Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery times of Tesla Model-Y (June-July orders)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered 7/18 | MYLR | 5 Seater | Deep Blue Metallic | White Interior | 20" Wheels | No Tow | No FSD

EDD moved from Oct 19 - Nov 8 to Nov 1 - Nov 29.

It was a 20 day window, now its a 28 day window further out. Is that a bad sign?

I'm in Miami so I assumed the distance from Fremont factory would delay my order a little vs someone on the West coast but didn't expect it to delay this much!

Any other Miami/Florida orders have the same thing happen?
I have the same order date as you. My EDD moved several times (now 11/06 -12/04). I spoke to an SA at the Tesla near me and he said that until I get a VIN it is hard to tell when you will receive the car. He did assure me that I should get it before year end and most likely be a 2022 model.

I have the same order date as you. My EDD moved several times (now 11/06 -12/04). I spoke to an SA at the Tesla near me and he said that until I get a VIN it is hard to tell when you will receive the car. He did assure me that I should get it before year end and most likely be a 2022 model.
Anyone has any clues when the 2022 model VIN will start rolling out. On historical data it should have been sometime mid october but some of the folks did mention that they got 2021 vin in the last week.

Oh wow that is actually some great info. I wouldn't mind the wait if it meant I'd get a 2022 model. Here's hoping!

My wife just got a VIN. OD 7/15 for a red MYLR all basic with towbar. The dates bounced all around October and November. Recently it was like October 25th-Feb 10th or something, and then on 10/15 it became 10/17 - 10/29. Yesterday it was 10/20 - 10/29 and today she got a VIN and a date of 10/24 - 10/27 (I told her to check yesterday, and she said "I just checked on the weekend." Some people, jeez.)

I placed my order on 7/29/2021 (Model Y LR, tow, FSD). When I ordered Elon had tweeted Model Y from Austin would use 4680 cells from day one, I figured FSD price might go up after the upcoming AI day, and that I had waited long enough to collect any federal rebate that might pass.
  • EDD: End of November when order placed.
  • EDD: Slipped to late December, early January a while later.
  • EDD: Disappeared. Disappeared. Disappeared.
  • EDD: I stopped watching, but looked yesterday, and now it is March 03 - March 31.
I was surprised by the March date, and even more surprised when I checked the forum and saw many individuals reporting VINs. That is also when I saw references like these:

Mine is a cash order. I promptly filled out everything EXCEPT trade-in. I had not decided about trade-in, and figured there was no rush since any trade-in offer would expire before November anyway. I frankly would normally prefer not to trade-in. However, I live in NH and will have to pickup my Tesla in NJ. Getting to NJ quickly and cheaply from NH without driving looks very difficult, a strong argument to trade-in my 2009 Honda CRV instead of selling locally.

I texted my rep, who gave me boiler plate about Tesla will get me a car when they have a car. I specifically asked if I should complete Trade-In task. He said yes, and that we could change it if I changed my mind before delivery.

So I started the trade-in task. However, I could not "Submit" because the car was rear ended at low speed almost a decade ago. The other driver's insurance paid for a full repair. However, that means I cannot "certify" that the car has never been in an accident. So I clicked the Contact Us link. As I write this I am waiting for Tesla to contact me about trade-in value. If they don't get back to me soon, I may select NO, then perhaps change it after I get a VIN.

Ironically, after Tesla indicated they might not ship initial Austin builds with 4680 cells, I had been debating postponing delivery till March anyway. Though I don't want it to slip past March. With yesterday's earnings call saying 4680s early in 2022 if not delayed by unknown unknowns, I think I am comfortable with the March date. I just don't want it to slip past March.

I have doubts that this March EDD is correct. It looks like most June, and July orders will be filled in Oct-Nov, based on what people are reporting. And you, especially with the FSD in, will be a priority for them. I ordered my wife's on 7/15. EDD is Oct 28-Nov 20. It has bounced around a lot. A part of me is happy it gets delayed, since I am hoping to land an Austin made Y, but since it wont come out till early 2022, I think we'll get ours from Fremont. Not sure what I want to do if I get a VIN within next month. My wire doesn't care.

Are the Estimated Delivery Dates ever correct? :)
I have doubts that this March EDD is correct.
It will probably bounce around. Especially if I ever get my trade-in preference submitted. Then I'll probably not even notice when I get a VIN and appointment date until the date passes! :)

In truth, sitting here typing this I hope the EDD sticks, and that it lets me get an Austin with a 4680 pack. I hope to own the MY for more than a decade, so enjoying the anticipation for a few more months would be worth it for the upcoming refresh. My worst case scenario is probably to just miss out on the MY refresh by a few days or weeks, which still could happen even with a late March delivery.

It will probably bounce around. Especially if I ever get my trade-in preference submitted. Then I'll probably not even notice when I get a VIN and appointment date until the date passes! :)

In truth, sitting here typing this I hope the EDD sticks, and that it lets me get an Austin with a 4680 pack. I hope to own the MY for more than a decade, so enjoying the anticipation for a few more months would be worth it for the upcoming refresh. My worst case scenario is probably to just miss out on the MY refresh by a few days or weeks, which still could happen even with a late March delivery.
Your trade in has nothing to do with it. For my model 3 LFP, I only filled my trade-in once I had my VIN, and EDD was within 1 week. I then compared with Carvana, Carmax, Vroom etc.

"Then I'll probably not even notice when I get a VIN and appointment date until the date passes!" - This is not happening. You know that.

Also, in general, I dont understand the Tesla beating on delivery delays. Yes they are there, but same for others. We ordered a furniture and received after 7months, only to be sent back due to defects. A person I know ordered a Porsche Macan last month, and has his EDD in 4/2022. So......

Reactions: cusetownusa

Also, if you want to keep the car for 10 years, I think waiting for an Austin make is very appropriate. You'll have more mental satisfaction.

Reactions: cusetownusa
My EDD is Oct 23-Nov 12 and it's stayed that way for the past month with no change. I've tried contacting the SA to understand when I might expect to have a VIN assigned but have had no response to any of my questions since I last spoke to him the day after I placed the order. I live a couple of blocks from a showroom, would it be worth a shot to go there and ask one of the salespersons?

My EDD is Oct 23-Nov 12 and it's stayed that way for the past month with no change. I've tried contacting the SA to understand when I might expect to have a VIN assigned but have had no response to any of my questions since I last spoke to him the day after I placed the order. I live a couple of blocks from a showroom, would it be worth a shot to go there and ask one of the salespersons?
A steady EDD is a good sign. Why talk to an SA? You won’t get it sooner… :)
(I never had any communication with my SA, other than being called to arrange a delivery the day my VIN was assigned.)

Once you are in the EDD window it will likely narrow to a 5 day range, and then you’ll know that a VIN is imminent.

A steady EDD is a good sign. Why talk to an SA? You won’t get it sooner… :)
(I never had any communication with my SA, other than being called to arrange a delivery the day my VIN was assigned.)

Once you are in the EDD window it will likely narrow to a 5 day range, and then you’ll know that a VIN is imminent.
You are probably right 😀 being this close is making me antsy. Overall the wait has worked out in my favor, I was plan on trading in my car, and Tesla's trade in value for it has increased significantly since I placed the order on 7/20. Which of course now also makes me tense every time I have to drive my current car around Chicago 😩

Reactions: lulu2