Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery time with new inventory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hey i question for those that have bought a new inventory model recently (past 6 months or so)

how long did it take from signing the paper work to getting your tesla? the person at the shop said about 3-4 weeks for my MS 75D. i live in cal and the car is in north carolina.

also wondering if anyone tried to have their delivery expedited, and if there is a difference between having the car delivered to your door or to your nearest dealership.

thanks!

I placed my new inventory order on December 24, 2016 and picked up my car on January 16, 2017. So it took slightly over 3 weeks (but during holiday season). FWIW, my car only had to travel about 150 miles to get to my closest service center. So I can certainly see it taking the full 3-4 weeks for a cross country trip.

6 days. I was originally told 4 weeks. But it was ready early. I flew to the service center and drove it home. Denver to Houston. Hope that helps!
thats awesome! did you have to proactively reach out to them to find out, or did they contact you to say your car would be ready 3-ish weeks ahead of time?

thanks for the feedback! i'm definitely try to see if they can get it on a truck and over to me asap.

thats awesome! did you have to proactively reach out to them to find out, or did they contact you to say your car would be ready 3-ish weeks ahead of time?

thanks for the feedback! i'm definitely try to see if they can get it on a truck and over to me asap.
I chose to go get it. Stopping any shipping issue. They reached out to me and asked. I was able to catch a last minute flight for like $24 on frontier airlines. All in all i got really lucky. My humble opinion, but the trucking is part of their issues.

Yes that's why I also ordered an inventory vehicle I'm in Florida car was located in Chicago came in two weeks, delivered in Monday. however it was a disaster filthy no charge not inspected by a service center dealing with it still.

Yes that's why I also ordered an inventory vehicle I'm in Florida car was located in Chicago came in two weeks, delivered in Monday. however it was a disaster filthy no charge not inspected by a service center dealing with it still.
My delivery experience was great, they took fantastic care of me and my wife, as well has had the car fully charged and detailed. They even had a detail set up for us in Houston for our road efforts! Again I got lucky but I also treated them fairly and asked nicely. I was always taught to treat others like I would like to be treated and it has paid off more than once.

I chose to go get it. Stopping any shipping issue. They reached out to me and asked. I was able to catch a last minute flight for like $24 on frontier airlines. All in all i got really lucky. My humble opinion, but the trucking is part of their issues.
yeah their logistics dept is the drawback. i cant get a consistent answer as to where it even is. i hear its on a truck and i also hear its still in charlotte. i asked if there is a way to expedite the shipping. all they can say is no right? :p

they told me that they were having issues with their systems and databases for their logistics system, which is a bit of a drag since they are so customer facing.

i'll try to update this when able.

thanks all for the input. ive def found this club to be very helpful and very informative!

my suggestion - just try to be patient. many stories here about cars taking longer than expected.
my inventory was located in PA, and shipped to Texas service center. took 1 month.
it's a long wait because one is anxious to have the 'tesla grin' but, it will all be worth it in the end, and you will forget all about the wait a few minutes after delivery (at least that's how it was for me)

My delivery experience was great, they took fantastic care of me and my wife, as well has had the car fully charged and detailed. They even had a detail set up for us in Houston for our road efforts! Again I got lucky but I also treated them fairly and asked nicely. I was always taught to treat others like I would like to be treated and it has paid off more than once.

That was our experience as well.

I bought a new inventory model X that's located in SF at the end of July. I live in Southern California and the ETA provided was 2-3 weeks. It's still on track for delivery.
We're in the same boat. Just ordered and were told it could be as quick as 1 week. We're also in SoCal. Please post again once you receive your car. I'm very interested to hear how it goes.

Thanks.

@bbaxter256 Initial delivery was about 11 days from the order date.
Sorry for the delayed reply but I wanted to confirm for others that we also received our new inventory vehicle after only about a week. I guess they probably want to fill an entire truck before moving the cars. We must have just gotten lucky with our timing.

I also wanted to add that I have read from other sources and I believe even on these forums that Tesla does not do test drives before delivery paperwork is signed. That was absolutely untrue in our case. We informed the San Diego DC that we would be wanting to drive the vehicle before signing paperwork and they were very accommodating. Your mileage may vary but we had a very good delivery experience.

YES, there were some outstanding quality issues with the car that we haven't yet resolved but they were all minor and cosmetic in nature. They noted the discrepancies in the paperwork and are going to send a ranger out to our house when the new part arrives. It's disappointing to have these kinds of issues on such an expensive car but at least they are being addressed.