Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Timeframe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're not going to do it right away, then don't bother. Highly likely your car is going to sustain damage while you were 'naked' and then at that point, why bother locking in something that is not as pristine as it can be?

There were several reasons why I went full 180 (dunno wtf I said 360 in my last post to end up back where I started:rolleyes: I blame 3/4 a bottle of wine before posting).
1) Road rash. I've seen a handful of pics and anecdotal evidence about the rear doors getting absolutely destroyed by debris kicked up from the fronts as you drive over stuff. At first I felt like I could deal with it, but after seeing some of the pictures in Must wrap areas on MX I couldn't stand it anymore. It's one thing to get the occasional chip in the paint. I can live with that chaos. But by design? That means it'll just grow over time. I plan on hand washing my car in my garage, and every time I wash the car, I don't want to cry and be unhappy when I see a new piece of damage on my car. I'm anal enough to let that bother me for sure. Not to mention, I bought deep blue metallic because I wanted to be different and have a sweet color. That is gonna look BAD if it keeps getting chipping up and sandblasted. Also if you look at the model X in person, you realize how much surface area is begging to be nailed by road debris. The front is beautiful, but it's basically a wide piece of aluminum telling junk "HIT MEH!". I didn't want to deal w/ the stress of finding crap like that, scratches and scuffs from supermarket carts, my kids, my wife, myself :eek:. By the time I priced out doing just the front and the rears (doors too) it was the same price to just do the whole car.

Also, once I did that, it was only $600 for me to coat the thing w/ ceramic to make cleaning the car an absolute breeze. I just rubbed my hands over the car and it's amazing how SLICK the car is. I'll be able to simply wax-on, wax-off in the garage and have a beautiful car. Once going far enough down the rabbit hole, I decided to just go all the way down.

With regards to glassparency on the windshield. I've read enough stories and test driven enough model Xes to know that the wipers are sub-par compared to my previous lexuses (lexii?:eek:). I decided to give the X a helping hand by dumping a ton of ceramic coating on it to make sure that visibility in the rain isn't an issue at all. In Austin, when it rains, it usually pours, so I need good wipers for visibility. Also, it was only $125, so if I was already down $4700, what's another $125? :oops::oops::D

To sum it up, I was lazy and over-protective. I wanted to have a good-looking car all the time and make it trivial to wash it. Time will tell if it was a good decision or not, but now I'm prepared to drive it like I stole it! :cool:

As far as accessories go, I had my eye on a few different ones. You can see my post about them here: Any advice/experience with aftermarket accessories?

1) All-weather mats. I had these for the first time in my RX and I'm amazed. With kids and rain, mud, etc, it was just too good. Damp carpet stinks and stains. They're not cheap, but I bought the Tesla all-weather mats for my frunk, front seats and rear. I didn't buy one for the trunk because I'm irked at the designs of them all. I will constantly be shifting between the rear seats folded down and up, and I don't want to be bothered by having to remove the mat there to do so. Fitment is nice, and I love the look. The "Model X" logo is top notch. Very classy. Note: If you do get them, make sure you tuck the edge of the front driver/passenger side underneath the plastic edge. That gives it a perfect fit, and it's tucked under so no water can get in.

View attachment 322354

2) Performance pedals - Not a must have, but ... a must have for me :p I missed them from my IS350 and definitely wanted them given how "fast" this car can be :cool: Have not received them yet, though Evannex shipped them already along with accessory #3. I bought them because they seemed easiest to install and felt decently priced at $50.

3) Trunk organizer. I went w/ the evannex one because I felt it was the best designed and most practical. It wasn't cheap, coming in at $99 but I already know I'm going to keep my microfibers, quick detailing sprays, bug/tar remover sprays, charging cables, kids changing supplies, etc in them and it's going to be sweet!

4) Center console shelf w/ Qi charging. My phone flies everywhere in the car, even with only medium acceleration. Laying flat and further up higher is going to be amazing. Add on high speed charging, and it seems good to me. I never use cup holders because there are no drinks allowed in my car, so I'm not too worried. I can always remove the shelf if I need to get something in there for now.

5) Cubby. I do want a cubby to store things. Storage space in an X in the front is at an absolute premium, and this seems like the best. I am almost certain I'm going to go with norm's cubby, but he's on vacation until 8/5 so there's no rush for me to place my order on that. I'm also curious to know if he will be able to match the graphite trim with the handle or not.

I think that's all I got as far as accessories, besides cleaning supplies for the car. Hope this helps! I plan on updating my accessories thread with some of the products as I install them and use them.

Thanks a lot for the thorough feedback. I'll definetly pickup the all weather mats and the cubby. I'll have to think about the PPF. I'm getting the solid black color and I've read that from all the colors offered, thats the worst one since it's the base color. Is there any truth to this?

