Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DeLorean is back and Electric

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd rather wait for the Mr. Fusion conversion:
mr-fusion.jpg

Why would you pay $95k-$100k for a car that has 100 mile range and does 0-60 is 4.9 seconds when Roadsters cost slightly more, had much better range and acceleration (and used Roadsters are going for less)? I am sure some people prefer the look of the Delorean than the Roadster but it would be hard for me to justify such a price.

Why would you pay $95k-$100k for a car that has 100 mile range and does 0-60 is 4.9 seconds when Roadsters cost slightly more, had much better range and acceleration (and used Roadsters are going for less)? I am sure some people prefer the look of the Delorean than the Roadster but it would be hard for me to justify such a price.
Being in my mid-30's currently I have a very soft spot in my heart for the DeLorean. I mean, aside from the wheels and tires the design still looks incredible. But with it's terrible performance could never justify buying one, even as a toy. Now an electric one makes the peformance/efficiency argument go away. Yes, it's crazy expensive but if I had cash sloshing around I'd be interested.

Last edited:
Being in my mid-30's currently I have a very soft spot in my heart for the DeLorean. I mean, aside from the wheels and tires the design still looks incredible. But with it's terrible performance could never justify buying one, even as a toy. Now an electric one makes the peformance/efficiency argument go away. Yes, it's crazy expensive but if I had cash sloshing around I'd be interested.

This pretty much sums it up. I doubt that there are many people who grew up in the 80's who does not secretly want a DeLorean.

Saw the car in person at the NYC Auto Show. The fit and finish of the car seem lacking - for example, the charging port requires that you remove the front grill, so it literally hangs while the cord is plugged in. Also, seems like some of their claims about performance and range are yet to be proven - even the Translogic video shows that the 0-60 time is still to be improved. At any rate, I wish them the best of luck. The more EVs, the better!

NHTSA releases final Low-Volume Manufacturing Rules | DeLorean

That said, with EV’s becoming more mainstream, we’ve been considering switching to an all-electric as the future. It certainly makes for an easier path through emissions maze which still looms large over any internal combustion engine. While an electric Cobra or Morgan may be a little extreme for their potential market, we’ve already seen that an EV DeLorean – as we displayed at the 2012 New York International Auto Show – is not such an “out there” idea.