TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Delivery vs Pickup

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Highway1, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Highway1

Highway1 New Member

Hello!

I live close to the Fremont, CA factory. I am wondering what the pros and cons are to home delivery vs picking up the car in fremont. I asked my DA if picking up the car saves me the $1,000 "destination and documentation fee" she said that's a government mandated fee for all motor vehicles....any insight?

Additionally, how has everyone's experience been with their DA? Mines ignores me when delivery isn't imminent and then replies quickly when she wants her questions answered but never directly answers mines. Just seems like they're pushing the car off the the lot as fast as they can.

2. RobbS

RobbS Member

I wish I had the link saved, but I was reading some info earlier on Tesla's site and the $1,200 delivery fee is pretty air-tight as being unavoidable.

3. kengchang

kengchang Member

You get charged for destination regardless the delivery method.

4. BimmerConvert

BimmerConvert Member

Your DA is either knowingly lying to you or is just ignorant. The government does not mandate that manufacturers charge "Destination and Documentation fees." A destination charge is standard practice in the auto industry as it allows manufacturers to just make up a number and charge it no matter how much it actually costs to ship the vehicle (Case in point: BMW charges the same destination charge for an X5 built in South Carolina as it does for a 5 series built in Germany).

Documentation fees are charged by dealers. They're typically non-negotiable and are just a way for a dealership to slap you with an extra couple hundred to a grand on top of the negotiated price of the car. There are costs involved in titling and registering a vehicle, but the dealership is going to pass any fees the government charges on to you, so the charge is just a way to make extra money. My local BMW dealership has raised their doc fee from $500 to $700 over the last two years. Their costs didn't go up, but their profits were slipping as BMW in general has had trouble with sales numbers. So they added a couple hundred of non-negotiable profit to each car.