Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery without USB-C ports and wireless phone charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ha ha, that is my worry. I shouldn't have to accept this. If it was any other car, I'd say no, bugger off. Give me the car when its fixed.
If it was me it would piss me off every time I got in the car.
And if it hasn't got the front USBs, I assume you have no Sentry mode/dashcam?
If you'd wait for any other car, why not wait for a fully built Tesla? They'll still be around in 6 months time.

I'd offer you mine, but
i. it's probably against the rules and
ii. it's USB-A

If you'd wait for any other car, why not wait for a fully built Tesla? They'll still be around in 6 months time.

I'd offer you mine, but
ii. it's USB-A

Tesla have this weird effect on people that they are willing to overlook stuff like this. Its not acceptable but it always descends into a discussion about how other manufacturers this and other manufactures that. Best put the fingers in the ears and let people convince themselves

If you can reject delivery do but its a long auld wait for the next ship loads. I'll be incredibly pissed if I get there on Monday to find this missing on my car but I wont be rejecting it based on it but they better believe they will be driving 2 hours to my house and not the other way round to retrofit it

I'd offer you mine, but
ii. it's USB-A
I guess nothing is guaranteed for next delivery even if I did reject the car....

Also isn't the USB stick in the glove box for the new cars? Just wondering if that will still be in there, I'll be majorly cheesed of if that isn't working too.

I can understand your frustration but rejecting the car for this would be a bit like cutting your nose off to spite your face IMO.
Agree especially when other manufacturers have the brass neck to offer you the 'Pro Media' or the 'Tech Pack' with only half the components that were in the 2019/2020 models -- but the pack price still remains the same.

BMW were offering the tech pack with no wireless carplay, no touch screen, no qi charging - no option to retrofit!! (Unlike Tesla are promising to do here).

The comms are terrible around this - a SMS isnt' good enough they should be calling affected customers.

Yeah obviously don't want to cancel, but I wouldn't be bothered with a delay. I'm tempted.

We all know what the customer service is like so I can imagine this not even happening without me having to constantly chase them.
If you're not bothered with a delay, then just delay or cancel until they're available.

it's pretty ridiculous hyperbole to equate it to moving into a house with a roof missing, or saying it has "half the functions missing", though. It's just missing a USB hub that sits in the centre console, a part that - once back in stock - will take mobile service about 20 minutes to fit.

The comms are terrible around this - a SMS isnt' good enough they should be calling affected customers.
Tesla comms are poor full stop. they have shot themselves in the corporate foot so many times you could put together a thesis on how not to engage with customers properly. Trouble is the cars still represent the best all round package out there by a mile - IMO.

Yup, comms are terrible, but the cars sell hand over fist. Doesn't excuse the communication, but it is what it is.

It seems Tesla (service centres) don't even know which cars have the hub fitted and which don't. A bit like when cars turned up without passenger lumbar support - which later became the way things are (I think?). It's basically pot luck.. some people will be lucky, others won't. Ultimately though everyone will be made whole, and with mobile service it's not like it's even that inconvenient really.

Tesla comms are poor full stop. they have shot themselves in the corporate foot so many times you could put together a thesis on how not to engage with customers properly. Trouble is the cars still represent the best all round package out there by a mile - IMO.

I suppose the reality is that their business has not suffered ... in fact it has continued to grow at an unprecedented rate, so it's hard to describe that as shooting themselves in the foot. At times customers have indeed not been engaged with properly but (so far) Tesla has not had to pay any price for that deficiency. Presumably if/when there is a cost they will modify their approach.

Reactions: Durzel
. At times customers have indeed not been engaged with properly but (so far) Tesla has not had to pay any price for that deficiency. Presumably if/when there is a cost they will modify their approach.
They've paid a price they could have completely avoided with the #BatteryGate & #ChargeGate mess. A class action suit, which they lost, and disaffecting many of their most loyal and early adopter customers. All could have been avoided by engaging with the customer base instead of total silence.

They also made a mess of what should have a been a huge PR win when they offered free uncorking to the 75's that were eligible - only to miss most of them off the list :rolleyes:.

You're right though, their business hasn't suffered and I can't see anything knocking them off track. Thenumber of Model 3's I'm seeing now is crazy

This case is an excellent reminder of how everyone is different. For someone a USB port worth £50 is literally worth cancelling an order for a £50,000 car. USB ports that I have never used once to charge my phone in two years that I've owned my M3 (I use one of them for sentry, but on new cars that's in the glovebox, so not even an issue in this case).

Not to mention it will cost Tesla significant money to retrofit these on people's driveways, so I think Tesla are absolutely doing the right thing (which is giving people the choice).

To be fair being told about it 2 days before collection is not really on. Tesla ought to know which cars are coming over without hubs, since people get VINs in advance of delivery.

But, yeah, I'm struggling to get worked up about it to be honest. I charge my phone most of the time when I use the car but I wouldn't lose sleep over not being able to. It's not as if - like BMW and others - people are being expected to accept a downgraded car "as is" with no retrofit possible.

Reactions: Leejmoff
If the car doesn't come with the front usb's, you can always get one of those adapters that go into the 12v socket under the armrest.

Do feel free to vent your disgust and frustration but as mentioned things aren't any better (if not worst) for other manufacturers and as also mentioned these are not giving the option to retrofit later. That said, if you reject it, someone else will just snap it up and not thank you for it. Think carefully...

I agree with the general consensus here. My alternative to the M3 was an AMG A45 as a last hurrah to ICE powered cars... until they told me it would likely take a year to arrive and would be missing tech. The M3 with a couple of month wait and now possibly missing USBs (that will be fitted later) seems pretty reasonable.

Reactions: rotor2k
To be fair being told about it 2 days before collection is not really on. Tesla ought to know which cars are coming over without hubs, since people get VINs in advance of delivery.

But, yeah, I'm struggling to get worked up about it to be honest. I charge my phone most of the time when I use the car but I wouldn't lose sleep over not being able to. It's not as if - like BMW and others - people are being expected to accept a downgraded car "as is" with no retrofit possible.
I'm pretty impressed people are being told before going to collect. What exactly would be the reason that more notice would help?

On a positive, mobile service is really good and very easy. Can be at your place of work, or home or anywhere, you don't even need to go outside to meet them. It is just a 10 minute job and all communication is via the app.

It may even end up being better, since Tesla tweak parts all the time.

Reactions: Durzel and Doudeau