Thanks a lot for the thorough feedback. I'll definetly pickup the all weather mats and the cubby. I'll have to think about the PPF. I'm getting the solid black color and I've read that from all the colors offered, thats the worst one since it's the base color. Is there any truth to this?

what do you mean by worse? if you mean its lower quality thats not true. black just happens to show swirls and marks and water stains easier than anything else by nature of its color. But its still as high of a quality paint as any of the other paid options.

So my MX order was confirmed on 7/16 and my account is still showing the car is scheduled for production. I was told it would be an early September delivery. How long after order confirmation does it take for the car to go into production? A vin # has been assigned to me as well.

Also when I ordered the car I didn't order the PUP and I just missed the change in the base price. I was able to pay the difference to add it so I'm stoked about that!

Thanks!!

How did you manage to do this? Many of us who tried had a clear No from Tesla advisors. Care to share which state you ordered your MX (or are you based overseas)? Thx.

How did you manage to do this? Many of us who tried had a clear No from Tesla advisors. Care to share which state you ordered your MX (or are you based overseas)? Thx.

I worked with my OA to make the change. It took him over a week to find out what to do but he eventually told me the change was made to my account and that PUP was added. $500 for the change and an additional $2500. To be fair I have not seen the change myself yet but I have it in writing from my OA that the change was made. I'm in Michigan so the car will come to Cleveland

Black is hard as heck to keep clean and free of swirl marks. If your process isn't flawless, it will definitely get swirl marks over time that will require paint correction later if you're super anal. If you have black or a super dark color, PPF will alleviate a lot of headaches for you.

If you don't care though, then definitely skip it and pocket $5k to spend on something else!

I worked with my OA to make the change. It took him over a week to find out what to do but he eventually told me the change was made to my account and that PUP was added. $500 for the change and an additional $2500. To be fair I have not seen the change myself yet but I have it in writing from my OA that the change was made. I'm in Michigan so the car will come to Cleveland

Thx for sharing. No such luck for Californians! It was a loud and clear, No for me and others who tried! PUP or no PUP, MX is a beast and am sure would be a pleasure to drive it, whenever we get it!

Reactions: TexasRat
Thx for sharing. No such luck for Californians! It was a loud and clear, No for me and others who tried! PUP or no PUP, MX is a beast and am sure would be a pleasure to drive it, whenever we get it!

Yeah I have no need for the PUP but for half the price it was worth it so why not. I just want the damn car already!! Early Sept. delivery for me :(

Black is hard as heck to keep clean and free of swirl marks. If your process isn't flawless, it will definitely get swirl marks over time that will require paint correction later if you're super anal. If you have black or a super dark color, PPF will alleviate a lot of headaches for you.

If you don't care though, then definitely skip it and pocket $5k to spend on something else!

Yeah I'm not that anal about it but I'll do some shopping around anyways to see if there's any decent places here in MI that can perform the work.

I definitely plan on washing the car at least once a week to keep it clean. I just don't think it's worth the 5k.

Then I hope my OA isn't BSing me about the PUP!! lol
:eek::eek::eek:

I wasn't going to get it. Then I took home a loaner to drive around that a night. Self-presenting doors are so good. Afterwards, it's like, wtf my door doesn't always open for me automatically!? It sounds gimmicky, but it's really not.

Premium sound is GOOD. Way better than base.

I'm a Hawaii boy, so I get cold even in Texas winters. I'm going to love the heated seats throughout the car and the steering wheel.

HEPA filtration is VERY good. Love it.

Dropped that $6k on the car and haven't looked back :cool:

But if you choose not to get it (if you didn't get it) I think you're still going to love the car. Win-win situation!

I originally had solid black as my choice too but after reading through a bunch of posts, it sounds like it's the hardest to keep clean and maintain. Similar to what others have said already. I wound up switching to white instead.

Well turns out my OA was wrong. He told me he was misinformed and that my car which is currently in production will not get PUP but he said I have an option to cancel and either place another order and push delivery to end of September to included PUP or there's an inventory vehicle available that has my exact same specs but it's pearl white compared to the black I ordered.

I'm tempted to make the change seeing as I could get the white X right away. What do you guys think?

Well turns out my OA was wrong. He told me he was misinformed and that my car which is currently in production will not get PUP but he said I have an option to cancel and either place another order and push delivery to end of September to included PUP or there's an inventory vehicle available that has my exact same specs but it's pearl white compared to the black I ordered.

I'm tempted to make the change seeing as I could get the white X right away. What do you guys think?
Pearl white is sweet. As long as there's nothing wrong w/ the car, I'd go for that. Black is nice too. White is nice. Blue is nice. They're all nice. :p

If you are not particular about color then why not, pearl white is nice and probably won't show dirt as much as black!