Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dolfs

Supporting Member
Figured I'd give a more detailed update:

3/19/21 8:15 PM Ordered: MY LW AWD 5 Seats, Blue/Black, 20" wheels. Was told 3-8 wks on order page, which changed to 1-3 wks right after order completion.
3/20/21 10:00 AM VIN: 1579XX
3/20/21 3:00 PM Paid (no financing)
3/20/21 6:30 PM Delivery Appointment for Monday 9A-6P, arranged insurance (USAA) effective 3/21 which turned out to be lucky
3/21/21 10:00 AM Receive a call from Tesla Direct: "Car is ready, mind if we deliver today?", "No!", "OK, later this afternoon"
3/21/21 10:20 AM Electronically sign final documents
3/21/21 11:25 AM Receive a call from driver: "I'm your delivery driver, I'll be there in 20 minutes", "OK!"
3/21/21 11:53 AM Car parked in front, driver hops in an Uber 2 minutes later, receive email 2 minutes after that (security camera told me this).

VIN: 1579XX, car was born Friday 3/19/21 4:45:32PM

FYI: I live 17 mi from Fremont factory, which "helped" some of the above. SA told me East Coast folks generally have to wait at least three weeks, mostly due to transport.

New console, no new headlights, heated steering wheel, silver/black thumbwheels, no front license plate mounted (but frame in the car and temp paper plate on dash; I like it), 54% SOC, came with SW v10.2 (2020.47.104). This last bit seems a bit odd, and I haven't been offered in upgrade (advanced mode). I suspect something about my car is different enough that the SW is based on a "branch" that has not been merged with the very latest yet. For one, my battery/range indicator on the left top side of the screen is green, which I understand to be grey in newer versions.

No FSD, but auto pilot with auto steer (beta) and visualization of FSD objects (it shows traffic lights, stop signs, and such). Unlike the car that I test drove which had FSD beta, no "chime on red>green light transition". I actually think that one should belong with the visualization and outside the FSD package, but that's another story. Definitely waiting for the navigation with waypoints capability, which is promised, but who knows when?

I spent about an hour doing checklist, outside first without "Accepting delivery". Found no reason to not accept, so accepted and inspected inside as well. Found:
  • Superficial scratch on left front
  • Discoloration on black trim bottom driver's side window
  • Rocker panel under left rear passenger door sticks out a tiny bit, suspect loose clip because right side does not
  • Inspection of wheel wells showed 1-2 protruding blue screw without the "nut" on it (black plastic?)
  • Some dirt and white residue here and there that easily wiped off
  • Minor rear seat alignment problem
  • Rear vents seem to produce not enough air (never though of checking this during inspection/checklist, and discovered after setting up service appointment, so will mention it when I bring it in next week). Yes I did push the rear passenger "thingy" on the climate control (bottom right side).
Specifically, no panel gap issues whatsoever, inside linings and trim good and clean, lights aligned properly etc. Drover to a super charger (car came at 54%, ODO was something like 34 mi) to test charging. Worked fine.

Did some more driving and no rattle, no tailgate buffeting at any speed. Ride a little rough, but very similar to my (now replaced and for sale) 2008 BMW 535i, sport package. So at the moment I don't even see the need to reduce tire pressures, or get coiler-overs.

Took Fedex envelope from inside the car, signed registration papers, back in envelope, dropped at nearby Fedex center. Done.

So, all is good. Total elapsed time 40 hrs! While I had money pre-arranged, the rapid pace threw me for a loop a few times and changed personal plans!

Took the issues to the service center (2 mi away), got prompt service and inspection:
  1. They believe scratch can be buffed out without damage to clear coat (I tend to agree)
  2. They'll order new strip under driver's side window, and new rocker panel
  3. Wheel well screw will be addressed
  4. The rear seat alignment varies each time you put seat down and back up. Demonstrated that it mostly aligns properly. So no fix perse.
  5. Got an appointment for next week (when parts are in) for what should be a same day in-out appointment
  6. In and out in 34 minutes
So, overall quite pleased so far.

Left to do:
  • Apply HOV stickers for CA
  • Apply for CA refund (which should be another $2,000 for me)
  • Sell the beemer (in case anyone is interested: single owner, 47K mileage (which is very low), 2008 model with sport package, paddle shifters)
  • Install mud flaps
  • Install Weathertech rear mat (dog!): on its way
  • Install Quick Bandit: on its way
  • Store jack/lift pucks: on the way
  • Installed 12V DC air pump and tire fix kit. Contemplating a spare, but likely not
  • Get electrician quote for upgrade to 50A charging (hopefully)
  • Use up 1,000 referral supercharger miles as necessary (let me know if anybody wants a referral code
  • Enjoy

Figured I'd give a more detailed update:

3/19/21 8:15 PM Ordered: MY LW AWD 5 Seats, Blue/Black, 20" wheels. Was told 3-8 wks on order page, which changed to 1-3 wks right after order completion.
3/20/21 10:00 AM VIN: 1579XX
3/20/21 3:00 PM Paid (no financing)
3/20/21 6:30 PM Delivery Appointment for Monday 9A-6P, arranged insurance (USAA) effective 3/21 which turned out to be lucky
3/21/21 10:00 AM Receive a call from Tesla Direct: "Car is ready, mind if we deliver today?", "No!", "OK, later this afternoon"
3/21/21 10:20 AM Electronically sign final documents
3/21/21 11:25 AM Receive a call from driver: "I'm your delivery driver, I'll be there in 20 minutes", "OK!"
3/21/21 11:53 AM Car parked in front, driver hops in an Uber 2 minutes later, receive email 2 minutes after that (security camera told me this).

