Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery without USB-C ports and wireless phone charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you and to Durzel who answered as well.

It appears that the Model Y is different from the Model 3 in reading formatted USB (or SSD) drives.

I actually was using a SSD and when it's partitioned and formatted in FAT32 and named TESLADRIVE with folder TeslaCam and the other partion named MUSIC, the Model Y will not recognise it.

If however you format it in exFAT and repeat the above procedure, the Model Y does recognise it, and I can now see my music and the dashcam is working, and the world is a happier place.

I don't know why it's like this as I thought exFAT and FAT32 were the same, I know the Model 3 recognises FAT32.
Well, I spoke too soon. When I went to drive the Y next, the dashcam icon had an X on it and on the 'car' screen, the dashcam area said 'no space'. However I could still play my music files from the 'MUSIC' partition. I get the impression that the Model Y doesn't like a multi partitioned USB drive.

I assume you're using the OEM Tesla USB stick? Might be worth checking its ok generally, or whether another USB drive (or USB SSD) works. I have heard people report the USB stick spontaneously failing, and I'm dubious about whether it's the right type of device for the job.

That being said it would be a surprise for it to have failed so quickly.

I assume you're using the OEM Tesla USB stick? Might be worth checking its ok generally, or whether another USB drive (or USB SSD) works. I have heard people report the USB stick spontaneously failing, and I'm dubious about whether it's the right type of device for the job.

That being said it would be a surprise for it to have failed so quickly.
No, I'm not using the Tesla USB stick, I'm using a 512 GB SSD with 2 equal size exFAT partitions, one for the dashcam and sentry, and the other partition for my music files.

exfat is not old standart. it was introduced in 2006.
fat32 was 1996.

maybe you mistaken exFAT with FAT?
No, I didn’t :)

I meant old in the context of Teslas, as in it’s not like either standard came out anywhere near the time of the first Tesla rolling off the production line, therefore no reason for Tesla to flip flop on support for either.

No, I didn’t :)

I meant old in the context of Teslas, as in it’s not like either standard came out anywhere near the time of the first Tesla rolling off the production line, therefore no reason for Tesla to flip flop on support for either.
well tesla did not flip flop AFAIK. it was always exFAT, no? there is nothing newer/better what is widely adopted anyway. unles ntfs :/