Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery without USB-C ports and wireless phone charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm due to pick up my car on Wednesday and just got this ridiculous text from Tesla saying:

qte
Due to the global supply chain challenges impacting the industry, your Model 3 maybe delivered without the two usb-c ports and wireless charging functionality in the front of your vehicle. You will be able to charge your phone with the USBC ports in the back of your vehicle. Once available, we will invite you to a service appointment to retrofit the ports and activate the wireless phone charging functionality. The 10 minute appointment can be scheduled at your home address.
unqte

Now is it me or is this absolutely not on? Delivering a car that isn't completely built with half the functions missing? Other car manufacturers would never think about doing that. I'm not really happy about this.

Anyone who recently had a Q4 Delivery in UK/Ireland had any of these ports/wireless charging functions missing? I want to know whether to expect it or not.

• Disagree
Reactions: M109Rider
Hi,

I am receiving delivery today and also just got the SMS... Pretty disappointed, but having read multiple reports that it could happen, I am not too surprised.

I am hoping they can add the charging options soon... I suppose I can live without it for a while.

Reactions: Rylidi
I'm due to pick up my car on Wednesday and just got this ridiculous text from Tesla saying:

qte
Due to the global supply chain challenges impacting the industry, your Model 3 maybe delivered without the two usb-c ports and wireless charging functionality in the front of your vehicle. You will be able to charge your phone with the USBC ports in the back of your vehicle. Once available, we will invite you to a service appointment to retrofit the ports and activate the wireless phone charging functionality. The 10 minute appointment can be scheduled at your home address.
unqte

Now is it me or is this absolutely not on? Delivering a car that isn't completely built with half the functions missing? Other car manufacturers would never think about doing that. I'm not really happy about this.

Anyone who recently had a Q4 Delivery in UK/Ireland had any of these ports/wireless charging functions missing? I want to know whether to expect it or not.
It's not great but they have a valid reason for it. Would you reject the car based on this? I certainly wouldn't.

It's not great but they have a valid reason for it. Would you reject the car based on this? I certainly wouldn't.
The wife is ready to reject it. I think its a bloody joke to be honest. I just want to know if those receiving delivery recently have no usbc.

Also why have them in the back, but nothing in the front? I would rather they had them in the front.

Also couldn't care less about other car makers and what they are doing. If I bought a house, I wouldn't expect to arrive with the roof missing or a few of the windows.

The wife is ready to reject it. I think its a bloody joke to be honest. I just want to know if those receiving delivery recently have no usbc.

Also why have them in the back, but nothing in the front? I would rather they had them in the front.

Also couldn't care less about other car makers and what they are doing. If I bought a house, I wouldn't expect to arrive with the roof missing or a few of the windows.
I can understand your frustration ... but ... the evidence is all around that this is a problem that is beyond Tesla's control. Would you prefer your delivery delayed by 3 months? I know which I would choose. (People frequently have house purchasing problems where it's not finished and they end up having to rent or have a house sale fall through. By all means follow the advice of "the wife"...[shudder]).

I can understand your frustration ... but ... the evidence is all around that this is a problem that is beyond Tesla's control. Would you prefer your delivery delayed by 3 months? I know which I would choose. (People frequently have house purchasing problems where it's not finished and they end up having to rent or have a house sale fall through. By all means follow the advice of "the wife"...[shudder]).
Yeah obviously don't want to cancel, but I wouldn't be bothered with a delay. I'm tempted.

We all know what the customer service is like so I can imagine this not even happening without me having to constantly chase them.

I don't get it. We're in the middle of an extremely well-publicised global supply-chain crunch, and Tesla are giving you the choice to accept the car without a couple of USB ports, or to delay the whole car for months. The choice is yours!
yes I know. My problem is telling me this two days before pickup. Why wasn't this advised earlier. I'm sure there are plenty of people that don't know about global supply chain problem or even care about it.

The difference here is Tesla have promised to retrofit them when available, all the other manufacturers you are bang out of luck... it's two USB ports and a phone charger, it's not really key to the car's operation.

I took delivery last week and have the USB-C ports -whilst frustrating at least there's a clear path to them rectifying it.
Thanks for letting me know, is the phone charging working?

yes I know. My problem is telling me this two days before pickup. Why wasn't this advised earlier. I'm sure there are plenty of people that don't know about global supply chain problem or even care about it.
I would have thought the short notice is due to the way Tesla makes and allocates cars - CS won’t know which cars are missing the USB ports and wireless chargers until the cars have been allocated and checked over. Not ideal I agree but it is what it is I suppose. I’m expecting mine to be lacking these items as well….ho hum

Reactions: drdumont
I believe the text said "may" not have usb-c, so you may have it - you won't know until you pick it up.

It is strange that I have lowered my bar for acceptance of issues much more than I have for any other new car I have had in the past - i've been Teslafied
ha ha, that is my worry. I shouldn't have to accept this. If it was any other car, I'd say no, bugger off. Give me the car when its fixed.

Reactions: candida
If it was any other car, I'd say no, bugger off. Give me the car when its fixed.
Go on then.

Whilst it's frustrating, the issue is widespread and you do still have a choice. Accept the car or don't. Also, you might get lucky and have them.

There have been a few posts of US owners getting the missing parts retrofitted on their drive, so it is do-able and it is happening.

Hi,

I am receiving delivery today and also just got the SMS... Pretty disappointed, but having read multiple reports that it could happen, I am not too surprised.

I am hoping they can add the charging options soon... I suppose I can live without it for a while.
I *just* accepted delivery. First thing I checked was USB and wireless charging.

I am pleased to say, that both are working just fine 😁

So if you do get the SMS, there is a chance your car will have USB and charging