Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery times of Tesla Model-Y (June-July orders)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I posted about my EDD currently being September. (I hope for BBB, Austin, and 4680s, so I never completed the Trade-In section.)
Ironically, today I received the text message:
Tesla Update - Congratulations, it's your turn to schedule your Model Y for delivery...
My account now shows:
Order Update
Tesla Vision

Since May 2021, Model 3 and Model Y vehicles built for the North American market rely on camera vision and neural net processing to deliver Autopilot, Full-Self Driving and certain active safety features. Learn more
(ACCEPT AND PROCEED WITH DELIVERY)
I did NOT click the ACCEPT AND PROCEED button. Instead I immediately sent a text to my advisor requesting a 30 day delay. He called me back quickly and tried to talk me into taking this VIN. With a bit of "Tesla might cancel your order" thrown in. My memory is that the contract with Tesla allows me to delay for up to 30 days, and I told him the forums would be going crazy if Tesla was actually cancelling orders. He did inform me the car was built on December 14th, and expected to arrive in NJ on X-mas eve. He did not think they could delay my picking it up until January. Since I have never formally delayed or rejected a car before, I held firm that I was not going to drive from NH to NJ before New Years Day. He eventually consulted with his manager, and agreed to unmatch me from this VIN. Though he said I might be matched with another VIN this year.

It will be interesting to see how quickly Tesla matches me again. I would say the odds have significantly increased that I will be taking delivery in the first quarter of 2022 instead of September! Alas, the odds have also significantly increased that I will miss out on 4680s, not to mention any BBB tax credits.

Yesterday I posted about my EDD currently being September. (I hope for BBB, Austin, and 4680s, so I never completed the Trade-In section.)
Ironically, today I received the text message:

My account now shows:

I did NOT click the ACCEPT AND PROCEED button. Instead I immediately sent a text to my advisor requesting a 30 day delay. He called me back quickly and tried to talk me into taking this VIN. With a bit of "Tesla might cancel your order" thrown in. My memory is that the contract with Tesla allows me to delay for up to 30 days, and I told him the forums would be going crazy if Tesla was actually cancelling orders. He did inform me the car was built on December 14th, and expected to arrive in NJ on X-mas eve. He did not think they could delay my picking it up until January. Since I have never formally delayed or rejected a car before, I held firm that I was not going to drive from NH to NJ before New Years Day. He eventually consulted with his manager, and agreed to unmatch me from this VIN. Though he said I might be matched with another VIN this year.

It will be interesting to see how quickly Tesla matches me again. I would say the odds have significantly increased that I will be taking delivery in the first quarter of 2022 instead of September! Alas, the odds have also significantly increased that I will miss out on 4680s, not to mention any BBB tax credits.
You have 30 days if they assign another vin to you in that time. Once they assign and you reject, they can say the next vin isn’t available until Feb and then cancel your order. If one is available two days later you’d have to take that one. You can’t just postpone for exactly 30 days, you just get in line for another vin. It’s a risk you take if you postpone now.

The roller coaster continues.
[Saturday 12/18] I posted about my EDD currently being September. (I hope for BBB, Austin, and 4680s, so I never completed the Trade-In section.)

[Sunday 12/19 the sales rep] eventually consulted with his manager, and agreed to unmatch me from this VIN. Though he said I might be matched with another VIN this year.
On Monday 12/20 after receiving an automated select your appointment reminder from Tesla, I asked my sales rep if I had been unmatched. He said he had, but that he would try again. When I looked later that afternoon my account showed On Hold until January 1st.

Thinking I have now arguably activated the clock on the 30 day delay I'm allowed, I figured I might be "forced" to accept another VIN in January or February. Since my driveway is a steep hill often covered with black ice in the winter, I started shopping for studded winter tires. Guess what, I waited too long. I could not find ANY studded tires that matched Model Y 19" wheels. I did find two online stores that still had limited availability of the Michelin X-Ice Snow tires, and almost ordered a set. However, my wife did not think they would be good enough to climb our driveway when covered in black ice. I consulted with a local tire sales person who sells both the Nokian Hakkapelitta 10 EV and the Michelin X-Ice Snow and he agreed with my wife.

My wife's solution is that if necessary I park the Tesla in the garage, keep my current car which has Nokian studded tires parked outside to drive until spring. So not only would I not get to drive my new toy, I would also get to brush the snow off and hand shovel around my old CRV for the rest of the winter instead of letting the plow guy deal with the whole driveway.

The other issue with my wife's solution is that instead of driving my old car down from NH to NJ to swap cars with Tesla. Now I would need to either take some form of public transportation to NJ during a Covid wave, pay a pretty penny for a one-way car rental to NJ (assuming one is available on short notice), or pay even more to have the car transported from NJ to NH.

