Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Today with 8 Paint Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, I would have rejected it with that many overt flaws and asked for another MY or moved on. As excited as I am to have my MY, these aren't going to look good fixed simply with paint 'touch up' brushes. The bumper skin needs to be re-painted, so do the door jambs, which will need the metal deburred (shameful), prepped, painted and blended. I'm certainly less concerned with panel and door misalignments which are straightforward to fix, but the paint quality and lack of QA is really out of control now. Shame on Tesla. The world isn't desperate for theirs or any other manufacturer's cars right now. I do not have any money down on this point, so I understand it is harder for those who already put out cash. But if this is how I receive my delivery next week, I'm pretty sure I'm going to ask for another MY, and if they refuse, I guess I'll be moving on. I'm not willing to put out this much cash for such a sub-par product. I never, ever thought about this type of damage on new on cars ranging new from $16K through $75K I've owned in my life, and I've had well over 50 cars. I shouldn't need to spend an hour or more going through a crowdsourced checklist at delivery to find what should have been caught easily by QA, and waste my own and my family's time, especially when the SC is many miles away. No offense to the original poster, but I seriously hope my 59xx VIN recieved the "additional QA", or maybe that was all blowing smoke to make us feel better. OK, rant over, thanks for listening.

Hence my rant. After time to address factory/manufacturing issues during the shutdown, and a supposed additional post shutdown QA, this is amazingly disappointing. Helped a friend get a 2019 Jetta S (base model) with zero frills, but still a solid, respectable vehicle for $17K brand new, and it was flawless and rattle-free, and I'm obsessive about these kind of things. So my anxiety is high that I'm going to be handed a vehicle like this for over $55K that is bush league in terms of quality control.

So what have we learn here.. those hunting for the latest VIN # will not get you closer to perfection. As an owner myself with one of the first 200 Y's built, I too, to no surprise share the burden of cosmetic imperfection on mines. It has been at service for nearly two weeks to get issues addressed and Tesla has been great so far on the communication side of things.

Why am I sharing? For those whom are patiently waiting and VIN # chasing, expect these imperfections and don't be disappointed. We can argue back and forth that Tesla should be better at this and that... the truth is the truth. Quality control will be lacking to various degree on yours upon delivery.

Of course as a consumer, you have choices. Choices to accept and get them addressed, or reject it and someone else will gladly take your place.

This reminds me of the movie, Gung Ho starring Michael Keaton. It was made in 1986 and mimicked the Nummi situation with a Japanese car manufacturer coming to the US and trying to integrate and work with a US car manufacturer. Anyway, many of you are probably too young to have seen this, but the way they cranked out cars with known defects just to make the production numbers is what I feel like Tesla is doing real-world.

hahahah

I'm not super anxious to take delivery just to park 62k dollars of poor Q&A into my garage, so I think I'll sit on the Make Final Payment stage for a few more days. I'm not in need of another car today.

Of course as a consumer, you have choices. Choices to accept and get them addressed, or reject it and someone else will gladly take your place.

On my only rejected delivery the last time I tried to buy a Tesla, the sales manager bragged to me that they sold the car the next day in heavy snow to an unsuspecting buyer. It had a scratch on the trunk of the Model 3 clear to the metal. I would have been fine with that delivery, but they refused to document anything and flat out told me they would never fix it. He actually said that they used to care when they sold expensive cars, but couldn't be bothered with making customers happy with the Model 3 which was selling well at the time. I could have gone through with the purchase hoping that was bluster, but the arrogance is what really pissed me off.

On the gap issues only three were worth noting:
  • Right tail light not installed properly at delivery.
  • Right rear door misalignment.
  • Hood not aligned with bumper.

Various paint defects at delivery including:
  • Near front driver and passenger hinges on body
  • Around driver door striker plate
  • Front of R rear door & body beneath that
  • Trailing edge of R front door
  • Back of R and L rear tire well on bumper
  • Below L tail light on bumper.
This is my 8th Tesla delivery over the years. Inclusive of this delivery, 5 needed bodywork. This by far had the worst paint defects.

Anyone who thinks Tesla is figuring out their delivery fit and finish is just wrong.

View attachment 545768 View attachment 545769 View attachment 545770 View attachment 545771 View attachment 545772 View attachment 545773 View attachment 545774 View attachment 545775 View attachment 545776 View attachment 545777

Yet many people on TMC complaining that we are complaining. I am not complaining rather pointing out the flaws to watch out for.. Its a tough pill to swallow and it's our time that are wasted getting everything documented to get Tesla to repair. So far my Model Y PUP have 26 items documented, pending approval for body shop repairs. Today, Friday is my last day to return it or repair it. Its my second Tesla, love the car and so far they are promising everything will get fixed. We will wait and see.

Album of all my issues.
Model Y PUP Pearl White

Was the car made within last week? I think it was within last week that someone posted that they added an extra QC step?

I wonder if this kind of ****ed up finish is due to them hiring new people after factory re-open that have to all be trained, and these cars are their firsts so they are making a lot of **** ups until they get into the groove of it. The door bolt scratches look like someone really struggled to put it in (not like someone who has done thousands of cars).

Today, Friday is my last day to return it or repair it. Its my second Tesla, love the car and so far they are promising everything will get fixed. We will wait and see.

Album of all my issues.
Model Y PUP Pearl White

How are you documenting things after delivery? The service request allows only 5 photos to be taken. Who knows if the delivery person actually turned in the photos he took. When at the house for delivery, he claimed his internet didn't work.

Yours looks worse than mine with pathetic attempts to fix things with touch up paint. Are they promising a complete respray of the car?

