Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery without USB-C ports and wireless phone charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of good information here, but perhaps somebody who's already had a service visit can confirm part numbers.
I reported the absence of data on my USB-C ports and have a scheduled service visit where they are going to install the
HUB(1656787-30-A). Will this solve the data issue or do I need to request the 1755200-00-B hub? I already can charge with the installed ports so I don't need them to replace the hub if it isn't going to fix the issue.

Lots of good information here, but perhaps somebody who's already had a service visit can confirm part numbers.
I reported the absence of data on my USB-C ports and have a scheduled service visit where they are going to install the
HUB(1656787-30-A). Will this solve the data issue or do I need to request the 1755200-00-B hub? I already can charge with the installed ports so I don't need them to replace the hub if it isn't going to fix the issue.
I don't think it's going to fix it. That's just the part you presumably already have, I think.

I don't think there's currently any way to get data on cars that Tesla have decided don't get data, until/unless Tesla change their policies.

I don't know what you mean by the "older inactive ones". AFAIK all Model 3's before November 2021 supported data on the console ports - indeed, the pre-refresh cars had no port in the glovebox so these were the only ports you could use for data.

It appears that some cars are earmarked to get the data-enabled retrofit, and some cars are earmarked to get the charging-only retrofit - although it's all a bit murky.

Glovebox port is intended for the sentry system although you can if you find convenient constantly plug things in there and later replace with the Sentry hard disk dongle. We are not talking about the glovebox here as all vehicles even those missing the 2 usb-c ports in centre console are coming with the glovebox port. My message above addressed only the usb-c ports in the centre console. 2021 Refresh models previously came with 2 data-enabled active usb-c ports, due to shortage, Tesla has not only shipped thousands of vehicles with this port missing for retrofit at a later time BUT has also officially announced quietly and deceitfully (only mentioning in the new user manual released with these cars) that it shall hereon forward only supply the older inactive usb-c ports which are not data-enabled which it used to supply prior to the refresh models.

This is the Active Data-enabled HUB that was shipped on 2021 refresh models up to the point the Shortage occurred:
ASY, USB HUB, GEN31755200-00-B

This is the inActive (not Data-enabled) HUB that is being retrofitted on vehicles that were shipped after the Shortage occurred and the user manual for these vehicles states that this is the version which is installed hence Tesla refuses to install the above version. Basically, Tesla is now installing the below which was installed on the pre refresh models which is not Data-enabled and can only be used for charging albeit strangely this version of the Hub has another problem too as it fails to even recognise some brands of charge cables and you will be forced to charge using a USB-C port from the rear of the vehicle:
ASY, USB HUB1656787-30-A

You can still purchase the Data-enabled version from Parts (at a nominal cost) while supplies last and install it your self BUT your vehicle internal configuration setup must be reconfigured by a Tesla Technician with access to the Tesla portal. After reconfiguration, you should ask the Tesla engineer to resend the latest version of the firmware to the vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel

It wont fix the issue by simply installing the Data-enabled Hub 1656787-30-A. As previously mentioned the vehicle must be reconfigured so it knows that this Hub has been installed.

• Disagree
Reactions: davidew98
Maybe the missing games and missing usb c ports are just a coincidence.
Not a coincidence, unless (1) the Data-enabled active Hub is installed, (2) the vehicle is reconfigured by a TEsla Technician to recognise this change in hardware and (3) the OTA firmware is resent to the vehicle, the vehicle continues to think that the none Data-enabled ports are installed hence the intelligent OTA firmware install does not install the relevant apps (name the games) that make use of the Data-enabled ports. Tesla discounts the fact that some are crazy enough to connect to the Data-enabled port in the glove compartment

• Disagree
So here's the difference between the two parts:

View attachment 755259

The German forums have a huge thread on this, from reading that it seems that all of the cables are actually present in the car (including that required for data) - its the hub as shown above that is the only different part. It seems however that the parts are ordered per your VIN number, and the 'big Tesla computer in the sky' decides what your car should have as part of the retrofit.

It also looks like someone has tried getting hold of a data-capable version - and sure enough plugging in a USB stick then works. What they don't get however is Sonic, Cuphead and the other game that requires a USB controller. I'm guessing thats because Tesla have 'decided' that you're only getting power and not data, and so won't release it to your car's VIN.
unless (1) the Data-enabled active Hub is installed, (2) the vehicle is reconfigured by a Tesla Technician to recognise this change in hardware and (3) the OTA firmware is resent to the vehicle, the vehicle continues to think (due to configuration set at factory) that the none Data-enabled ports are installed hence the intelligent OTA firmware update installs do not install the relevant apps (namely the games or any other apps) that make use of the Data-enabled ports. Tesla discounts the fact that some are crazy enough to connect to the Data-enabled port in the glove compartment

• Disagree
unless (1) the Data-enabled active Hub is installed, (2) the vehicle is reconfigured by a Tesla Technician to recognise this change in hardware and (3) the OTA firmware is resent to the vehicle, the vehicle continues to think (due to configuration set at factory) that the none Data-enabled ports are installed hence the intelligent OTA firmware update installs do not install the relevant apps (namely the games or any other apps) that make use of the Data-enabled ports. Tesla discounts the fact that some are crazy enough to connect to the Data-enabled port in the glove compartment

Absolutely right.