I don't know how long it will be before Tesla matches me with a new VIN, but now I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hope it isn't before March. It is one thing to wait to accept a Model Y while dreaming of BBB rebates, 4680 batteries, and other upgrades. It is another thing entirely to repeatedly walk past a new toy you cannot use every time you drive somewhere, not to mention walking by to shovel out the car you can use!

Ordered Aug 2021 (I feel like we're gonna have to start clarifying lol).

EDD originally of Nov/Dec.

Pushed to Jan.
Then pushed to Mar.

This morning I've woken up, and now it says... JUNE.

What in the world is going on?!
I ordered on July 30th and my EDD has been all over, from Dec to June back to March, then April and now back to June. I ended up buying a Mustang Mach E for the time been as I don't know when (or IF) I will ever get my car. MY LR, Blue, white interior with TOW no FSD. Hang in there, and don't get rid of your other car.

Recap, I ordered in July. About an hour before Manchin killed Build Back Better, after being matched with a VIN, I convinced my SA to put my order on hold till Jan 1, instead of my taking an X-mas eve pickup. Since then I continued to not fill out the Trade-In portion of my paperwork. My EDD bounced around between September, and June-July during January and February of 2022. On 2/22/2022 I noticed that it had jumped to March 09 - March 23. I doubt I can postpone again.

So I decided it was time to give up my dreams of rebates, Austin builds with 4680s, and projector headlights on a MYLR.

Today I called and had them switch my delivery mode to "Carrier Direct Delivery." Then online I completed the paperwork indicating that I will pay in full, and will not have a trade-in. Now I just have to wait for a VIN, for delivery, and then for days without ice on my driveway in New Hampshire. (Today's expected high is 65F, but in two days we are expecting 6 to 12 inches of snow.)

Recap, I ordered in July. About an hour before Manchin killed Build Back Better, after being matched with a VIN, I convinced my SA to put my order on hold till Jan 1, instead of my taking an X-mas eve pickup. Since then I continued to not fill out the Trade-In portion of my paperwork. My EDD bounced around between September, and June-July during January and February of 2022. On 2/22/2022 I noticed that it had jumped to March 09 - March 23. I doubt I can postpone again.

So I decided it was time to give up my dreams of rebates, Austin builds with 4680s, and projector headlights on a MYLR.

Today I called and had them switch my delivery mode to "Carrier Direct Delivery." Then online I completed the paperwork indicating that I will pay in full, and will not have a trade-in. Now I just have to wait for a VIN, for delivery, and then for days without ice on my driveway in New Hampshire. (Today's expected high is 65F, but in two days we are expecting 6 to 12 inches of snow.)
Hey, at least you get 12V lithium battery and the other goodies!!! I got my 2022 Y in Nov and still have no regrets. Jealous of all the new features but oh well, whatever

Reactions: B_E_V and telsasan
The AMD is quicker, but I wish my son and I could play Sonic...so there don't be too jealous.
I think Sonic is a USB issue not a Processor issue. Heard that they removed all the USB Data ports and replaced with USB Charging only, all but for the USB Data in the glove box. Until they update to use BlueTooth game pads, the games were not loaded. Forgot which forum I read about that.

I think Sonic is a USB issue not a Processor issue. Heard that they removed all the USB Data ports and replaced with USB Charging only, all but for the USB Data in the glove box. Until they update to use BlueTooth game pads, the games were not loaded. Forgot which forum I read about that.
That is exactly what happened. Charging is slower, no data, so therefore no games that require controllers.

That is exactly what happened. Charging is slower, no data, so therefore no games that require controllers.
Check out this thread. There is an aftermarket fix for the no data console ports.

Though it may not give you Sonic.

Last edited:
Hey, at least you get 12V lithium battery and the other goodies!!! I got my 2022 Y in Nov and still have no regrets. Jealous of all the new features but oh well, whatever
I might have to stop reading the forums and EV news so I don't get jealous myself!

Though I am very glad that I didn't take the December VIN. Mostly because I discovered a few days later that studded tires which fit the Gemini wheels were sold out in the USA for the season. With my steep icy driveway studded tires are unfortunately a must.

Hopefully my MYLR will have the new processor, the new lithium battery, and the new wiper park heater. I can also console myself with the July 2021 price for a 2022 vehicle.

Reactions: theocguy
Check out this thread. There is an aftermarket fix for the no data console ports.

Though it may not give you Sonic.
They have the Intel units in stock and are waiting for the AMD (USB2 versus USB3 I believe). I'm picking up mine today. :)

Reactions: B_E_V