On the gap issues only three were worth noting:
  • Right tail light not installed properly at delivery.
  • Right rear door misalignment.
  • Hood not aligned with bumper.

Various paint defects at delivery including:
  • Near front driver and passenger hinges on body
  • Around driver door striker plate
  • Front of R rear door & body beneath that
  • Trailing edge of R front door
  • Back of R and L rear tire well on bumper
  • Below L tail light on bumper.
This is my 8th Tesla delivery over the years. Inclusive of this delivery, 5 needed bodywork. This by far had the worst paint defects.

Anyone who thinks Tesla is figuring out their delivery fit and finish is just wrong.

View attachment 545768 View attachment 545769 View attachment 545770 View attachment 545771 View attachment 545772 View attachment 545773 View attachment 545774 View attachment 545775 View attachment 545776 View attachment 545777

I thought you were not going to buy another Tesla? What happened?

Just admit it - Tesla's are irresistible :)

• Funny
Reactions: beezy and navguy12
I thought you were not going to buy another Tesla? What happened?

Just admit it - Tesla's are irresistible :)

@FreshPrince, this is my wife's car as she wanted a SUV again having downgraded to a Model 3 from her Model X when the kids were not needing to be driven around anymore. I would have gotten her to wait, but I didn't think Tesla still had issues. Also, there were rumors that the paint booth was upgraded during the shutdown.

Personally, I am waiting for the VW ID.4 next year and slumming it in my Tesla Model 3 until then. If Tesla supported Apple Carplay or Android Auto, I might reconsider things. I just want the cheapest EV with AWD and support for open phone media options. Not a fanboi of Tesla, but it is the cheapest AWD EV right now.

Could you post edit the photos to put multiple in a single file, to get around the 5 photo limit? Is the limitation on the actual number of items being claimed or the files you can upload?

For a service request in the app, you can only attach 5 photos max. I guess I could put more images in each file. I listed the defects in the narrative so am hoping that will be enough. If they give me the run around on Wednesday morning, I will be turning the car back into them.

Reactions: navguy12
@FreshPrince, this is my wife's car as she wanted a SUV again having downgraded to a Model 3 from her Model X when the kids were not needing to be driven around anymore. I would have gotten her to wait, but I didn't think Tesla still had issues. Also, there were rumors that the paint booth was upgraded during the shutdown.

Personally, I am waiting for the VW ID.4 next year and slumming it in my Tesla Model 3 until then. If Tesla supported Apple Carplay or Android Auto, I might reconsider things. I just want the cheapest EV with AWD and support for open phone media options. Not a fanboi of Tesla, but it is the cheapest AWD EV right now.

Tesla needs to re-calibrate everything after the shutdown, especially if upgrades/changes. If you want a better finish - I would wait few weeks. Return the car and send Tesla a message - they apparently need it.

No way they would have missed this many issues. Without training, I found these issues in 5 min while distracted with paperwork and a chatty delivery guy.

Whomever made adjustments did not care to send it back for patch up. Given that more adjustments are needed - they not only left scratches but also were unable or unwilling to fix all the issues.

I wonder if perhaps adjustments and paint damage were done at Tesla Service Center.

Was the car made within last week? I think
How are you documenting things after delivery? The service request allows only 5 photos to be taken. Who knows if the delivery person actually turned in the photos he took. When at the house for delivery, he claimed his internet didn't work.

Yours looks worse than mine with pathetic attempts to fix things with touch up paint. Are they promising a complete respray of the car?
1. Contact the delivery center and get the operations manager.

2. Demand nicely all issues documented on due bill.

3. Submit all photos by 100 miles through email to that manager so you can trace back. They will verify if within 100 miles by your VIN. Then ask your delivery service center manager for it to be fixed by body shop and not touch ups. You have 7 days 100 miles to figure this out or return the car. Lookup all Tesla certified body shops, find one and kindly ask your delivery manager to steer it to that shop. In my case, I am in San Diego, reputable body shop is Amato's Auto Body. I will explain more below.

4. Then scheduled service. Add all photos. You can open multiple problems and submit 5 photos each. Have your delivery manager contact your service location to get the approvals started.

Note for any body shop repairs, it will require approval from delivery center, service manager and Tesla engineers (I know Amato's Auto Body that Tesla uses, which I have used in the past for my Lexus, therefore this process they provided to insure it gets approved by Tesla. It was explained to me 1 week process.) Documentation is key.

5. Service center advisor/manager will contact you for more documentation. 1 photo close up and 1 photo 3 feet way. As you can see why I have an album of so many photos. All these photos are going to engineering and uper management for approval. Submit via email each issue and photos.

6. Pending approval from Tesla for body shop repairs which is where I am at now. My car is sitting at home instead at the service center waiting approval. Service manager already has service scheduled a week out from today for drop off and straight to body shop. FYI my service was scheduled for today and rather not have the car just sit on their lot.

I can trust the body shop more than Tesla doing touch up. If they did not go out their way to help, I would be returning my car today, but they are going out of their way to make this right. Why can I trust the auto body. My Lexus was scratched, deep ones from car wash. Sent to body shop paid for by insurance (choose the best of the best found them on Yelp with hundreds of reviews which is Amato's Auto Body in San Diego). FYI I am not affiliated with Amato's, they just did a dang good job. And they are Tesla certified repair center. Lexus came out like the scratches never occurred and looks factory new.

Hopefully these steps help those struggling with Tesla to get repairs going. And if you want to guarantee body shop repairs, documentation is key, otherwise it will be a best effort touch up.

Last edited: