Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery with wrap still on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why I ask is because I just had an interesting conversation with a detailer who will be doing my S when I get it. His suggestion is to speak with the sales and insist they DO NOT prep the vehicle. Just leave the protective wrap it is shipped with on the car. He had a MB and Volvo - both new in his shop and he showed where the dealer prep makes his job harder. Looking closely you can see swirls on the paint from the dealer prep. He has done several Tesla's and noted they are no better. I'm sure they are trying to do the right thing when delivering a new car but the detailer is not a professional in that field. He sometimes spends a day and a half (his words) correcting the job dealers have done. Whether it's removing chemicals, swirls or light scratches (I could not see them myself) I will be paying more.
Anyone pick up their car with the wrap still on?

No but I did a thorough walk through of my car. I checked the paint VERY carefully and had them fix or promise to fix in the due bill everything I found. Wouldn't having the wrap on prevent you from doing that? Once you drive it off the property it's your issue.

That's true. Had not thought of that. I may have to re-think this strategy :)
1)Leave wrap on until I pick-up, then take off.
2) Take wrap off but DO NOT prep exterior in any way
May go with option 2 , that way I can inspect the car at time of pick-up.
I will drive straight to detailer and be w/o "The Pope" for another couple days. That will be the killer on my patience :)

Last edited:
TM will not deliver an UN prepped vehicle unless you sign a written waiver releasing them of the liability in case you do not like the paint job/finish. I wanted to do this with my wife's S70D last year as my detailer does not like to have to re-polish the halos and other defects out caused by the delivery prep. YMMV.

Thank you for that. I have not called my DS yet since I am still at least a month away from delivery. This was why I started this post. I knew I could not be the only one to request this. I will ask about it anyway but having the wrap still on is probably not a good idea.

Thank you for that. I have not called my DS yet since I am still at least a month away from delivery. This was why I started this post. I knew I could not be the only one to request this. I will ask about it anyway but having the wrap still on is probably not a good idea.
Just so you know almost every detailed asks for that but I'm guessing it's seldom done.