Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery without USB-C ports and wireless phone charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d like to see what’s put in place as an interim. Would be interesting to see what the filler panels look like. Hope they don’t damage the cars when retrofitting !!!
LaP8WL_CMbYKZvT8BA4V_IiB-qg18Zl5eRB8JLgn8Zc.jpg

This is the panel inside the centre console.

The US were notified of this issue around 12 November, thought was it was only impacting Freemont but seems the shortage may now have extended to Shanghai too.

This shows the missing part and the work involved with the retrofit. US owners first reported retrofits being available less than 10 days after the initial alert

Reactions: LUXY
Plug one of these into the socket under your arm rest ... then breath evenly for a few moments and think nice thoughts ....

It’s not so long ago that there was a shortage of charger leads. Mine came without one.
arrived by courier a week after delivery.
having a home charger and only used superchargers, the cable has never been used.

Reactions: Durzel
The problem as I see it is not why the usb / chargers are missing it’s how long it will take Tesla to get hold of the parts and work though 1000s of cars. Considering the semi conductor issues will continue well into 2022 I have no confidence that Tesla will fixed the impacted cars. I challenge anyone on this forum to not get passed offer if the functionality is still missing in 6 months. Also this is a slippery slope - on my X5 order earlier this year, parts were being stripped on a weekly basis - air suspension, HK, wireless charging & lumber support.

The problem as I see it is not why the usb / chargers are missing it’s how long it will take Tesla to get hold of the parts and work though 1000s of cars. Considering the semi conductor issues will continue well into 2022 I have no confidence that Tesla will fixed the impacted cars. I challenge anyone on this forum to not get passed offer if the functionality is still missing in 6 months. Also this is a slippery slope - on my X5 order earlier this year, parts were being stripped on a weekly basis - air suspension, HK, wireless charging & lumber support.
People in the US were getting the retrofit within two weeks. Nothing to suggest there will be a long wait.

I don’t believe there has even been a confirmed case of missing USB ports on a UK delivery yet, so not sure 1000s of car will be affected.

It’s not so long ago that there was a shortage of charger leads. Mine came without one.
arrived by courier a week after delivery.
having a home charger and only used superchargers, the cable has never been used.
Yup, mine came without Type-2 and I had to wait at least 2 months from memory to get one. Much more serious (no public fast charging) and yet somehow the world kept turning.

Reactions: pow216
But the parts either exist or they don’t. If it really is that big of a deal people can cancel, and get something else with whatever is missing on that.

It’s not like Tesla (or any other company) are doing this out of spite or laziness or something.

Whilst you’re right the longer it drags on the more irritating it would be not to have those ports/wireless charging, if you need a car to get from A to B then you’ll have one. Either way it’ll get sorted.

Got the text after I picked mine up yesterday. All the ports were present either way.

The way the text was written implies that the delivery teams don’t actually know which VINs are impacted and they will deal with it once reported.

These cars were built over a month ago, it could well be the case that service has stock now and will retrofit quickly. The alternative is that it could take longer, who really knows at this point.

To be fair being told about it 2 days before collection is not really on. Tesla ought to know which cars are coming over without hubs, since people get VINs in advance of delivery.

But, yeah, I'm struggling to get worked up about it to be honest. I charge my phone most of the time when I use the car but I wouldn't lose sleep over not being able to. It's not as if - like BMW and others - people are being expected to accept a downgraded car "as is" with no retrofit possible.
This is my main gripe about it all. I grew in a time when if I bought something, it should work from the get go, not expect to buy something full price with some bits missing. Especially on a £40k car. Yes, some people are different and that's ok, people think I'm going overboard, which I am a little, but its the point.

Telling customers two days before pickup isn't on. They still don't even know if the car has them or not, I mean WTF??

This isn't a £50 haridryer, its an expensive car, they should at least know which cars do and don't have them and when they come off the line, tell the customer when they are allocated it.

It's wrong and people should be moaning about it. Whether they retrofit them or not. It's just wrong.

Anyway I'm glad to hear lots of people are accepting delivery with them in, that is some good news. Fingers crossed for mine tomorrow.

yeah I don't think you are getting my point here.

I am. Welcome to the Tesla way. You didn't get my point.

Basically, their attitude is very often "if you don't like it, go else where [we know you won't though]". Communications is often atrocious - non existent, wrong, late, conflicting, arrogant. Its not right, but it is what it is. Your communication experience is not unexpected and something to expect in the future. My point was think how you will feel about it when something even more important needs to be communicated in the future.

I am. Welcome to the Tesla way. You didn't get my point.

Basically, their attitude is very often "if you don't like it, go else where [we know you won't though]". Communications is often atrocious - non existent, wrong, late, conflicting, arrogant. Its not right, but it is what it is. Your communication experience is not unexpected and something to expect in the future.
ok thanks. I have read that, I just think its a bit strange they don't know what is going into each car. I guess that's how they got their name for poor quality control.

ok thanks. I have read that, I just think its a bit strange they don't know what is going into each car. I guess that's how they got their name for poor quality control.
To be frank I will be pissed off if they are missing - but that’s me and I want things right first time as they should and not have the inconvenience of doing a 40 mile round trip to get this sorted. As a perfectionist maybe Tesla isn’t for me. Playing devils advocate - BMW were equally as arrogant when they started stripping desirable items from my X5 order earlier this year and then suggesting that the HK sound system is worth £300 so will reduce the price of the car by this amount. More stuff kept on being taken off so I cancelled. So in reality a couple of missing USBs - small cheese compared with what BMW were doing and are still doing To their customers. I didn’t end up getting a X5 in stock with all the spec that it should have.

Reactions: Leejmoff
Just got the text and for a man that's been walking that fine line between pulling the plug and holding onto what he's got for weeks, no months, I'm really not sure how I feel about this, at all.

I do see some different sides to this;
Its good that they are letting us know, even if it is just 2 days before I'm due to collect. I also understand that there are manufacturers out there that are unable to deliver cars on time or at all or are doing so with missing functionality as a result of this "global chip shortage", but I wonder what else is maybe missing or what other corners have been cut as a result of this. The usb ports and wireless charging are things that we can see but there may be other missing hardware, perhaps being compensated by software that we are not being made aware of.

Anyway, I think when my collection time comes on Thursday, I'm going to try my best to inspect the car prior to handing over current car documents, keys etc, so that worst case I'll be able to charge my phone on the way home 🤣