Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deloitte: Automakers may have completely overestimated how many people want electric cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The issue, I think, is that Deloitte has conflated hybrids and all-electric under the umbrella term, 'EV'. So, yeah, they are correct in that [certain] EV's do not solve a problem for today's consumers. And to me, those are the hybrids (which is why I never purchased one). But it is the hybrids that the old line manufacturers are primarily investing in.

The article says that all VW and other auto manufacturers will need subsidies to sell their expensive EVs.

This aligns with what Musk said that Tesla is even more competitive without subsidies.

I agree to a certain extent in that several things have to happen to get people to embrace all electric cars. Price is important as well as range, and more places to charge on a trip. There still is this mindset of all electric, this gets people to think that the only place they can charge is at home. I think this will change in the future but getting people off fossil fuel will not be easy.

It entirely depends on the market.

If the European market was a market I was selling cars to I would certainly invest heavily in EV's. I'd be absolutely nuts not to.

It's also easier to have an EV in European markets. A good example of this is the Model 3 where it has a CCS port, and you can charge anywhere that has a CCS port. So it's a lot more standardized than the US where we get to play with dongles anytime we charge anywhere other than a Supercharger or Tesla destination charger.

The European market is going to increasingly restrict ICE cars so even if a person isn't all that interested in EVs they're kind forced to at least consider them.

Plus VW is Europes biggest car maker and as part of the Diesel Gate settlement they have to invest in EV's. They really have no choice in the matter.

All Tesla did was prove that you didn't have to force feed people EV's. That they'd willingly gobble them up if you didn't purposely make them drive and look like turds. It's not that people didn't want EV's. It's that car companies didn't want to sell EV's.

All that needed to happen was for people to wake up to the fact that EV's are a very viable solution for most people. Once that happened it cleared the way.

I agree to a certain extent in that several things have to happen to get people to embrace all electric cars. Price is important as well as range, and more places to charge on a trip. There still is this mindset of all electric, this gets people to think that the only place they can charge is at home. I think this will change in the future but getting people off fossil fuel will not be easy.
40% of the households in this country rent, add about 10% of home owners who will say the same thing:
I have no way of charging my vehicle.

40% of the households in this country rent, add about 10% of home owners who will say the same thing:
I have no way of charging my vehicle.

I always thought this is such a super silly argument. Installing power outlets where people park is trivially easy and super cheap. Its super easy to legislate this problem away by requiring landlords make the upgrade. Additionally renters have choices in where they live, choices where they park and choices with regards to extension cords.

The bigger issue is that as ev penetration becomes substantial, gas stations are going to close more quickly due to the reduced demand. In areas with high ev penetration they will become extremely rare. Costs and inconvenience will rise for the remaining ice vehicle users quickening the demise of the system. Fortunately the problem solves itself either way.