Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery vs Pickup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

I live close to the Fremont, CA factory. I am wondering what the pros and cons are to home delivery vs picking up the car in fremont. I asked my DA if picking up the car saves me the $1,000 "destination and documentation fee" she said that's a government mandated fee for all motor vehicles....any insight?

Additionally, how has everyone's experience been with their DA? Mines ignores me when delivery isn't imminent and then replies quickly when she wants her questions answered but never directly answers mines. Just seems like they're pushing the car off the the lot as fast as they can.

I asked my DA if picking up the car saves me the $1,000 "destination and documentation fee" she said that's a government mandated fee for all motor vehicles....any insight?

Your DA is either knowingly lying to you or is just ignorant. The government does not mandate that manufacturers charge "Destination and Documentation fees." A destination charge is standard practice in the auto industry as it allows manufacturers to just make up a number and charge it no matter how much it actually costs to ship the vehicle (Case in point: BMW charges the same destination charge for an X5 built in South Carolina as it does for a 5 series built in Germany).

Documentation fees are charged by dealers. They're typically non-negotiable and are just a way for a dealership to slap you with an extra couple hundred to a grand on top of the negotiated price of the car. There are costs involved in titling and registering a vehicle, but the dealership is going to pass any fees the government charges on to you, so the charge is just a way to make extra money. My local BMW dealership has raised their doc fee from $500 to $700 over the last two years. Their costs didn't go up, but their profits were slipping as BMW in general has had trouble with sales numbers. So they added a couple hundred of non-negotiable profit to each car.