Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery without USB-C ports and wireless phone charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just noticed that the in-car version of the user manual seems to say that in some cars manufactured after 1 November 2021, the front USB ports don't support data, only charging. This would mean there is only one USB data port in the entire car (in the glovebox) which is a bit of a downer if you want to play music from USB sticks, given you'll normally have your sentry/dashcam USB stick in there. Yes, there are workarounds - music and sentry/dashcam on the same stick - or stick a USB hub in the glovebox - but it would be slightly annoying to have to do that.

Anyone who's already had them retrofitted able to confirm whether they work for data?

Hey, just checking to see if they arrived and added the missing ports?
Also what area are you around as it seems up north they have the parts in stock and down south not so much
Unfortunately the call updated to "fixed remotely" and after chasing them I got the standard message that they would notify me when parts were available, no mention of when.
I live in Derbyshire so maybe waiting for parts everywhere. I would like the ports to work but happy to wait, just glad we have the car at Christmas.

Another forum member said theirs was being retrofitted at the milton Keynes SC - when I called the re my booking next week they said I would need to wait to be contacted probably in February.
Mine was in at MK and they initially said they’d retrofit but then on collection let me know they didn’t have the parts and would be in touch in the new year

I'm due to pick up my car on Wednesday and just got this ridiculous text from Tesla saying:

qte
Due to the global supply chain challenges impacting the industry, your Model 3 maybe delivered without the two usb-c ports and wireless charging functionality in the front of your vehicle. You will be able to charge your phone with the USBC ports in the back of your vehicle. Once available, we will invite you to a service appointment to retrofit the ports and activate the wireless phone charging functionality. The 10 minute appointment can be scheduled at your home address.
unqte

Now is it me or is this absolutely not on? Delivering a car that isn't completely built with half the functions missing? Other car manufacturers would never think about doing that. I'm not really happy about this.

Anyone who recently had a Q4 Delivery in UK/Ireland had any of these ports/wireless charging functions missing? I want to know whether to expect it or not.
I took delivery on my Model 3 LR on Xmas eve. No usb c installed in the centre console and wireless charging is not working. No call or sms from Tesla to want me though. Pretty poor from them

I took delivery on my Model 3 LR on Xmas eve. No usb c installed in the centre console and wireless charging is not working. No call or sms from Tesla to want me though. Pretty poor from them
Yep same here. 18th Dec delivery and no text. Got new lights though which is a plus. Can’t say I’m missing the usb or wireless charging. 12v in armrest works and I’ve plugged in a usb adaptor in and charge my phone that way.

Reactions: Durzel
Saddly looks like the retrofitted ones are power only - So looks like I'll have to put a ssd or large usb in the glovebox for music.
Not the end of the world but a step backwards IMO
Perhaps worth confirming with someone whose car was delivered with the hub in place… the rear ones are power only but not heard of the front ones being that, unless it’s an undocumented change.

Perhaps worth confirming with someone whose car was delivered with the hub in place… the rear ones are power only but not heard of the front ones being that, unless it’s an undocumented change.
In the latest versiuon of the manual
Note
For some vehicles manufactured after approximately November 1, 2021, the center console USB ports may only support charging devices. Use the USB port inside the glove box for all other functions.

So I think I will try talking to customer service but not sure I'll get far :(

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel and Adopado
In the latest versiuon of the manual
Note
For some vehicles manufactured after approximately November 1, 2021, the center console USB ports may only support charging devices. Use the USB port inside the glove box for all other functions.

So I think I will try talking to customer service but not sure I'll get far :(

I think it's worth a go, even though you may not succeed. If I understand correctly the only data USB in the car is therefore in the glove box and already taken up with the dashcam recording stick. Claim you are going to be a frequent user of music files and a regular user of games features so kindly provided by Tesla (requiring a game controller) ... If all else fails I suppose you can put a mini USB hub in the glove box ...

Reactions: Durzel
I think it's worth a go, even though you may not succeed. If I understand correctly the only data USB in the car is therefore in the glove box and already taken up with the dashcam recording stick. Claim you are going to be a frequent user of music files and a regular user of games features so kindly provided by Tesla (requiring a game controller) ... If all else fails I suppose you can put a mini USB hub in the glove box ...
Indeed. I’d be pretty narked off if I was an unlucky one. I know cars are turning up without them installed in some cases, and that’s ok (but still takes some of the shine off) but having a hub installed that doesn’t even do data seems really poor.

As you say at the bare minimum it rules out plugging game controllers in down there. I also wouldn’t want to store an Sentry SSD in the glovebox as that’s where your typical criminal is going to look (lock or no lock)

Reactions: Adopado