terrible and trying to contact the SC results in being on hold or being disconnected. Still haven't gotten my rear spoiler for my P3D, as the 7 that were test fitted had large air gaps. The only bright side has been the truly excellent mobile service that Tesla provides.

Was considering a 2020 Roadster as a replacement for my NSX, but the build quality of my car and customer service has me worried....I'm hoping it will improve though.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and ACA Man
I don't have a Lexus, but I do get awesome customer service at Acura for my 22 year old Acura NSX. They drop me off and pick me up. They open the door for me, serve me pastries, snacks, and beverages (bottled water, coffee, mochas, cappuccinos, tea, soda , juice or hot chocolate). The concierge service is excellent. They also answer the phone when I call and reply to my emails.

My delivery experience was terrible and trying to contact the SC results in being on hold or being disconnected. Still haven't gotten my rear spoiler for my P3D, as the 7 that were test fitted had large air gaps. The only bright side has been the truly excellent mobile service that Tesla provides.

Was considering a 2020 Roadster as a replacement for my NSX, but the build quality of my car and customer service has me worried....I'm hoping it will improve though.
I’d keep the NSX if I were you.

It’ll only increase in value over time.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and jebinc
Here's my story. Purchased a new Model S for June delivery (my second). Filled everything out, no problems, got a delivery date for June 27 at my local dealership, same place I purchased my first.

Today someone texts me out of the blue and wants to "confirm my delivery", for an entirely different location (Marina Del Rey, vs. Burbank). Those that know L.A. can attest that makes all the difference between taking a long lunch and spending your entire day on the freeway.

So I politely say there must be a mix-up and I already have a confirmed delivery for Burbank. Then the customer service rep informs me "They are no longer doing deliveries in Burbank" and MDR is "my only choice". Having just been in the Burbank location last weekend and seeing them deliver lots of cars, I call BS on that, but ask what other options might exist in SoCal.

"Nothing" I am told. Its Marina Del Rey or nothing in June. I check the website - still shows Thursday for Burbank. I call Burbank, they confirm that because Tesla wants to push for a maximum # of deliveries in June, my only option is to slog through 2 hours of traffic on a work day to pick it up.

I ask if they would rather I cancel the sale entirely than to honor their original delivery agreement and they said yes.

To say this level of customer service falls short is an understatement. So I guess they'll have to make their June numbers with one less Model S delivered.

I guess they called BS on your BS call

Not saying it's right to move your pickup but it has happened. Things happen. It is end of quarter tesla. Seems like maybe you don't want the car if you are unwilling to travel 25 miles each way.

Lexus (mentioned above) or any other manufacturer has a free bottle of water, coffee down the street but it will take 5 hours to buy a car and you'll get the extended warranty, lojack, film, gap insurance, coatings, etc pitch in the signing room

or you can drive the 50 miles and spend 15 minutes picking up your new car

It's up to you

I have always got great service, for the last 2 years, I have had my car, it's been very good, I read a lot of stuff how bad the service is, and how some are worried about buying a Tesla. It does seem a lot of this come from the west coast. This doesn't change my mind about buying a other Tesla, just makes me not want to go to Calif.

Not saying it's right to move your pickup but it has happened. Things happen. It is end of quarter tesla. Seems like maybe you don't want the car if you are unwilling to travel 25 miles each way.

It's up to you

I agree. I was very much on the fence about whether to upgrade my S to the latest version. Very little has changed in the three years I had my current car and I'm much more "must have the latest thing". The "Raven" tweaks and lapsing federal credit tipped me over the edge (just barely) to place the order.

And frankly the logistics of the added trip weren't insurmountable. but the cable-company level of customer service was really the tipping point. The delivery guy texts to "confirm" my pickup (which I already had confirmed) for an entirely different place as it that's what I agreed to, like he's gaslighting me. And then he claims "we no longer do deliveries to Burbank", as if they shut that location down or something (alarm bells going off for service, particularly after the recent mood swings regarding Tesla locations). I literally had to call my sales rep in Burbank to confirm that (a) they still exist and (b) they are just doing this to try to push more cars out for the quarter.

If the rep had been more (a) honest and (b) polite about the reasons or (c) expressed some sense of apology for these issues I would probably have stayed the course. Just the barest evidence that they give a *sugar* about my order would have gone a long way.

But when the best they can muster is lies, half-truths, and rudeness, I am more than happy to wait and see what wild price swings and changes the next few months bring.

It's frustrating to see a great product in the hands of an organization so unable to achieve even a basic level of customer service.

You're being petty

So that makes you a blind fanboy then?

Jeff
No, I think it's fine to criticize, but this is what is commonly known as "first world problems" and the OP sounds like a coddled wannabe prince.
I lived in LA for 10 years of my life. Both lived and worked on the west side and in Burbank (and downtown). I know the city. And to whine about having to go to MDR is like really lame.