VIN: 1579XX, car was born Friday 3/19/21 4:45:32PM

FYI: I live 17 mi from Fremont factory, which "helped" some of the above. SA told me East Coast folks generally have to wait at least three weeks, mostly due to transport.

New console, no new headlights, heated steering wheel, silver/black thumbwheels, no front license plate mounted (but frame in the car and temp paper plate on dash; I like it), 54% SOC, came with SW v10.2 (2020.47.104). This last bit seems a bit odd, and I haven't been offered in upgrade (advanced mode). I suspect something about my car is different enough that the SW is based on a "branch" that has not been merged with the very latest yet. For one, my battery/range indicator on the left top side of the screen is green, which I understand to be grey in newer versions.

No FSD, but auto pilot with auto steer (beta) and visualization of FSD objects (it shows traffic lights, stop signs, and such). Unlike the car that I test drove which had FSD beta, no "chime on red>green light transition". I actually think that one should belong with the visualization and outside the FSD package, but that's another story. Definitely waiting for the navigation with waypoints capability, which is promised, but who knows when?

I spent about an hour doing checklist, outside first without "Accepting delivery". Found no reason to not accept, so accepted and inspected inside as well. Found:
  • Superficial scratch on left front
  • Discoloration on black trim bottom driver's side window
  • Rocker panel under left rear passenger door sticks out a tiny bit, suspect loose clip because right side does not
  • Inspection of wheel wells showed 1-2 protruding blue screw without the "nut" on it (black plastic?)
  • Some dirt and white residue here and there that easily wiped off
  • Minor rear seat alignment problem
  • Rear vents seem to produce not enough air (never though of checking this during inspection/checklist, and discovered after setting up service appointment, so will mention it when I bring it in next week). Yes I did push the rear passenger "thingy" on the climate control (bottom right side).
Specifically, no panel gap issues whatsoever, inside linings and trim good and clean, lights aligned properly etc. Drover to a super charger (car came at 54%, ODO was something like 34 mi) to test charging. Worked fine.

Did some more driving and no rattle, no tailgate buffeting at any speed. Ride a little rough, but very similar to my (now replaced and for sale) 2008 BMW 535i, sport package. So at the moment I don't even see the need to reduce tire pressures, or get coiler-overs.

Took Fedex envelope from inside the car, signed registration papers, back in envelope, dropped at nearby Fedex center. Done.

So, all is good. Total elapsed time 40 hrs! While I had money pre-arranged, the rapid pace threw me for a loop a few times and changed personal plans!

Took the issues to the service center (2 mi away), got prompt service and inspection:
  1. They believe scratch can be buffed out without damage to clear coat (I tend to agree)
  2. They'll order new strip under driver's side window, and new rocker panel
  3. Wheel well screw will be addressed
  4. The rear seat alignment varies each time you put seat down and back up. Demonstrated that it mostly aligns properly. So no fix perse.
  5. Got an appointment for next week (when parts are in) for what should be a same day in-out appointment
  6. In and out in 34 minutes
So, overall quite pleased so far.

Left to do:
  • Apply HOV stickers for CA
  • Apply for CA refund (which should be another $2,000 for me)
  • Sell the beemer (in case anyone is interested: single owner, 47K mileage (which is very low), 2008 model with sport package, paddle shifters)
  • Install mud flaps
  • Install Weathertech rear mat (dog!): on its way
  • Install Quick Bandit: on its way
  • Store jack/lift pucks: on the way
  • Installed 12V DC air pump and tire fix kit. Contemplating a spare, but likely not
  • Get electrician quote for upgrade to 50A charging (hopefully)
  • Use up 1,000 referral supercharger miles as necessary (let me know if anybody wants a referral code
  • Enjoy
Forgot to add: No driver side mirror adjustability problems

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
that was an awesome read! Congrats to you. Can you describe the rear vents issue you are experiencing? any pics? Cheers!
There's little to describe, and nothing to see (as far as I can tell). What happened is this:
  • Never thought of checking rear vent function during the checklist evaluation. This is not on the checklist I found.
  • Was driving later that night, wife in the back and she says "Its kinda warm here, I am not getting air. Can you switch on the rear" (she's referring to how it works in her Highlander :)
  • I check the Climate controls, find the little back passenger icon in the bottom right and tap it so it becomes blue (enabled)
  • No air, or at least noticeable. I had climate on AUTO and there was not much activity anyway
  • So I manually crank up the vent level. It had to at least at 8 before anything noticeable came out
I don't know what to expect, but that seemed excessive to get just a little air. In our other cars you can get a serious blast in the back if/when you crank things up.

Visual inspection does not reveal a blockage nor anything the looks (to me) out of the ordinary. So perhaps my expectations are wrong, or there is something wrong...

Reactions: Jemblue7my
There's little to describe, and nothing to see (as far as I can tell). What happened is this:
  • Never thought of checking rear vent function during the checklist evaluation. This is not on the checklist I found.
  • Was driving later that night, wife in the back and she says "Its kinda warm here, I am not getting air. Can you switch on the rear" (she's referring to how it works in her Highlander :)
  • I check the Climate controls, find the little back passenger icon in the bottom right and tap it so it becomes blue (enabled)
  • No air, or at least noticeable. I had climate on AUTO and there was not much activity anyway
  • So I manually crank up the vent level. It had to at least at 8 before anything noticeable came out
I don't know what to expect, but that seemed excessive to get just a little air. In our other cars you can get a serious blast in the back if/when you crank things up.

Visual inspection does not reveal a blockage nor anything the looks (to me) out of the ordinary. So perhaps my expectations are wrong, or there is something wrong...
I'd say go to the lot and check a few cars to see if its normal or not

care to share your checklist? waiting on taking delivery at my house tomorrow for my MY LR and would like to be pretty thorough with inspecting everything. Thanks

Reactions: trlengle and Noigle