Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Timeframe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my MX order was confirmed on 7/16 and my account is still showing the car is scheduled for production. I was told it would be an early September delivery. How long after order confirmation does it take for the car to go into production? A vin # has been assigned to me as well.

Also when I ordered the car I didn't order the PUP and I just missed the change in the base price. I was able to pay the difference to add it so I'm stoked about that!

Thanks!!

Took me about 4 - 5 weeks before it entered production after I got a VIN. Check the spreadsheet sticked in one of the threads to get a general idea. Their estimates are pretty spot on, so I would expect to be notified that it entered production sometime in September

Reactions: gazepdapi
Will do thanks! So it takes roughly a week to build the car then?
Yes it takes about 5-7 days to build your car. It will always go to EOL (end of line) but it may not stay there. It only stays there for more than a few hours if something is wrong with it and they need to basically pull it off to the side to address issues. Your DS should be in contact with you when it enters production, and hopefully before that. Mine was awesome about that stuff.

Awesome thanks guys. So I guess I should stop refreshing my account page then to see any changes!!
My advice to you is to do something else for the next month and some change honestly. Or read up on every post here to learn as much about the car as you can :D

Time does not go by quickly though. The only time it did was when I went to san fran for a week on vacation. That's when my car started production, got onto a truck and arrived in Austin :D

Reactions: gazepdapi
My advice to you is to do something else for the next month and some change honestly. Or read up on every post here to learn as much about the car as you can :D

Time does not go by quickly though. The only time it did was when I went to san fran for a week on vacation. That's when my car started production, got onto a truck and arrived in Austin :D

..to add to this ignore the posts about horrible X quality , bad delivery experience , horrible service centers ....and focus on all the other things you need to buy for your car once you get : dash cam, paint protection film , ceramic coatings .....:oops:

To be fair, reading all of the posts about quality issues is informative and should hopefully set your expectations for a worst-case scenario. I walked into my delivery expecting the worst and being pleasantly surprised. I DID have issues, but everything I've read helped me prepare to know what to look for (especially things like the passenger window squeaking when rolling all the way up). I would agree with @P85_DA in that you shouldn't start chicken-littling though. Your car will almost certainly not have its doors chew up your seats on closing, make your MCU2 brick itself or just throw a million errors with disconnected wires when you first drive off the lot. It has happened, as evidenced by some posts here, but I think that is truly in the minority.

Things to definitely expect are issues like panel alignment, trim alignment, rubber seals not being tucked in or being crooked, plastic pieces not totally lined up and minor paint damage (oh and did I mention passenger window squeaking? :p). Shouldn't be anything that makes your car unable to be driven though.

What I did spend a LOT of time on while waiting was:
1) Debating whether or not to do apply PPF (I was adamantly against it at first, and went full 360 to do a full wrap and ceramic coat on top). Once you figure out if you want to PPF, then you need to figure out what product you want to use and what installer to go with. That process took weeks to meet them, check out their shop, etc.
2) Figure out which tint to get and to also check out their shop if you're not familiar with them
3) Figure out what accessories to get
4) Figure out where to install your 14-50 or HPWC in the garage
5) Learn about batteries, the best way to charge the car and what to expect in general ownership.
6) Take a model X out multiple times, sometimes overnight, to do things like test driving at night, test garage fitment, etc.

Also when I ordered the car I didn't order the PUP and I just missed the change in the base price. I was able to pay the difference to add it so I'm stoked about that!

Thanks!!

See, this is complete crap. I placed an order at the end of June with no PUP and in mid-July when the price change came (and the car was still not in production), they would not do anything for me. No paying the difference in price to get PUP, and no canceling the order without sacrificing my deposit. They did exactly squat for me.

Since I had FSD in the order, I went ahead and canceled it, ate the $2500 and reordered, this time without FSD and WITH PUP (from a different SC). I now have the pleasure of waiting until mid-September :(

The spreadsheet here is a great way to track what is happening. My X is almost to the top of the production queue so I am doing the daily refresh to check if it has entered production. The darn queue sat for days with only foreign vehicles getting entered into production. Finally saw Teiger's X get scheduled today (lucky Teiger!) - there is hope. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning...

A mid-July confirmation is still quite a ways up the queue. As others have said, no point in daily checking quite yet. The spreadsheet is fun to watch the daily changes and get a better feel for what is happening. When I emailed my DA, he had no more information than the spreadsheet essentially provides.

Thanks for the advice guys. Yeah I think I've seen every you tube video on the X that I can find and reading through these forums every day. I've definitely learned a ton.

I'm definitely looking to install a dashcam but I'm not so sure on the PPF at this point. Although the car is expensive, I'm not so sure I want to spend another 5k to get it wrapped....at least not in the beginning.

What I did spend a LOT of time on while waiting was:
1) Debating whether or not to do apply PPF (I was adamantly against it at first, and went full 360 to do a full wrap and ceramic coat on top). Once you figure out if you want to PPF, then you need to figure out what product you want to use and what installer to go with. That process took weeks to meet them, check out their shop, etc.
2) Figure out which tint to get and to also check out their shop if you're not familiar with them
3) Figure out what accessories to get
4) Figure out where to install your 14-50 or HPWC in the garage
5) Learn about batteries, the best way to charge the car and what to expect in general ownership.
6) Take a model X out multiple times, sometimes overnight, to do things like test driving at night, test garage fitment, etc.

1. What changed you mind on the PPF?
3. What accessories are a must for this car??

The spreadsheet here is a great way to track what is happening. My X is almost to the top of the production queue so I am doing the daily refresh to check if it has entered production. The darn queue sat for days with only foreign vehicles getting entered into production. Finally saw Teiger's X get scheduled today (lucky Teiger!) - there is hope. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning...

