Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DeLorean

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cattledog

Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Let's see if we can get some discussion going about the upcoming DeLorean. There have a been a few posts scattered in other threads, perhaps we can gain momentum here. They will be releasing more information in several weeks and then a public unveiling in Pebble Beach in August.

I have an opportunity to get one of the first 88, special editions. You can request a VIN. #1 and #88 are gone, VIN doesn't need to be 1-88, just 1-10,000 or so. What would you choose, lowest single digit VIN? Pi (not possible)? Other?

Its fine I guess, probably best to wait for more information before dropping too many thoughts on it but my initial kick is I'm not sure they're coming at it from a unique enough angle to really justify a 100k price point for a(nother) startup sedan. With OEMs at this price point you get a level of luxury, with Tesla and Lucid you get a level of tech, here it looks like we have...gullwing doors? And are those pneumatic struts on the doors? Does that mean they're manual? And I can't tell, some or the renders the side windows look like one piece but in the first render it looks like the front and back windows might be separate? Just has me wondering about rolling windows down on a 4 seater with two doors. Also I wonder if they still have to have rollover contingencies or with EVs being bottom heavy and less prone to rollover that's not a concern?

A potential issue from what the preliminary photos show is the lack of multijointed gullwing doors, without these and infrasonic sensors like on the MX, parking anywhere without a vacant spot on each side would be a nightmare.

A potential issue from what the preliminary photos show is the lack of multijointed gullwing doors, without these and infrasonic sensors like on the MX, parking anywhere without a vacant spot on each side would be a nightmare.
I suspect it will have sensors and a 'summon' feature to get out of tight situations. If automobiles had started with sliding doors like minivans, we'd probably all wonder about the viability of hinged doors in similar situations.

Interesting economic environment for Delorean to choose to move forward with a concept and (presumably) production.

From supply issues to rising interest rates, I’m curious to see what their plan is for financing operations and building production out. Their company is private but it would be helpful to know how much cash they are sitting on. They do have investor relations contact info, presumably they are attempting to attract investor funding?

I’m as nostalgic as anyone for Marty McFly and hoverboards, but such goodwill only takes a formerly bankrupt automaker so far, particularly when the futuristic high end EV space is already well represented by competitors with early starter advantages.

Interesting economic environment for Delorean to choose to move forward with a concept and (presumably) production.

From supply issues to rising interest rates, I’m curious to see what their plan is for financing operations and building production out. Their company is private but it would be helpful to know how much cash they are sitting on. They do have investor relations contact info, presumably they are attempting to attract investor funding?

I’m as nostalgic as anyone for Marty McFly and hoverboards, but such goodwill only takes a formerly bankrupt automaker so far, particularly when the futuristic high end EV space is already well represented by competitors with early starter advantages.
They just raised $60M, will fund engineering expansion and marketing, next round will 10x that, more engineering, design, marketing, HQ, and eventually an IPO. Contract manufacturing through a Foxconn like (or identical) entity. Merchandising potential through online gaming royalties, hot wheels royalties, clothing etc. are large when you have 33M DeLorean club members worldwide and the old gas DeLorean sells $400M/yr in merchandise. Thank you, Mr. Spielberg!