Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery to southern New England Woes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've just purchased a used Tesla S. The car is being bought from Tesla off their used Tesla website. The car was advertised in big, bold print to be a certain price with a $500 transportation fee to my zip code. After paying the $1,000 up-front fee, and getting to the final price, I found another $750 "carrier direct fee" tacked on. After 2 days of talking with 3 reps from Tesla for an explanation, I have received different explanations.

The first rep told me the $750 was to deliver the car to my home and he would waive it if I took delivery at the Rhode Island Tesla center. I agreed. The next day I received an email from another Tesla rep saying the first rep was incorrect. I could not take delivery in RI and would have to go to Palamus, NJ (200+miles and a 3 1/2 hour drive south) to get the car. I declined that absurd offer.

A third rep called me to explain that, for $750 I could get the car delivered by a third party carrier to close to my house. She could not guarantee a delivery window. She said the car could not be delivered to either R.I. nor to Mass, both states having Tesla centers.

Not one of the three reps from Tesla can explain the rationale behind these answers.

Question 1) Does anyone have an explanation why used Teslas cannot be delivered to RI nor Mass. Please, facts and no hunches appreciated.

Question 2) Having this kind of difficulty getting an $80,000 Tesla delivered when advertised as "tranported for $500," are these cars really worth the hassle? If this is the way Tesla deals with customers at point of sale, I'm very concerned needing help from Tesla will be a no-starter and a terribly negative experience. I am, in fact, on the verge of cancelling my order and dealing with the legal ramification thereafter. I spend my life dealing with unfair contracts and consumer rights. The Cadillac Lyriq looks quite appealing.

Thank you.

If you're in CT, you probably already know about their archaic dealer franchise laws that forbid direct sales from Tesla. Still, your delivery issue is the same as every new Tesla vehicle owner in CT, ME, NH, VT. The only realistic option to pick up your car is to get to NJ. ME, NH, VT are still waiting for Tesla to establish a physical presence, so it's NJ for us too. To pick up in MA, I also think RI, they'd charge you their individual state sales tax. So you could end up paying sales tax in two states. This is not an option Tesla wants to expose to out of state customers. You might try and negotiate with Tesla for a one-way rental car to NJ to pick up your new vehicle. I've heard this from others in the past, maybe worth a shot. Everyone recognizes the travel hassle, eventually Tesla will fill in the gaps. Good luck and enjoy!

im a CT resident, and wanted to pick up my model S in MA (RI didnt have a shop yet). i was told that i would be charged MA sales tax if i did, so they had me pick up in Mt. Kisco, NY. i wouldnt be charged tax there with the car being registered in CT. i guess RI and MA are the same in that sense.