A mid-July confirmation is still quite a ways up the queue. As others have said, no point in daily checking quite yet. The spreadsheet is fun to watch the daily changes and get a better feel for what is happening. When I emailed my DA, he had no more information than the spreadsheet essentially provides.

Awesome. I put my info on the spreadsheet as well.

Although the car is expensive, I'm not so sure I want to spend another 5k to get it wrapped....at least not in the beginning.

If you're not going to do it right away, then don't bother. Highly likely your car is going to sustain damage while you were 'naked' and then at that point, why bother locking in something that is not as pristine as it can be?

1. What changed you mind on the PPF?
3. What accessories are a must for this car??

There were several reasons why I went full 180 (dunno wtf I said 360 in my last post to end up back where I started:rolleyes: I blame 3/4 a bottle of wine before posting).
1) Road rash. I've seen a handful of pics and anecdotal evidence about the rear doors getting absolutely destroyed by debris kicked up from the fronts as you drive over stuff. At first I felt like I could deal with it, but after seeing some of the pictures in Must wrap areas on MX I couldn't stand it anymore. It's one thing to get the occasional chip in the paint. I can live with that chaos. But by design? That means it'll just grow over time. I plan on hand washing my car in my garage, and every time I wash the car, I don't want to cry and be unhappy when I see a new piece of damage on my car. I'm anal enough to let that bother me for sure. Not to mention, I bought deep blue metallic because I wanted to be different and have a sweet color. That is gonna look BAD if it keeps getting chipping up and sandblasted. Also if you look at the model X in person, you realize how much surface area is begging to be nailed by road debris. The front is beautiful, but it's basically a wide piece of aluminum telling junk "HIT MEH!". I didn't want to deal w/ the stress of finding crap like that, scratches and scuffs from supermarket carts, my kids, my wife, myself :eek:. By the time I priced out doing just the front and the rears (doors too) it was the same price to just do the whole car.

Also, once I did that, it was only $600 for me to coat the thing w/ ceramic to make cleaning the car an absolute breeze. I just rubbed my hands over the car and it's amazing how SLICK the car is. I'll be able to simply wax-on, wax-off in the garage and have a beautiful car. Once going far enough down the rabbit hole, I decided to just go all the way down.

With regards to glassparency on the windshield. I've read enough stories and test driven enough model Xes to know that the wipers are sub-par compared to my previous lexuses (lexii?:eek:). I decided to give the X a helping hand by dumping a ton of ceramic coating on it to make sure that visibility in the rain isn't an issue at all. In Austin, when it rains, it usually pours, so I need good wipers for visibility. Also, it was only $125, so if I was already down $4700, what's another $125? :oops::oops::D

To sum it up, I was lazy and over-protective. I wanted to have a good-looking car all the time and make it trivial to wash it. Time will tell if it was a good decision or not, but now I'm prepared to drive it like I stole it! :cool:

As far as accessories go, I had my eye on a few different ones. You can see my post about them here: Any advice/experience with aftermarket accessories?

1) All-weather mats. I had these for the first time in my RX and I'm amazed. With kids and rain, mud, etc, it was just too good. Damp carpet stinks and stains. They're not cheap, but I bought the Tesla all-weather mats for my frunk, front seats and rear. I didn't buy one for the trunk because I'm irked at the designs of them all. I will constantly be shifting between the rear seats folded down and up, and I don't want to be bothered by having to remove the mat there to do so. Fitment is nice, and I love the look. The "Model X" logo is top notch. Very classy. Note: If you do get them, make sure you tuck the edge of the front driver/passenger side underneath the plastic edge. That gives it a perfect fit, and it's tucked under so no water can get in.

IMG_0792.jpg

2) Performance pedals - Not a must have, but ... a must have for me :p I missed them from my IS350 and definitely wanted them given how "fast" this car can be :cool: Have not received them yet, though Evannex shipped them already along with accessory #3. I bought them because they seemed easiest to install and felt decently priced at $50.

3) Trunk organizer. I went w/ the evannex one because I felt it was the best designed and most practical. It wasn't cheap, coming in at $99 but I already know I'm going to keep my microfibers, quick detailing sprays, bug/tar remover sprays, charging cables, kids changing supplies, etc in them and it's going to be sweet!

4) Center console shelf w/ Qi charging. My phone flies everywhere in the car, even with only medium acceleration. Laying flat and further up higher is going to be amazing. Add on high speed charging, and it seems good to me. I never use cup holders because there are no drinks allowed in my car, so I'm not too worried. I can always remove the shelf if I need to get something in there for now.

5) Cubby. I do want a cubby to store things. Storage space in an X in the front is at an absolute premium, and this seems like the best. I am almost certain I'm going to go with norm's cubby, but he's on vacation until 8/5 so there's no rush for me to place my order on that. I'm also curious to know if he will be able to match the graphite trim with the handle or not.

I think that's all I got as far as accessories, besides cleaning supplies for the car. Hope this helps! I plan on updating my accessories thread with some of the products as I install them and use them.

• Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA
So my MX order was confirmed on 7/16 and my account is still showing the car is scheduled for production. I was told it would be an early September delivery. How long after order confirmation does it take for the car to go into production? A vin # has been assigned to me as well.

Thanks!!

Hi Gazepdapi,

how did you manage to add PUP after the fact. my order was confirmed on July 18th and since then I am struggling to add this option but no success. what route did you take. any advise is appreciated.