Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery tomorrow - Test Drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

My long 3 week wait(I am being sarcastic) to pick up my CPO is coming to an end tomorrow. Is it common to test drive the car before signing off on the final papers? Typically with a new car, I've never done that and this is the first time I have bought a CPO car sight unseen like this before. I never got pictures either. I am going in blind tomorrow.

Anything else I should be on the lookout for? I followed guidance from here, but it seems a little outdated: Tesla Model S Buyers', Delivery and Owners' Guide

Bring a friend. Be very thorough. Check all surfaces and features. Bring a flashlight to help look. I would ask for a test drive before signing but they might balk. I have no experience with it but there are many horror stories and many happy customers. I don't get the feeling that there is an in-between. Good luck!

...test drive...

Before your final payment, you can test drive another car that is specifically set up for that purpose.

If you want to test drive the car that you ordered, you have to pay the whole bill first and sign off all the contracts first.

It's just like a See's candy store, you can taste all you want from the counter that is specifically set up for that purpose but you just can't tear up a wrapping from a candy box on the shelf without paying it first.

What would a test drive change?

If you find a fault then they will fix it and give you a loaner while it's being repaired.

Look out for the cosmetic items and areas that may not be covered by the CPO warranty after you sign and walk away like scrapes/tears/etc.

What would a test drive change?

If you find a fault then they will fix it and give you a loaner while it's being repaired.

Look out for the cosmetic items and areas that may not be covered by the CPO warranty after you sign and walk away like scrapes/tears/etc.

It's a fair point. I've never test drove a new car before. I guess since this is my first time buying a CPO and it's more than double the price of any car I have bought before, I am being extra cautious.

Reactions: Falkirk

THIS. At pickup is the only chance you have for them to address these type items. I was able to get them to repair a misaligned door trim and buff some paint scratches on my due bill.

I did not test drive my CPO, but it could be useful since I got a loaner once that made way more noise than my car does (drive whine/wind noise). Luckily my car is great on the noise front, but if you get a noisy one, I would want that documented on the due bill for repair.

When I got my new Fusion, we went on a test drive before I "accepted" it. It gave the guy a chance to show changing the settings and such.

When you take a test drive with a conventional dealer, you did not make a deposit for that particular car.

You can also get a Tesla test drive WITHOUT a deposit for any car. Those test drive cars are set apart for that particular purpose and if you like it so much, you can also pay for it and take it home as a new inventory car too. Very much like conventional dealership process.

However, if you made a deposit. Your money is now associated with a particular car. You can go ahead and make a final payment or you can walk away and forfeit your deposit.

I think it makes no sense to prevent someone from test driving a car before they buy it. Its not a piece of candy with a wrapper. Its a god damn car. It doesn't melt when you try it or require paper to tear before you can access it.

If the test driver crashed it or whatever, fine, they'd pay for that. I'm sure Tesla's legion of attorneys can use the language from the test drive sign off no one looks at before they test drive and create a different contract that protects both parties.

I referenced the buyer's/delivery guide on delivery, but came across a few issues probably specific to CPO's:

Exterior areas that likely will have been refinished/painted are the front bumper and wheels (21's especially). Take a look at those, my wheels were dull from the refinishing process and polishing was added to my due bill. One thing I never saw mentioned was glass delamination, the edges of my front and rear windshields were separating (mid '13 build), due billed. Check trim and trim alignment, my passenger side roof applique (plastic strips on either side of the pano roof) doesn't sit flush with my pano roof, due billed. Also, some years were prone to hood creases, check for that near the frunk latch area.

Interior high wear items are the seat bolsters and corner pieces on the pillars next to the front bolsters.

If you do end up with a due bill, call the service center and verify they have the same doc on file, and to make your appointment. (I was promised all this and waited for a week to find out my local SC had no idea they were to contact me to address the delivery issues).

Good luck!

One reason to bring a friend (in addition to) your wife is that someone without a vested interest in the transaction might perceive issues differently. Also someone's gotta be there to take a picture of you and your wife as you beam over your new acquisition.

One reason to bring a friend (in addition to) your wife is that someone without a vested interest in the transaction might perceive issues differently. Also someone's gotta be there to take a picture of you and your wife as you beam over your new acquisition.

My wife is against the car and idea. I can think of no other better person to bring up it's faults LOL