So I've had the mobile engineer visit this morning and he's installed the 'power only' hub.... :( I'm going to push Tesla as much as possible for them to replace the hub with the data-enabled version and reconfigure my car for it.

Urm no. I've got 2 data enabled USB-A ports and so has every one else with USB-A equipped cars. I think you ae confusing the 2 USB A power+data ports in the front of the console with the two additional power only USB-A ports in the rear of the console.
Let’s not forget the one USB-A and one USB-C in the front owners. Both data too I believe.

Urm no. I've got 2 data enabled USB-A ports and so has every one else with USB-A equipped cars. I think you ae confusing the 2 USB A power+data ports in the front of the console with the two additional power only USB-A ports in the rear of the console.
No. different versions of the vehicle, you have a pre-refresh model which has USB-A port in centre console, this forum and the subject doesn't effect or relate to your vehicle

Last edited:
No. different versions of the vehicle, you have a pre-refresh model which has USB-A port in centre console, this forum and the subject doesn't effect or relate to your vehicle
@CL65 You're the one who brought up the pre-refresh vehicles in the first place though! You claimed that the hubs being fitted are the old ones as used on the pre-refresh vehicles (which sounds wrong to me).

Reactions: MrT3
So I asked Tesla customer services about changing the power-only hub to the data-enabled hub. I received a very disappointing response:

Thank you for your email. We are pleased that you are happy with the service you received from our mobile technician and that you now have the USB ports fitted.

We have taken the time to enquire further into this issue for you.

Due to ongoing supply shortages and that a very small percentage of customers were using the data functionality, Tesla have chosen to provide power only USB’s to expedite the install.

However, the USB port in the glovebox does carry data which is used for the camera. You could if you chose purchase a 3rd party hub, install that into the USB in the glovebox then use that for your data carrying device.

In addition, games that are only compatible with a controller have been disabled whilst Tesla work on implementing wireless controller support.

Unfortunately, we are unable to retrofit the USB ports to data carrying ports for you as this is outside of Tesla policy.

We hope this answers your questions.

Thats some terrible advice re: the USB hub in the glovebox considering people have experienced problems with the car as a result. I've gone back asking for details on their official complaints process.

"very small percentage of customers were using the data functionality".. it's passenger side lumbar support all over again. They're basically going to say that about everything they remove now, aren't they.

Agree with the above about the USB-A port in the glovebox being ill equipped for a USB hub. It is a USB-A port, for one, so max 5V/2A. As has been said there are reports of people plugging in USB hubs and getting screen crashes and issues with Autopilot. That's before you consider how ridiculous it is that you'd have to have the glovebox open to plug in game controllers or whatever else.

Incidentally - pre-refresh had either 2 x USB-A ports or 1 x USB-A and 1 x USB-C, depending on when it was made. In both cases those ports had data, the only ones that didn't were the ones at the back (they never have). That said, we don't have a glovebox USB either.

Furthermore the hubs fitted to pre-refresh cars are most definitely not the same as the current ones. I bought one of the USB-A & USB-C hubs to retrofit my 2 x USB-A car to the late 2020 spec. In both cases these hubs have blanking pieces to fill the rectangular hole in the console. The post-refresh Console 2.0 cars don't have these rectangular holes.

Reactions: DM206433
Basically, due to global shortage, Tesla have now downgraded the Intelligent/Active USB Hub on the 2021 refresh models to the version installed in the older/initial vintage Model 3's technology introduced in 2019.

On pre-refresh models was a single USB-A Data-enabled port

So which older/vintage/pre-refresh 2019 models are you talking about then that isn't our 2019 car with multiple USB-A data ports?

Reactions: Adopado and MrT3
I’m shocked Tesla is removing the USB data functionality, that’s something I was definitely planning on using as I still have all my music purchases in high quality on a USB stick. I also record DJ mixes and was looking forward to listening to them in the car without messing with the glovebox dashcam stick.

If my car arrives without data USB ports I will not accept the car, it’s a deal breaker to me unfortunately.

Can the rear USB ports be used to plug in a USB stick to play music from?

I’m shocked Tesla is removing the USB data functionality, that’s something I was definitely planning on using as I still have all my music purchases in high quality on a USB stick. I also record DJ mixes and was looking forward to listening to them in the car without messing with the glovebox dashcam stick.

If my car arrives without data USB ports I will not accept the car, it’s a deal breaker to me unfortunately.

Can the rear USB ports be used to plug in a USB stick to play music from?
The rear ports are power only. They also seem fussy about cables as well as a previously working USB C cable wasn't recognised

So I asked Tesla customer services about changing the power-only hub to the data-enabled hub. I received a very disappointing response:

Thats some terrible advice re: the USB hub in the glovebox considering people have experienced problems with the car as a result. I've gone back asking for details on their official complaints process.
That's a shame. I guess I got lucky with my retro fit!