TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Delorean EV and Hovercraft

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by stephenpace, Aug 13, 2012.

1. stephenpace

stephenpace VIN S00219

Elon hates when Tesla is compared with Delorean. We assumed it was for the obvious reasons, but maybe he's running scared of the rebirth? First they come out with an EV version. $95k-$100k before tax credit, a bit less range and performance, sure, but it has something the Model S doesn't: a sweet, sweet early 80s console. We all know the lack of a console is the primary thing that is holding back the Model S:

Electric DeLorean DMC-EV Video – 5min.com

However, the real coup de grâce is the hovercraft option:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LV2x3an3ia8

You might say, who wants a hovercraft option? I say, WHO WOULDN'T? How cool would it be to hit a button on the touchscreen, have the car start hovering, and retract the wheels? Amirite? If someone was going to build a flying car, it should have been Elon, only he's been too busy 'launching rockets'. You think the Model S has a drag coefficient of 0.24 so it could be 'more efficient'? Wrong. It's part of the first step to achieve limited flight. Already the Model X has wings disguised as doors. Clearly, Gen-III will have some flight options. They might as well name it Model F right now.

:)

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

#2 brianman, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKLs9ynZEH0
    Always a bad idea.

3. stephenpace

stephenpace VIN S00219

Sure, that's the goal, but you have to walk before you can fly. Also, if Elon perfects Mr. Fusion, another reason to call it Model F. (However, without the ability to fly, I'm still in the Model E camp for Gen-III, at least for the sedan.)

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

No matter what meaning you have in mind with "Model F", the U.S. market will converge on this:

5. stephenpace

stephenpace VIN S00219

When iPad came out, everyone made the obvious joke and moved on. As I said, I like Model E better, but if the car flies, then my answer to all the haters will be something like, "OH YEAH? WELL MY CAR FLIES, BEAT THAT!" :)

6. v12 to 12v

v12 to 12v Active Member

My hovercraft is full of eels.

I think I'd rather see a high tech amphibious car.

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Wait till someone does this with a Model S

delorean_monster.jpg