Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery vs Pick-up

Jewel

Aug 22, 2020
Maine
So living in New England, my nearest Tesla center is in MA, who apparently wont give temporary plates...hence I can't pick up there. The alternative my advisor suggested is for them to rent me a car and drive 5.5 hrs to NJ, pick up the car and drive my Y home. Or, a less desirable option, according to him, is to have the Y delivered to my location.
Which is the better option?

Delivery--I assume its just a car hauler driver making the delivery, and any problems I have cant be fixed or even guaranteed to be fixed, other than by putting them in the app. Basically, unless super obvious problems, I would be accepting the car, so if I feel like quality necessitates, I would return it and then have the problem of the 7 day return, no option to get another unless I change something. I guess this is the same problem for most people that pick up--I just wish I could have a delivery advisor to go through it with me.
Pickup--Apart from the long trip, which could be enjoyable one way but not both, would cause me to exceed my 100 mile period. And what if I refuse the car on pickup? Then I have no way home!

Anyone have experience with this or advice one way or the other?

Aug 2, 2020
Spokane, WA
I am in the same boat. 5 hours or 280 miles one way to nearest delivery center (luckily a service center is 10 miles away). Keep switching back and forth. I want to be able to inspect before handing over money but I am nearing 6 weeks with no update and have been told I would only have a 3 day window to schedule pick-up (with only a couple days heads-up). Hard with my work schedule.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC