Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery without USB-C ports and wireless phone charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seriously a better idea to ask nicely haha 😆
Always start on a good note..... I know its annoying, even to me and in just over one year ive never plugged my phone in wired but do fantasise about a game pad... Not pulling sides here but there is a chip shortage and other makes are doing worst things... bottom line is we've got nicer problems to have but I suppose there is no harm in asking.

For me it’s the principle of it more than the functionality lost. They’ve done it once before with the passenger lumbar support which was removed without notice, and now the data functionality of the retrofitted USB hub. We need to start pushing for Tesla to do the right thing in my opinion.

In any case, I’ve gotten nowhere with their customer services who have sent me a number of very dismissive responses. It’s quite clear they have absolutely no intention of helping or actually doing the right thing. So we’ll see what we can do from here.

So I asked Tesla customer services about changing the power-only hub to the data-enabled hub. I received a very disappointing response:

Thats some terrible advice re: the USB hub in the glovebox considering people have experienced problems with the car as a result. I've gone back asking for details on their official complaints process.
The problem is that the Owner's manual clearly states that a hub should not be used in the USB-A glove box port. We now have 6+ charging stations and 1 data port in our super computer car! (2022 Model Y LR)

Reactions: Durzel
There is a silver lining, the suggestion Tesla will officially support wireless controllers soon. I wonder which they will officially support though.

As for sharing of usb music. Tesla could move to wireless for this too, have an in car wifi hotspot and support connecting to samba/network file shares. The official Tesla App could even help enable this itself, sharing files stored on the phone. I do mean via WiFi and not Bluetooth, so no loss of audio quality.

The same functionality, no loss of quality but with the advantage of no cables to worry about. It's all possible.

Even sentry mode could be cloud based for the files, if Tesla wanted to.

There is a silver lining, the suggestion Tesla will officially support wireless controllers soon. I wonder which they will officially support though.

As for sharing of usb music. Tesla could move to wireless for this too, have an in car wifi hotspot and support connecting to samba/network file shares. The official Tesla App could even help enable this itself, sharing files stored on the phone. I do mean via WiFi and not Bluetooth, so no loss of audio quality.

The same functionality, no loss of quality but with the advantage of no cables to worry about. It's all possible.

Even sentry mode could be cloud based for the files, if Tesla wanted to.
And if any of that was available now, I’d say removing the data capability of the USB ports would be fine. But as it is, none of it is available and there’s no timeframe. I’d be surprised if we see wireless controller support this year.

Reactions: Durzel
And if any of that was available now, I’d say removing the data capability of the USB ports would be fine. But as it is, none of it is available and there’s no timeframe. I’d be surprised if we see wireless controller support this year.

Unfortunately that just isn't the Tesla way and never has been, it's what we have purchased into.

It's very common on mobile phones, televisions, etc. to ship the hardware before the software is feature complete. It's how tech companies operate.

I'm absolutely not supporting their approach, I'm simply helping others realise what they are getting into.

I do actually think the wireless controller support will arrive in the next few months. The problem Tesla have, they work on these things and suddenly their engineering teams are put onto solving other issues in software - like the heat pump.

I'd happily swap my May 2021 M3 LR with a full set of USB data ports for an equivalent M3P without the ports.. I don't use them!!
You are simply and truly too generous to offer swap of your LR with a Performance that costs GBP 8,000 more in return for a GBP 30 Data-enabled USB Hub. Also there are 101 applications of the Data-enabled USB Hub which are out there and soon to be released which the Hub without the capability will not be handicapped from handling not to mention that the none Data-enabled Hubs they are installing today have issues with some brand of charge cables and will not even charge.

Wireless joypads shouldn't be a huge addition.. they already have bluetooth pairing for phones so it's just another class of device to add (probably already built into the bluetooth library they're using), and maybe a couple of extra buttons on the bluetooth screen to initiate pairing.

I'll be shocked if that support isn't rolled out within the next few months.

You are simply and truly too generous to offer swap of your LR with a Performance that costs GBP 8,000 more in return for a GBP 30 Data-enabled USB Hub. Also there are 101 applications of the Data-enabled USB Hub which are out there and soon to be released which the Hub without the capability will not be handicapped from handling not to mention that the none Data-enabled Hubs they are installing today have issues with some brand of charge cables and will not even charge.
My offer was rather "tongue in cheek".
Tesla's customer service is worse than that offered by Morgan Motor Company.

Now is it me or is this absolutely not on? Delivering a car that isn't completely built with half the functions missing? Other car manufacturers would never think about doing that. I'm not really happy about this.
You will find other car makers in a similar mess .. this is global supply issues thanks to Covid. You can choose to not accept the care and wait, but no-one knows for how long.