Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery, trade, payment...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

talkingevs

GO AVS! 2022 CHAMPS!
Jan 28, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
So I got called last night stating my car is waiting for delivery at the service center. I told them id like to try a trade in to see how much I can get. I submitted the online info and photos last night. I'm going to CarMax today to compare as well.

1) how long until I get an offer from Tesla?
2) how quickly can delivery be after I accept their offer?
3) how quickly do they require payment?

Thanks

So another question now....the Isa stated she doesn't see a VIN assigned to me yet stated my car is at the service center. So does this mean I don't have a car?

Sometimes, it takes a day or two for the VIN to show up. Is your edit button gone when your Trade in section is listed as "Yes"?

1.) you should get a offer within 1-2 business days after you submit your inspection stuff on time.
2.) delivery can be as quick as a 1-2 weeks after ISA contact. (thats what they told me)
3.) payment isn't that quick, they will only allow you to pay just 2-3 days before the delivery date anyhow.

Tesla often sends out request for quotes from people that will bid on their trade ins. They uses this information to get a local market value for your trade in. It may take them a couple days to get responses from those people. This helps them give their highest possible trade in offer.

You can do the same thing yourself, by shopping your car around to local dealers or used car lots. Carmax is also easy to deal with.
You usually can get the most money for your car by selling it yourself through local and internet advertising. Lots of options.

As to #3 on your list... I picked up my car last week at the Fremont delivery center. Paid by electronic transfer (ACH) from my bank account at that time. I had informed my ISA as to how I was going to pay (no trade in, cash) and she said that would be fine. They had me log into my Tesla account and then provide the banking information. Simple.

Thanks for the replies and info guys. I really feel like this whole process could be done alot better by Tesla. But anyways, this is how it has worked out for me:

1-26-18: Reserved
6-27-18: Configured w/o EAP
7-6-18: Added EAP
7-10-18: Inside Delivery Adviser called and stated car is at delivery center for delivery...started trade process
7-11-18: Received VIN 39XXX
7-12-18: Cancelled trade in (funds were able to clear in our bank to allow purchase without) and received delivery date of 7-14-18

We shall see how the process goes from here. I plan on getting a cashiers check for the amount and bringing it with.....but I don't have the final amount yet and haven't seen any documents online to show this either. With delivery just two days away, should I expect problems? Also, that VIN of 39XXX seems a little low compared to others being delivered right now around 50XXX.....should I be worried that it was rejected because of an issue by another?

Thanks for the replies and info guys. I really feel like this whole process could be done alot better by Tesla. But anyways, this is how it has worked out for me:

1-26-18: Reserved
6-27-18: Configured w/o EAP
7-6-18: Added EAP
7-10-18: Inside Delivery Adviser called and stated car is at delivery center for delivery...started trade process
7-11-18: Received VIN 39XXX
7-12-18: Cancelled trade in (funds were able to clear in our bank to allow purchase without) and received delivery date of 7-14-18

We shall see how the process goes from here. I plan on getting a cashiers check for the amount and bringing it with.....but I don't have the final amount yet and haven't seen any documents online to show this either. With delivery just two days away, should I expect problems? Also, that VIN of 39XXX seems a little low compared to others being delivered right now around 50XXX.....should I be worried that it was rejected because of an issue by another?

VINs are not sequential ... do you know when the car was manufactured? Is there a way to tell?

By sticker, do you mean the Monroney one? With all the standard and optional features, along with the estimate fuel cost? Mine was on the driver side rear window and is now sitting in the trunk well. I don't have the car with me right now so I can't check to see if there is a manufacturing date on it.

If I remember correctly, the VIN sticker on the door jamb of my car had a "6/18" in the upper left (?) corner. That could make sense as my VIN is 444xx and seemed to be one of the highest during my delivery period.
So you config and ordered on 6/17, and the car was manufactured 6/18, and contacted 10 days later? Makes me think that my AWD is already out there somewhere sitting in the factory hahaha. But probably all bets are off with AWD.

I interpret 6/18 on my door sticker as June 2018, not June 18th. All dates in my .sig with the format of xx/xx are mm/dd/2018. When I ordered my car on the 17th, it was probably already sitting in the lot in Fremont. They just had to match up my configuration with what they had on hand.